Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 02:34 PM

989 posts, read 456,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What, exactly, do you base that conclusion on? In crowded, densely packed, cities, it spread anyway. 25% of NYC, some 2 million people, were found to be infected when antibody studies were done-back in mid April. This well after the lockdown started. With 25% of the population infected, your "lockdown" was an utter failure. Especially in a city like NYC that is so crowded-1 of every 4 people you come across has had it (again, more than a month ago-undoubtedly more now!). In a crowded city, it's going to spread, with or without a lockdown.

Yet other states initiated NO lockdowns. Most of them had minimal transmission (on the order of 1/30th of what NY State had). In a dispersed area, it's not spreading quickly, with or without a lockdown (a handful of isolated employers/meat packing facilities excepted). Oh, those meat packing facilities? "Essential businesses"-they would have been open even with a "lockdown" in those states. Something the FUD-packers ignore.

So how do you conclude that "our reactions", aka "lockdowns" did anything? I agree that when things first started getting bad, they were the right thing to do. We simply didn't know any better-and as bad as this is-it COULD have been a lot worse-by a factor of 20 or more as the "experts" told us. But it's been obvious for weeks now that the lockdown, if it accomplished anything, had a minimal impact. Especially now, as the weather is warmer and sunnier, it's time for them to go away, at least for those that aren't elderly or with other negative conditions.
It's actually not obvious that they accomplished very little. I think you need to prove to me that they were worthless. You can't ask someone to prove an event that did not happen, such as how bad the numbers could have been if we did nothing. Common sense will tell you that they would be worse. So while you criticize me for my conclusions, your suppositions are nothing but your own personal conclusions based on how angry you are over the economy and not on any data. You have an opinion, I have an opinion and they differ. I'll always side with the medical experts and their modeling. Death numbers were much higher, but staying in certainly ramped the trajectory downward instead of climbing. I choose to believe that our actions impacted that. You choose to believe that they flattened on their own.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Have they also said how long exactly we are supposed to lockdown for her?
Why are you whining when you're getting what you want? All 50 states are loosening their restrictions, many of them in the face of more cautious advice.

It's a big natural, uncontrolled experiment. Are you sure the results will be what you want?

Old 05-21-2020, 02:40 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Not so sure i wanna take that without a grain of salt

Old 05-21-2020, 02:46 PM

606 posts, read 355,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It is lying. Tell the truth. That they dont know how deadly, how contagious, how it is spread. Tell what they do know about similar viruses, enforce common sense precautions and update the public when they do have info.
Its pretty much known now the covid deaths are overstated. i'm basing it on articles, interviews written facts and the fact that hospitals are paid more. We have all seen the greed caused by the stimulus.

As far as actual sickness and death no its not bad enough to ruin peoples livelihoods and tank the economy IMO.
What are common sense precautions? The only precautions we are used to taking are washing hands and staying home when sick. Many people don’t even stay home when they’re sick; in fact, they wear it as a badge of honor when they fight through it and show up for work. COVID also brought to the light the fact that lots of people don’t even wash their hands properly. It’s also easy to tell when you have flu, the incubation period is much shorter, half the population is vaccinated and has pretty good immunity to it.

Are we used to standing 6 feet away from each other and not gathering in crowds when it’s flu season? Would people have done this on their own if they weren’t advised to? Our flu precautions would have done jack to contain this virus.

You’re still ignoring that the fact that if you take the wait and see approach without doing anything besides washing your hands (and we found out that a lot of people were not used to doing even that properly), the damage with human lives is already done.

Also, some people are completely ignoring the fact that lots of private enterprise started shutting down before government directives. The NBA decided to cancel their season on their own. Disney World shut down before they were ever directed to.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:46 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
New discoveries being made? Good. Science marches on.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:16 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Imagine if Trump* actually let a gamut of real experts on stage to take questions, who weren’t yes-men in the first place? Can you imagine?
so Fauci, Birx, Giroir, the Logistics Military leader, the CDC who provided synopsis of how quickly the virus was killed with sunshine, disinfectant, etc .... those people?

No, Trump stepped on his dick with the "maybe there's someway you could cleanse the inside" and that's the only thing the media cared about for 2+ weeks.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:20 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so Fauci, Birx, Giroir, the Logistics Military leader, the CDC who provided synopsis of how quickly the virus was killed with sunshine, disinfectant, etc .... those people?

No, Trump stepped on his dick with the "maybe there's someway you could cleanse the inside" and that's the only thing the media cared about for 2+ weeks.
Lol, where’s Fauci again? Oh, right, he said something anti-Trump and is rarely allowed to talk on stage anymore.

Did you see where I literally specified “a gamut of real experts....who weren’t yes-men”?

Didn’t think so.

Oh, and nice of you to babble on about Trump’s sunshine/disinfectant comments as if they were relevant to the conversation.

Last edited by subaru5555; 05-21-2020 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-21-2020, 03:28 PM

922 posts, read 1,112,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
What are common sense precautions? The only precautions we are used to taking are washing hands and staying home when sick. Many people don’t even stay home when they’re sick; in fact, they wear it as a badge of honor when they fight through it and show up for work. COVID also brought to the light the fact that lots of people don’t even wash their hands properly. It’s also easy to tell when you have flu, the incubation period is much shorter, half the population is vaccinated and has pretty good immunity to it.

Are we used to standing 6 feet away from each other and not gathering in crowds when it’s flu season? Would people have done this on their own if they weren’t advised to? Our flu precautions would have done jack to contain this virus.

You’re still ignoring that the fact that if you take the wait and see approach without doing anything besides washing your hands (and we found out that a lot of people were not used to doing even that properly), the damage with human lives is already done.

Also, some people are completely ignoring the fact that lots of private enterprise started shutting down before government directives. The NBA decided to cancel their season on their own. Disney World shut down before they were ever directed to.
It's called liability, hun Don't forget that we're a happily litigious society. Anyone dying or getting ill from their visit to see Mickey or LeBron and blaming DW and the NBA would be a PR nightmare for those companies and the bottom line always takes precedent over safety.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:24 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Lol, where’s Fauci again? Oh, right, he said something anti-Trump and is rarely allowed to talk on stage anymore.

Did you see where I literally specified “a gamut of real experts....who weren’t yes-men”?

Didn’t think so.

Oh, and nice of you to babble on about Trump’s sunshine/disinfectant comments as if they were relevant to the conversation.
so you're saying all of the above - except perhaps Fauci - are "yes men"? I don't think there's been a regular TF briefing at all this week. I do recall Fauci there AFTER his Senate hearing though.

Trump's comments aren't relevant - so why is the media obsessed with them and not the questions I posed earlier?

Old 05-21-2020, 04:27 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
The CDC often gets things wrong, go with your gut feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies