Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 08:42 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/cd...063Ixv0hor7SKs

Quote:
For those of you still wiping down groceries and other packages amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, breathe a sigh of relief: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now says the novel virus “does not spread easily” from "touching surfaces or objects" — but experts warn that doesn’t mean it’s no longer necessary to take "practical and realistic" precautions in stopping the spread of COVID-19.

Though it’s not exactly clear when, the federal health agency appears to have recently changed its guidelines from early March that simply said it “may be possible” to spread the virus from contaminated surfaces. The CDC now includes "surfaces or objects" under a section that details ways in which the coronavirus does not readily transmit.
So...just what have the "experts" gotten right on this virus?

-No human to human transmission
-No need for tests from foreign countries, our own industry or universities-the CDC has this (and banned all other tests). Only to screw the pooch hard and waste a month at the start of this pandemic
-If you touch anything another person has you're going to die.
-We NEED 500,000 ventilators
-2-5 million Americans will die
-Masks bayd
-We need to "lockdown" for a couple of weeks to "flatten the curve"
-You can't go outside without a mask on
-We need to "lockdown" for a few years until there is a vaccine

If it wasn't so serious, our "experts" would be a damn joke. Just what have they gotten right during this whole thing? These "experts" are responsible for 30 million Americans losing their jobs, hundreds of thousands of businesses destroyed, life's savings lost.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:47 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Further studies leads to new updates.

So this is good news. It alleviates some of the panic...

Unfortunately dimwits are gonna jump to conclusions...

Old 05-20-2020, 08:56 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
So, as I had said before, I suspected SOME of the current conclusions more than a month ago. The number just weren't doubling that quickly, and then when it turned out that COVID-19 was actually in the U.S. quite a bit before March 1st, I realized that if COVID-19 was THAT contagious, there would have been millions and millions of cases and many thousands of deaths in the U.S. before April 1st.

So, yes, I am now, finally, not going to be quite so paranoid -- but I wonder how many people are going to be so sanguine about having so much of their freedom curtailed (and possibly losing their jobs) due to the experts, apparently, being so wrong. (I do think it is too soon to sound the "All Clear", though -- but I do hope that almost all places will start reopening now!)

Bottom line: Do I think this was much ado about almost nothing at first? No, I don't. Do I think that the lock-downs and stay-at-home orders have been going on much longer than justified in most places? Yes, I most definitely do.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:57 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
So...if that’s the case, can we drop the whole let’s ban gyms, gloves, etc BS?

Otherwise, why are all these basic things banned?

Old 05-20-2020, 09:04 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

It’s almost as if it’s less risky to follow certain medically prudent precautions until definitive studies are concluded, allowing us to use the results to enact more focused measures......

Old 05-20-2020, 09:10 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
It’s almost as if it’s less risky to follow certain medically prudent precautions until definitive studies are concluded, allowing us to use the results to enact more focused measures......
How was any of this worth all the effort? We just ended up with less sick people than what what would've been if he hadn't done anything... My jimmies are rustled I say.. Rustled..

Old 05-20-2020, 09:12 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
How was any of this worth all the effort? We just ended up with less sick people than what what would've been if he hadn't done anything
Why do you believe that?

Old 05-20-2020, 09:15 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,303 times
This virus is new. Expect everyone to reverse themselves countless of times as evidence keeps coming forward. I think as a common sense precaution, treat surfaces as being possible to spread the virus.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:17 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,983 times
Quote:
How was any of this worth all the effort? We just ended up with less sick people than what what would've been if he hadn't done anything... My jimmies are rustled I say.. Rustled..
Lol.... I’d like to think you’re being facetious, yea?

That being said I am amazed that some of these posters believe erring on the side of caution somehow discredits 99% of the experts.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:20 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,787,818 times
Quote:

Exactly. You err on the side of caution until new evidence comes available. You change the guidelines when you have gathered sufficient evidence to confirm a hypothesis - that's how science works.

It's common sense and not controversial whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies