Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 07:51 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/cd...063Ixv0hor7SKs

So...just what have the "experts" gotten right on this virus?

-No human to human transmission
-No need for tests from foreign countries, our own industry or universities-the CDC has this (and banned all other tests). Only to screw the pooch hard and waste a month at the start of this pandemic
-If you touch anything another person has you're going to die.
-We NEED 500,000 ventilators
-2-5 million Americans will die
-Masks bayd
-We need to "lockdown" for a couple of weeks to "flatten the curve"
-You can't go outside without a mask on
-We need to "lockdown" for a few years until there is a vaccine

If it wasn't so serious, our "experts" would be a damn joke. Just what have they gotten right during this whole thing? These "experts" are responsible for 30 million Americans losing their jobs, hundreds of thousands of businesses destroyed, life's savings lost.
Not really good news. That would mean that people are mostly getting infected via airborne transmission or droplets. That is much harder to prevent.....unless everyone is wearing masks. Of course, wearing or not wearing masks has been turned by Republicans as symbolism of political protest. It's all about protecting Trump.

They are not scared of the virus and they will not wear mask....but they are scared to death of inner-cities and want to be armed because they think they will be robbed or killed by "one of them", so they practice social distancing from inner-cities. Losers. Move way out to exurbia.....take their kids out of schools.....all out of fear.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
so your take is a President should act independently of our countries medical experts. Got it. That has been the overwhelming criticism of the President, he's acted independently of the experts. You appear to be somewhat mixed up.
That is exactly the opposite of what I said.

I think they are but one data-input.

Am I understanding you to say that they should follow (or ignore) what the medical experts say, without considering other inputs? That seems to be what happens on some days, and then on other days, the economic experts weigh in, and they act on that. Next day, the governors speak, and he bends to them, the next day his base rages, and he reverses again.

My point was, and remains, he needs to have the ability to take ALL inputs in, have command of the situation, and make an informed policy, yet have the ability to evolve as facts and information evolve.

As I said, he either can't, or won't. Either way, it's just not happening. And yes, that's an opinion. Yours certainly may vary, and I respect that. (My wife's opinion is the exact opposite, and I respect hers too.)

Old 05-21-2020, 07:55 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
Its odd to see people poking their head out of a fox hole looking at 100,000 dead bodies and saying this was all for nothing.
Now that they are not dead it was a waste of time. I got news for you, you are not dead yet. We have probalby a year of this left if we are lucky. 2/3rd's of the population doesn't feel safe until there is a vacination. This economy will stay wrecked. locked down or not.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:56 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
[quote=Indentured Servant;58167285]Not really good news. That would mean that people are mostly getting infected via airborne transmission or droplets. That is much harder to prevent.....unless everyone is wearing masks. Of course, wearing or not wearing masks has been turned by Republicans as symbolism of political protest. It's all about protecting Trump.

They are not scared of the virus and they will not wear mask....but they are scared to death of inner-cities and want to be armed because they think they will be robbed or killed by "one of them", so they practice social distancing from inner-cities. Losers. Move way out to exurbia.....take their kids out of schools.....all out of fear.[/QUOTE]

so you somehow turn this topic into some kind of racial issue. I truly feel sorry for you.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:15 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
The sad part is, these asclowns are holding us hostage from doing basic things like going to concerts or our kids going to school. I read the CDC guidelines for reopening schools and it's insanity. It basically makes school seem like a prison sentence instead of being actual kids.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/cdc...ol-in-the-fall
Children are walking petri dishes. They're still learning to cover their mouths and nose when they cough or sneeze. Children still run their hands right up on their faces after they've coughed or sneezed, or if they have the sniffles, instead of getting a Kleenex.

I've also watched a whole lot of videos - family vlogs, as they are called - and in many of them, the kids are actually learning faster, they are enjoying learning more (so many apps that they use, not just a Zoom class room), and are having more time with their parents instead of their parents dropping them off for someone else to take care of from 5 years old until they're 18), and some of them are doing the learning apps even after their parents have "ended" their in home school day.

However, despite my belief that homeschooling is far superior to public schooling, if done correctly, the fact is, the way that we have told society is the "correct" way to live means that those parents have to work, so online classes from home aren't workable for a lot of people without major disruptions to their lives.

Having a smaller class room not only benefits the kids from sneezing and coughing on each other, it also benefits them by having more one on one time with the teacher - which will only improve their grades, and their lot in life later on. I think that's a good idea.

I completely agree about having better air circulation. Many offices that people work in don't have proper air circulation with fresh air from the outside. People breathe in the same office air that gets recycled - it's disgusting.

Have kids bring their own meals - far better than the slop they serve in school. But, we're going to have an issue, and a whole lot of back and forth arguments because some people get free breakfast and lunch at school. How are those kids going to bring their own food if their parents say that they only have enough money to feed their kids dinner?

Keeping kids' belongings and supplies separate means it's less likely that they will be taken by another kid, teachers won't have to spend so much on supplies because they won't run out of the 500 pencils that they bought at the beginning of the year, 2 months into the school year. for example.

I do not agree about closing the playgrounds. Kids need to get out and burn off that energy or they won't be able to concentrate. Cafeterias don't need to be closed down, either. Just space them out. If you can stagger arrival times, you can stagger lunch times.

Some of their guidelines are actually beneficial for the kids. Some of them aren't.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:18 AM

989 posts, read 456,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We based our national policy on the "expertise" of these people. We shut down the nation's economy and put 30 million people out of work, for what we are seeing now was for no reason. I have friends that have lost their businesses, their life's work, over the mistakes of these experts. Others that are unemployed, and because they were private businessmen (contractors) have been unable to get UE.

We dramatically over-reacted, destroyed millions of lives, and likely have put this country into a recession. Some governors are still listening and keeping their citizens from making a living. All because of bureaucrats that haven't gotten anything right during this bug. Yet actual medical experts, doctors on the front lines, are being shut down, called quacks, being ridiculed....while we are forced to listen to the bureaucrats, many of whom haven't seen a patient in decades. If they are even doctors or scientists. We throw out the scientific method of testing a variety of hypothesis and just go with the bureaucrat's blind statements.
This is a perfect post of what was going to happen and the attitude that would be demonstrated if shutdowns were to occur to stop the upward trajectory (sorry I'm tired of the Flatten the Curve words) this virus was taking to make sure we didn't become an Italy. It has slowed down, most certainly because of our reactions. Now whether or not this was a good or bad thing to do to save some lives and not overwhelm hospitals in the short term was a good decision, well, that depends on your perspective. But I think we are doing ourselves a disservice to say this was the wrong thing to do.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:43 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,880,794 times
The scientific method isn't even necessary here - just 4th grade math.

There are 300 thousand empty hospital beds in the USA. Approximately what percent of 300 million people do you think can catch this virus before there are zero beds left? 1 percent. Yep. Maybe I'm wrong and it's 2 percent. Point is - it ain't very many. (Assumes just 10% will need a bed. Maybe it's less. Or maybe it's more. I don't know. You don't know. Fauci doesn't know. But a guess has to be made and decisions ride on that guess.)

50 million school kids, many with 2 parents - get just 5% of those kids sick at once - and our country will shut down. Why? Because when your hospitals are full, nothing else matters, not even your 401K or your constitutional rights.

It's THAT CLOSE to being THAT BAD. If you think that's bad math - do it yourself and show me where it's wrong. Post your theory WITH the scientific method showing that the virus does not exist, and that it is not contagious.

PS - hospitalization is not just for old people. Nope. Anyone can be a winner.

PSS - Skeddy - it's ALWAYS been primarily transmitted by droplets - it's a respiratory illness.

PSSS - anyone that is confused by 1 meter versus 6 feet and is calling that conflicting info must really be bothered when one state says 65mph is safe and another says 70. The farther, the better - 2 meters would be better. 100 would be even better. It's not an intentional conflict - they stated a meter, so we went a little farther - 6 feet. It's not that hard to understand.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:16 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
I suppose if some one sneezed on a suface and you put your finger right on the spot that a 100 nanometer particle landed and then proceded to put your finger in your nose, yes you might get covid from a surface.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:06 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
This is a perfect post of what was going to happen and the attitude that would be demonstrated if shutdowns were to occur to stop the upward trajectory (sorry I'm tired of the Flatten the Curve words) this virus was taking to make sure we didn't become an Italy. It has slowed down, most certainly because of our reactions. Now whether or not this was a good or bad thing to do to save some lives and not overwhelm hospitals in the short term was a good decision, well, that depends on your perspective. But I think we are doing ourselves a disservice to say this was the wrong thing to do.
My concern is that America (and the world, too) is going to suffer from what I'll call Near Miss Syndrome. Something really bad almost happens, but it isn't as bad as you think, so the next time something similar comes along, possibly far far worse, we'll just say "Oh, we dealt with this before - no big deal." Think about people that evacuate from a hurricane that winds up missing and causing just heavy rain and some gusty winds. Those same people are more likely to ignore evacuation orders the next time because "well, they got it wrong once! I'm not leaving!"

In a decade or so, a Stephen King The Stand-type virus might spread across the world. And we will take no appropriate action whatsoever because "remember 2020 when only 300,000 people died from some virus!? Surely this one won't be any worse since you know, they must all be the same."

Old 05-21-2020, 01:16 PM

606 posts, read 355,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
so if "they" need to gather relevant data, test their hypothesis, and research (of course they do) why tell us xyz before they gather relevant data, test their hypothesis, and research?
The experts gave their expert knowledge and advice that leaders used to make life altering decisions that affected everyone.

If you dont yet know, dont give out false information. That is no different than random people going on social media and proclaiming drinking lots of alcohol will kill the virus. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, we havent actually gathered relevant data, tested our hypothesis, or researched it.
Because people were showing up to emergency rooms and presenting with severe respiratory symptoms; a lot were spiraling towards death very quickly, and doctors couldn't figure out what it was. When you're dealing with something novel, you really can't afford to wait to gather more data, test hypotheses, and research. It could have been Bubonic plague level. And if it were, if we would have waited till people were dropping dead left and right, it would have been much too late to do anything and we would have all been completely screwed, even the ones that managed to survive.

Thankfully, it's not Bubonic plague level, but scientists were able to hypothesize correctly that it was leagues above flu. Almost 100,000 dead since March with shelter in place, and people are still arguing we went too far. We don't even have a placebo in any other part of the world to see how truly bad this could have been if we had done absolutely nothing and proceeding on with life as usual. Every county in the world that has the virus has had some form of mitigation to contain the virus, even Sweden.

Mitigating a pandemic is a lose/lose, but it has to be done. The same people complaining now about scientists and experts revising guidelines as they get more information are the same people who would've b***** and moaned about scientists' lack of knowledge had nothing been done and we had millions dead. Either way, they would have sown distrust in science because the way they look at it, both outcomes are bad.

Like I said, it's a lose/lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies