Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 07:07 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
At some point in time.....you have to be CONTROLLED, temporarily, for your own good as an entity. It's about collective good vs individual good. As a society, you have to be flexible and oscillate between the two when NEEDED. The problem with the right is that it sees any attempt to promote collective well being....as a threat to their individual well being, permanently. You all are NUTS.....with your guns just looking for any excuse for a revolution of some sort. You just want to STAND OUT and drape the American flag like you are some kind of got dam patriot.
I am sure that if this country were to be invaded, this guy would join the ranks of the enemy against you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 07:08 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I wonder if Rush wears mask and ignores social distancing?
I don’t care for Rush, but what does him wearing masks have to do with anything? I don’t see anyone saying not to practice social distancing and that masks are a bad idea. Some idiots are not doing it, but I would bet that is both liberals and conservatives. I am all for opening up the country while taking the necessary precautions. We need to do this in order to save our civilization, but liberals have just one goal in mind...do not let Trump win a second term no matter the cost.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:08 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
The US came into economic dominance partly the result of WWII having destroyed all the major world economies. Keep that in mind. That event catapulted the US into the leading power in the world.

Something similar is going on now, but not with war, but the virus. Essentially, the West inability to control the virus will do for Asia (China, South Korea, Japan, etc) what WWII did for America. The countries that can get the virus under control and get their economies going, simultaneously, are going to move to the front of the world while those that languish in their ability to come together, as a collective, are going to fall the wayside.

This is clear. It would be one thing is the WHOLE WORLD was failing to control and contain the virus while minimizing the economic impact. However, that is not the case. The countries that can do this are the countries of the future.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:11 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
More BS.

People want to be safe and healthy.

I don't want to struggle and die to help your stock portfolio. No thanks.

Then stay barricaded in your house like a hermit.

Don't insist that everyone else does because you're afraid of a virus that many of people who get it don't even know they have it, and only has a less than a 1% mortality rate.

And definitely don't be asking any essential employees to do anything for you to enable you to stay home 24/7.

If your air conditioning breaks down this summer, don't be calling an essential repairman to risk his life and health to fix it.

Hunt and grow your own food instead of expecting essential truckers, grocery store, take out employees and GrubHub drivers to bring it to you.

Then you can earn your self righteous smugness.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I am sure that if this country were to be invaded, this guy would join the ranks of the enemy against you.
Nope. I definitely would not join their ranks because the invaders probably don't like black people either.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:20 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Rush is absolutely correct. The communist democrats and the never Trump RInos will do everything in their power to save the swamp. And if the American people are collateral damage so be it!

It will be a war between good people like me versus evil power hungry liberal progressives. With the help of God hopefully good will triumph over evil!

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ump_loses.html
Here in my state with the trend running toward getting back to work the leftist wacko governor is showing his true colors.

He does not even want to give up all this new power. Singular control agrees with him. Hes lovin' him some dictatorship.

This has opened up avenues for him to cram his CA transplant Vegas agenda down our throats here in the North under the auspices of public good. Its afforded him opportunity to get certain stalled agendas jump started.

Things are heating up a bit. Getting to resemble two barn cats with their tails tied together tossed over a clothesline.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:27 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
At some point in time.....you have to be CONTROLLED, temporarily, for your own good as an entity. It's about collective good vs individual good. As a society, you have to be flexible and oscillate between the two when NEEDED. The problem with the right is that it sees any attempt to promote collective well being....as a threat to their individual well being, permanently. You all are NUTS.....with your guns just looking for any excuse for a revolution of some sort. You just want to STAND OUT and drape the American flag like you are some kind of got dam patriot.

Holy Crap......

It's unbelievable that there are actually people who think like you.

You've been watching too many Star Treck reruns in quarantine?

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".

No.

The rights of the individual outweighs the perceived "needs" of the many.

You're big on minority rights.......

Which is really ironic, because the smallest, most at risk minority is the individual.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:30 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
The issue at this point is figuring out what constitutes the collective good and what constitutes the individual good. Right now it is in my individual good for society to stay as closed down as possible, for as long as possible. We own our home outright, there’s just the two of us, my husband gets a government pension, my job is strictly online, my husband can do his job from home thanks to video conferencing, we can afford to order whatever we want or need, we communicate all the time with friends and relatives via video conferencing, we can afford to hire others to run errands, we are both old enough we are at-risk, we both have other underlying medical conditions that would make getting Covid-19 potentially deadly, and if the country opens I, in particular, will still need to remain in isolation. However, that is us - we are very much in the minority. There are people who aren’t sure how they are going to pay for food next week, people who haven’t been able to pay rent, children being abused, people completely cut off from other human contact, crucial medical care being forestalled, people losing their life savings, mental health care not being received, increased suicides, people abusing drugs or alcohol out of boredom or despair, jobs being lost, an increase in domestic violence calls and severity, and the long term effects of all this will last a very long time after I’ve left this Earth. So, you see, in my opinion it is in the common, collective good to re-open. This isn’t about me. I don’t think other people’s lives should continue to be destroyed to prevent me from getting sick.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Holy Crap......

It's unbelievable that there are actually people who think like you.

You've been watching too many Star Treck reruns in quarantine?

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".

No.

The rights of the individual outweighs the perceived "needs" of the many.

You're big on minority rights.......

Which is really ironic, because the smallest, most at risk minority is the individual.
Yep....we see things differently. I will see you are the front.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:37 AM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
More BS.

People want to be safe and healthy.

I don't want to struggle and die to help your stock portfolio. No thanks.
So you’re enjoying receiving government handouts and are banking on more to come while you sit on your ass all day watching nextflix......

Honestly doesn’t sound to bad. I wouldn’t mind living the deadbeat life for a few weeks just to see how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies