Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 03:10 AM

8,245 posts, read 3,499,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Really??? You are the perfect specimen for self employment and working when you want, or in your case, when you can.
I take 3 months off my construction gig, just to go sit in the deer & hog woods.

While your sick at home can you run a router and use simple hand tools?
I have $110 in parts and after milling and assembly I sell them for $250- $300 and I do 5 a day..... Part time, in the evenings, during "normal times".
Sick means sick. I do not fake sick. I don't know how to run routers or do coding or any other computer stuff. I am not proficient in anything computer related. I can do ultra basic stuff and that's it. I learned stuff on a typewriter and the college didn't bring computers in until towards my finishing the degree. My sick often relates to puking, losing energy fast, bleeding from my intestines, and severe physical pain. I randomly doze off from exhaustion throughout the day. Then, I randomly mess on myself throughout the day (which is one of the big things that kept getting me fired). I don't even have stamina for basic household chores for at least the first week after chemo and mostly am sick on my stomach, dizzy, and sleep as much as I can. The stomach sickness eases into the second week, but doesn't go away completely. Then the third week that part is usually gone but the other symptoms are still there. But I can't go off the chemo or I will die from my immune system attacking my body.

I am not a man. I am a woman. I am not into hand tools, construction, or anything of the sort. In addition to Crohn's disease, I have arthritis in my pelvis, back, knees, and hands. I have bone on bone in one knee and you can hear the bones grind sometimes if you listen when I go up and down stairs. I have degenerative disc disease with four bad discs. I have neurological damage from my forced husband bashing my head into a wall and other objects leaving me with traumatic brain injury. I randomly get dizzy and fall down. My neurologist thought I was having seizures, but Medicaid wouldn't approve the test to see if I have seizures or not so I got to keep my driver's license and whether or not I have seizures is unknown. (The ALJ cited results from a test that had never been conducted to 'prove' that I don't have seizures as I claim when it was my neurologist, not I, who claimed I may have seizures.) Now I have a spinal cord injury too thanks to my car wreck. I cannot go into construction. I can barely lift ten pounds. The jobs I couldn't physically do were a lot less demanding than all of that.

No client is going to wait around weeks for when you might be able to get around to waiting on them. They will go to someone who is physically able to do it when they want it. Had Bevin had his way I'd already be dead now. He was going to make it so that everyone on Medicaid had to work 20 hours a week. I'd already been turned down everywhere many times for part time jobs and been turned down for volunteer jobs. There was no way anyone would have hired me. I would have died from lack of medical care. My medical care now runs probably $50k or more a month maybe. The chemo alone is over $42k per dose. No way that random, odd jobs would have paid for that.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:30 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
[quote=skeddy;58167322]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Not really good news. That would mean that people are mostly getting infected via airborne transmission or droplets. That is much harder to prevent.....unless everyone is wearing masks. Of course, wearing or not wearing masks has been turned by Republicans as symbolism of political protest. It's all about protecting Trump.

They are not scared of the virus and they will not wear mask....but they are scared to death of inner-cities and want to be armed because they think they will be robbed or killed by "one of them", so they practice social distancing from inner-cities. Losers. Move way out to exurbia.....take their kids out of schools.....all out of fear.[/QUOTE]

so you somehow turn this topic into some kind of racial issue. I truly feel sorry for you.
These bozos claim that they are not going to live in fear. They walk around without mask to show they are not afraid of the virus and they are not going to be led by fear. Yet, some of these same people live in fear of crime, that is why they want their guns and why they avoid parts of cities and why they want certain school districts and why they move out to exurbia. The political right lives in fear of PEOPLE....Criminal, Terrorist, immigrants...liberals. They would gladly accept government rules and restrictions to keep certain PEOPLE away and make them feel safe.....but a virus......no. It's all about their freedom from fear.

Don't feel sorry for me. Feel sorry for the nation that is in decline and cannot get out of its own way to fight a pandemic because of political partisanship. People are always talking about bringing race into it. The problem is not bringing race into it....the problem is people bringing POLITICS into it (the virus).

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-22-2020 at 06:20 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 05:50 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
The one thing that I have learned is that what we are told is often to control our behavior as opposed to simply telling us what is the plain truth. Remember, early on they said that wide spread testing was not that important. Now its very important to fighting the disease. Then they told us we really did not need to wear mask. Now, wearing masks are an important part of fighting the spread. They told us that these things were not important because our nation did not have the supply to meet the public's demand for these things and needing to ration those things to entities that needed them the most.

Now.....disinfectant wipes are in short supply. Are we being told that the virus transmits mostly from person to person via air now that everyone is making masks and everyone who wants to wear mask can basically get them? Now that disinfectant wipes are in short supply, maybe at hospitals and work environments, people are being fed information to slow down the general consumers demand for such items

Really....I don't trust much of the information coming from the government and CDC. When I want to know what is the best way to fight the virus and what I should be doing, personally, I look to South Korea....not the US.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:40 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
What are common sense precautions? The only precautions we are used to taking are washing hands and staying home when sick. Many people don’t even stay home when they’re sick; in fact, they wear it as a badge of honor when they fight through it and show up for work. COVID also brought to the light the fact that lots of people don’t even wash their hands properly. It’s also easy to tell when you have flu, the incubation period is much shorter, half the population is vaccinated and has pretty good immunity to it.

Are we used to standing 6 feet away from each other and not gathering in crowds when it’s flu season? Would people have done this on their own if they weren’t advised to? Our flu precautions would have done jack to contain this virus.

You’re still ignoring that the fact that if you take the wait and see approach without doing anything besides washing your hands (and we found out that a lot of people were not used to doing even that properly), the damage with human lives is already done.

Also, some people are completely ignoring the fact that lots of private enterprise started shutting down before government directives. The NBA decided to cancel their season on their own. Disney World shut down before they were ever directed to.
Common sense apparently isn't very common.
Yes hand washing which has been and continues to be touted. Stay home when your sick, avoid high density if possible.

According to an estimate by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were approximately 45 million cases of the flu in the United States during the 2017-2018 influenza season, resulting in an estimated 810,000 flu-associated hospitalizations and an estimated 61,000 flu-associated deaths.

The CDC reports that "between 291,000 and 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each year."

None of this makes it ok to give out false information.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Like scientists have said, it's a novel virus and new things are discovered and learned everyday. In the meantime, taking precautions is.....
This is a new virus but we have basic knowledge of viral infections. Taking precautions yes. Giving out specific expert advice based on .. projection, fear, just pulling it out your butt is something else.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:38 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
I am more apt to believe what the CDC says than businesses who are upset that I'm not out linning their pockets with my hard earned cash. Nobody knows whats going to happen. Now that they know the primary concern is indoor air transmission , the best statement that a leading HVAC organization can come up with is , were working on it. They don't even know what to do.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:50 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Does not spread “easily”. Sounds like spread is still possible versus “not at all”

Old 05-22-2020, 11:07 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
This is good news.

We now have more proof that it is spread via droplets. So why on earth are people going out in public without a mask on to stop their droplets from spreading? It seems like the pathway out of this before there's a vaccine is pretty clear - universal masking. Why do people claiming to want to go back to work refuse to back masks?

Old 05-22-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This is good news.

We now have more proof that it is spread via droplets. So why on earth are people going out in public without a mask on to stop their droplets from spreading? It seems like the pathway out of this before there's a vaccine is pretty clear - universal masking. Why do people claiming to want to go back to work refuse to back masks?
We have always known viral infections were spread via droplets.
Why on earth have we not always worn masks that cant filter a 0.1micron?

Old 05-22-2020, 11:31 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is beyond ridiculous anymore. First, it was a "minuscule threat", and it was "don't go out and get masks", and the lock down was "just for 2 weeks so the hospitals aren't overwhelmed", which turned into "it's highly contagious and dangerous" and "wear a mask if you care about anyone" (ludicrous), and "we need to stay locked down longer" (in some places until fricken August), and a whole bunch of "Just you wait..." and "you're selfish" and "good citizen" and "comply", blah, blah, blah to:

"Oh, well, it's actually not spread by touching surfaces...oops, our bad."

And do not sit there and say "Oh we knew that" because if you've visited some of our fine threads on here, many people believed it, and they loved nothing more than to berate people on the basis of "touching things" while you were out in public and not wearing a mask. Apparently, choosing not to wear a mask meant that you were infecting every single thing you touched with Covid 19. The threads are there - feel free to read through them.

Err on the side of caution? Which side?

The overhyped nonsense that has been going on for months, in which some of us said, from the very beginning, that it was overhyped, with a media gleefully spewing out fear mongering to panic everyone, never once telling anyone the full story, just report "new cases" never ever talk about how many had mild symptoms, nor how fast they recovered, how many actually needed to go to the doctor for treatment, just spewed out numbers to scare the crap out of everyone?

OR

Err on the side of 30+ million people out of work, and small businesses that had been around for a few decades having to close their doors permanently - and their entire lives disrupted, their livelihood disrupted, neighborhoods disrupted. People unable to pay their rent, pay their electric, have enough for food - all disrupted.

Over reaching governments who let out dangerous inmates into society, while arresting people on paddle boards in the middle of the ocean by themselves, or people in parks with their family, not anywhere near anyone else (but go to an overflowing Costco, Wal Mart, Target, local grocery store? No problem!), "tracing" and statements that they "will" find you, isolate you, and watch you, all thrown at the populace.

All of that, when it was said, in the beginning, that it was a "minuscule threat", the WHO to this day has on their website that you don't need to wear a mask if you're healthy unless you're around a Covid19 patient, the numbers were skewed - the NYTimes even admitted that, a doctor/representative admitted that, other doctors and nurses were coming out and admitting that - only to be mocked, censored, or so called "discredited" - the sharp rise in suicide and domestic violence, the rise in drug use and child abuse.

That was all "worth it" to some people on here. Instead of what we should have done, and I said it from the start, as did many others: Protect those who are elderly, have compromised immune systems, have 2 + pre-existing conditions, especially if respiratory conditions (asthma, CF, etc), this country decided to go bat spit crazy and destroy millions of lives that didn't need to be touched at all.
Best post on here. Needs to be repeated and read.

Sadly many Americans(not all but enough) are so self absorbed combined with being "dumbed down" can't think for themselves anymore

So it's ok to go to Walmart and Target but a small store that might get 20 customers a day couldn't stay open. Where is the logic in that? There isn't any.

Yes, letting out inmates who if they have no family or friends to take them, where are will they be out on the street and possibly to a neighborhood near them. What could possibly go wrong? People who have nothing left to lose, have nothing left to lose.

But you can get arrested for not wearing a mask in some states, when there isn't an actual law about that? For this virus which as you said has been way overhyped, the media thrives on fear but this has been over the top and outright lies. Propaganda has passing as news has been going on for years, made worse in 2012 with changes to the Smith Mundt Act. For those who don't know what that is, look it up.

In addition to all the points you brought up and they were excellent and I would add in those who have now died due to surgeries and medical treatments being cancelled. Also those who are were scheduled for procedures while maybe not life threating are in great discomfort, an example someone needing hip surgery, as hospitals are laying off staff due to lack of revenue as they sit or the most part empty. I know two nurses who along with coworkers were furloughed....now how does that add up? It doesn't.

But again many Americans don't think about anybody but themselves, don't pay attention or question anything. Maybe some will get it when they see the reality after spending 2 to 3 months in the house binge watching Netflix, here on CD some of us how posted back in late March that unemployment was going to be something none of us have seen got ridiculed...well look where we are now.

On the CA boards some were bragging how their home value hasn't gone down this was in early April, it's Southern CA prices will keep going up, Zillow told them so. Real estate is always the last thing hit in a bad economy, it can even take up to 6 months....well, well it already started, prices (which were overinflated to begin with) are start are coming down big time, the sales market is pretty much dead at this point.

Arrogance combined with ignorance, never turns out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies