Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 04:58 PM

52,271 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Ah, let us explain. Once America was filled with what you consider classic conservatives. And they were perfectly fine. The problem is that in the last decade or so, "conservative" has come to mean something far more extreme and, yes, authoritarian. By its very nature, the word implies looking backward, and resisting change and improvement. In practical terms, it's embodied in Trump's un-American extreme hostility toward immigrants, even though it's not so long ago that his own ancestors arrived here - one of whom had been kicked out of Germany. In general, conservatives these days imply intolerance - of immigrants, of women's rights, of civil rights - and a favoring of money/corporations over people.

I'm not sure what Carlin you're referring to, and wish you had been clearer. Senator Jim Carlin?
George Carlin

Not sure I agree with your assessment, but I appreciate your insight.

Posts like yours is what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 04:58 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I score center slight left on all of the political leaning quizzes I take.

I want to know why some people have such disdain for the right, the conservatives.

I consider myself an old school classic liberal in the vein of Carlin. I don't always agree with the right but it seems like I find myself siding with them more so than the far left. The far left is getting too authoritarian and too much for big government.

I want to know in polite terms why and what is wrong exactly with the conservative crowd and please try and keep it polite and as fact based as we can.
Conservatism has morphed quite a bit in the USA over the past decade. I would suggest you define what you find appealing about conservatism first before posters offer a critique of it.

There is a vast distance from say George Will to say Donald Trump......I know Trump is NOT a "classical conservative" by any stretch. But he is the face of the modern/current GOP.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Conservatism has morphed quite a bit in the USA over the past decade. I would suggest you define what you find appealing about conservatism first before posters offer a critique of it.

There is a vast distance from say George Will to say Donald Trump......I know Trump is a "classical conservative" by any stretch. But he is the face of the modern/current GOP.
I prposedly dropped conservative and right in the OP in an attempt to sorta broadly define my point. I get that there are nuances though.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:06 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Why is that?
The believe individualism is tied to property rights and land ownership, and their ideology has mostly failed to promote their supposed values in the modern age.

I also don't like the 'liberal' democracies that turn citizens into self interested voters and politicians into caterers for special interests.

And they fetishize these ideas rather than offer them some meek endorsement to the point of cult hood.

J. S. Mills was cool however.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The believe individualism is tied to property rights and land ownership, and their ideology has mostly failed to promote their supposed values in the modern age.

I also don't like the 'liberal' democracies that turn citizens into self interested voters and politicians into caterers for special interests.

And they fetishize these ideas rather than offer them some meek endorsement to the point of cult hood.

J. S. Mills was cool however.
Ok.

You're probably more of a collectivist in your thinking overall.

Thank you for answering me. I do appreciate it.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:13 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I don't like classical liberals.
Other than doctrinal Leftists .... you don't like much of anything.

"i disagree with almost everything you say, but i will defend, to my death, your right to say them.

(Voltaire, a "Founding Father" of what has come to be called the Enlightenment, on many occasions and paraphrased in many forms)

I try to maintain that lofty sentiment in every thing I post here, (and admittedly, don't always quite measure up to it). but I can see very little respect for it in too many of the posts here.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-25-2020 at 06:28 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Other than doctrinal Leftists .... you don't like much of anything.
Do you think Mill would like what society has become today?

Classical Liberals started off by claiming they wanted to promote individualism.

But I doubt many would appreciate where their policies have lead.

Property laws have made people more insulated yet more dependent on the consumer market.

Democracy has turned national citizens into self interest voters.

And their successors (you, et al) now just think consumption and financial speculation surpass community and national pride in terms of importance.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:30 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
I don't have a problem with either liberals or conservatives, if using the dictionary definition:

Liberal - open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values
Conservative - holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation

I consider myself more liberal, but I see the positive side of conservative also.

Donald Trump is no conservative. His anti-science, conspiracy theorist, xenophobic followers are also not representative of true conservatives.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I don't have a problem with either liberals or conservatives, if using the dictionary definition:

Liberal - open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values
Conservative - holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation

I consider myself more liberal, but I see the positive side of conservative also.

Donald Trump is no conservative. His anti-science, conspiracy theorist, xenophobic followers are also not representative of true conservatives.
There are no conservatives in America.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:49 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
I score center slight left on all of the political leaning quizzes I take.

I want to know why some people have such disdain for the right, the conservatives.

I consider myself an old school classic liberal in the vein of Carlin. I don't always agree with the right but it seems like I find myself siding with them more so than the far left. The far left is getting too authoritarian and too much for big government.

I want to know in polite terms why and what is wrong exactly with the conservative crowd and please try and keep it polite and as fact based as we can.
Politics is not linear.

There is no "left of center" or "right of center". People don't think like that.

Take a list of issues and put them in two columns, like A and B or 'liberal' and 'conservative'.

'For' and 'Against' or 'Approve' and 'Disapprove' any list of stuff ... these are the issues

Then have people fill it out.

One person happens to fill out A-B-A-B- etc all down the line, while another person answers it B-A-B-A- all down the line.

Gosh it looks like they are both moderates, some conservative viewpoints and some conservative viewpoints. They should get along famously, like "hey, we're reasonable, we can see both points of view" ...

Actually those two 'moderates' are polar opposites. They couldn't be more further apart if they tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies