Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 02:03 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Many people know exactly what is being said even though it is hard accepting it.
I'm not sure what your comment means. That said, I was not stating the black slave families that were allowed to exist was a "normal" family life. Far from it. I was simply stating that family units did exist, and were even encouraged often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 02:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I’m black and I don’t even know.

So the white folks in here DEFINITELY don’t know.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:55 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m black and I don’t even know.

So the white folks in here DEFINITELY don’t know.
I think blacks and whites are equally capable at gathering data and endeavoring to find out.

This article I am reading now says it was the sexual revolution and men being let out of the social contract to marry when a woman became pregnant out of wedlock. But it doesn't go into racial differences, it's just talking about out of wedlock births in general.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/a...united-states/

I have a fb friend who is a black man with a pro-black page and he squarely blames black women for choosing welfare money over a man in the house. But he also blames the government and says the welfare polices were designed TO destroy the black family this way. IDK how that works, when the same rules were applied to whites as well.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:55 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Here we go again.."United States..." on and on.

All over the world, blacks have more births out of wedlock than all other races. It's because we can do it, and I'm speaking of nature... Whenever others try forcing us to live their way, we combat it. It always takes time, but eventually, we black folks refuse to abide by other people's way of life. But oh, everyone wants to ignore that part of the truth. As long as there's some form of money to made and shuffled around because of blacks, the problems everyone else has with blacks will continue.
That’s not true. A number of African nations have lower out of wedlock births than the U.S. and other European and Latin American nations.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:03 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
That article in the OP is from 2009, the rate is well above 75% right now.

There’s an excellent article about it. Basically when Democrats started subsidizing and financially incentivizing single parent households, turning emergency funds into a way of life, poor people started having more babies and kicking the fathers out.

It’s simple math really, a single parent can make more money, welfare benefits, and pay less taxes than they can when 2 low income parents are in the house.

Quote:
The most devastating by-product of the mushrooming welfare state was the corrosive effect it had (along with powerful cultural phenomena such as the feminist and Black Power movements) on American family life, particularly in the black community. As provisions in welfare laws offered ever-increasing economic incentives for shunning marriage and avoiding the formation of two-parent families, illegitimacy rates rose dramatically.

For the next few decades, means-tested welfare programs such as food stamps, public housing, Medicaid, day care, and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families penalized marriage. A mother generally received far more money from welfare if she was single rather than married. Once she took a husband, her benefits were instantly reduced by roughly 10 to 20 percent. As a Cato Institute study noted, welfare programs for the poor incentivize the very behaviors that are most likely to perpetuate poverty.
http://archive.discoverthenetworks.o...ry.asp?id=1672

Old 05-07-2020, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think blacks and whites are equally capable at gathering data and endeavoring to find out.

This article I am reading now says it was the sexual revolution and men being let out of the social contract to marry when a woman became pregnant out of wedlock. But it doesn't go into racial differences, it's just talking about out of wedlock births in general.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/a...united-states/

I have a fb friend who is a black man with a pro-black page and he squarely blames black women for choosing welfare money over a man in the house. But he also blames the government and says the welfare polices were designed TO destroy the black family this way. IDK how that works, when the same rules were applied to whites as well.
Your FB friend is a great example of why I said what I did. The “welfare money over a man” nonsense is another oversimplification of something that’s extremely complicated.

Black folks haven’t even been able to nail down why this keeps happening, therefore white folks DAMN SURE don’t know. The black family dynamic is at the bottom of this thing, and there’s no way in hell that white folks have a good enough glimpse of that to make any real synopsis that’s worth listening to. The black community (if you wanna call it that) is too insular and clannish for me to trust the opinion of an outsider.

In any case, I feel like I have some idea of why this happens, but I don’t see any benefit to discussing it outside of the community.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That article in the OP is from 2009, the rate is well above 75% right now.

There’s an excellent article about it. Basically when Democrats started subsidizing and financially incentivizing single parent households, turning emergency funds into a way of life, poor people started having more babies and kicking the fathers out.

It’s simple math really, a single parent can make more money, welfare benefits, and pay less taxes than they can when 2 low income parents are in the house.

How the Welfare State Has Devastated African Americans - Discover the Networks
Nah. It ain’t worth the money. The welfare argument is nonsense ON TOP of being trite and tired. It’s lazy analysis.

No one has more babies to get more welfare, and no one rejects getting married in order to get more welfare. It’s laughably illogical and so ridiculous that even postulating it should embarrass anyone who asserts it.

It’s way more complicated than that.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
So
But still, if they all get married, the benefits are cut off or reduced. Pretty crazy to make it like that. If they changed the way they calculated for benefits, the incentive to remain/become single mothers would go away.
Bingo, we have a winner. A single mother with 4 kids isn’t doing that for her health, she’s doing it because it’s more profitable than being married and having a working father in the house.

You must reform the welfare or we will see more blacks grow up in more single parent households. I think it’s at 80% right now.

This sources is from 2015, and it was 77% of blacks born out of wedlock.

Quote:
More than three quarters of African American births are to unmarried women, nearly double the illegitimacy rate of all other births, according to new federal data.

The National Center for Health Statistics said that in 2015, 77.3 percent of non-immigrant black births were illegitimate.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/7...nic-immigrants

Old 05-07-2020, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah. It ain’t worth the money. The welfare argument is nonsense ON TOP of being trite and tired. It’s lazy analysis.

No one has more babies to get more welfare, and no one rejects getting married in order to get more welfare. It’s laughably illogical and so ridiculous that even postulating it should embarrass anyone who asserts it.

It’s way more complicated than that.
There’s nothing complicated at all about it.

Poor people get paid to have kids without fathers.

Do you really think a poor single parent mother wants to be a single parent mother?
Of course not! She gets paid to be one.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Black population has long had higher out of wedlock birth rates than other groups in America. And this started long before the "welfare state".
The rates didn’t “explode” until after the welfare state. Numbers don’t lie.
Quote:
In the mid-1960s, the out-of-wedlock birth rate was scarcely 3% for whites, 7.7% for Americans overall, and 24.5% among blacks. By 1976, those figures had risen to nearly 10% for whites, 24.7% for Americans as a whole, and 50.3% for blacks in particular. In 1987, for the first time in the history of any American racial or ethnic group, the birth rate for unmarried black women surpassed that for married black women. Today the illegitimacy rates stand at 41% for the nation overall, and 73% for African Americans specifically.
How the Welfare State Has Devastated African Americans - Discover the Networks

So we blacks went from 24% out of wedlock to 50% to 73%. Now we’re at around 78%.

And you think paying poor single mothers to have kids has nothing to do with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies