Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 07:30 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,475,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Agreed. Asians are doing better than pretty much everyone in this nation, it's a perfect time for liberals to remind us how much we suck as a country. As they always feel the need to do.
Yes, Asians tend to do very well in this country. This could be an interesting documentary as long as it doesn't turn in to a "look at how horribly Asians were treated by white people" whine fest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 07:33 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
if someone is so stupid as to be anti-asian or anti-chinese towards those who are their own neighbors and living in America and can't distinguish between the bad actions of a Nation(China) and an individual I don't think anything can fix that level of ignorance.
While what you say it true, and I would never promote or defend racists comments or actions, I do understand people who are a little suspicious. Many Chinese, even those living in the US do have different standards and cultural practices than we do. There is also an element within the Chinese that give them a bad name. For example, the town I grew up in had a Chinese restaurant that was closed down several times because they were caught passing off squirrel meat as chicken. This happened 3-4 times. Each time they open back up under a different name. Then, there are the "massage" parlors that are actually sex shops, oftentimes employing people who have been forced into it through human trafficking. In general, the Chinese are known to be copycats, meaning, they don't invent on their own, but copy what others have done. Walk into any Harbor Freight (Harbor Shi$) store to see what I mean.

I would also point out, that I do think there are differences between the Asian cultures. Many Asians do very well in America. They work hard and are very successful. I have all the respect in the world for these fellow Americans. I think it is about being cautious around certain segments of ANY race today. There are bad apples in all of them, and I know I have become less trustful of everyone. It seems like the % of people looking to take advantage of others is growing.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:44 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
While what you say it true, and I would never promote or defend racists comments or actions, I do understand people who are a little suspicious. Many Chinese, even those living in the US do have different standards and cultural practices than we do. There is also an element within the Chinese that give them a bad name. For example, the town I grew up in had a Chinese restaurant that was closed down several times because they were caught passing off squirrel meat as chicken. This happened 3-4 times. Each time they open back up under a different name. Then, there are the "massage" parlors that are actually sex shops, oftentimes employing people who have been forced into it through human trafficking. In general, the Chinese are known to be copycats, meaning, they don't invent on their own, but copy what others have done. Walk into any Harbor Freight (Harbor Shi$) store to see what I mean.

I would also point out, that I do think there are differences between the Asian cultures. Many Asians do very well in America. They work hard and are very successful. I have all the respect in the world for these fellow Americans. I think it is about being cautious around certain segments of ANY race today. There are bad apples in all of them, and I know I have become less trustful of everyone. It seems like the % of people looking to take advantage of others is growing.
It's important to differentiate between Chinese and Chinese-Americans. A Chinese-American who was born and raised in the US isn't any more likely to try to pass off weird meat as chicken as any other American restaurateur. They aren't likely to open up, let alone work in, a "massage parlour."

Most of the current Chinese immigrants to the US are coming in for an education and higher salaries, and are more likely to be doctors or open businesses than they are to engage in crime. That's not to say that they're all saints, of course... But these days if you're Chinese and want to be a grifter, you probably can do it more fruitfully domestically than in the US.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:59 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Yes, Asians tend to do very well in this country. This could be an interesting documentary as long as it doesn't turn in to a "look at how horribly Asians were treated by white people" whine fest.
We know Asians were treated badly. Not as bad as other groups but they did face discrimination.

You can choose not to watch if you don’t want to.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:32 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
if someone is so stupid as to be anti-asian or anti-chinese towards those who are their own neighbors and living in America and can't distinguish between the bad actions of a Nation(China) and an individual I don't think anything can fix that level of ignorance.
Does that include Trump, who somehow can't distinguish between the motivations of an Asian living in America and the motivations of China?

Old 05-12-2020, 12:18 PM

273 posts, read 96,731 times
I watched the documentary last night,,
it was sad none of them were in the celebration photo of the final golden spike being driven in

and there was a really moving story about the guy rushing into his house after the earthquake to get his birth certificate only to be stabbed by a soldier for being mistaken as a robber, that story was sad

Old 05-12-2020, 04:25 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
Lastnight's episode on Japanese Americans being put in those camps during WWII was interesting. They highlighted a Japanese-American family that was split over that experience. One older brother sided with the Japanese because he felt like he had more opportunities in Japan because of American racism. The other family members sided with the U.S despite the racism. It was a complicated family situation.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:39 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Lastnight's episode on Japanese Americans being put in those camps during WWII was interesting. They highlighted a Japanese-American family that was split over that experience. One older brother sided with the Japanese because he felt like he had more opportunities in Japan because of American racism. The other family members sided with the U.S despite the racism. It was a complicated family situation.
I didn't watch the documentary, but it sounds like they're describing the family that was the subject of this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Broa...s%2C238&sr=1-1

Old 05-12-2020, 04:41 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
The subject of Asians in America is interesting to me, but I just can't bring myself to watch this show. I don't trust PBS to do this without it becoming a "blame whitey" thing.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:44 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
We know Asians were treated badly. Not as bad as other groups but they did face discrimination.

You can choose not to watch if you don’t want to.
I wonder if the PBS show will have any content on the bullying of Asian students in public schools, or the anti-Asian sentiment in some inner-cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies