Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 01:52 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,450,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
That's absolute nonsense then. When you keep your knee on someone's neck for more than 2 minutes after they go limp, you are intending on killing them and IMO that counts as premeditation as well. They need to up those charges immediately, keep the lesser charges on the books to fall back on, but the higher charges have to be there as well.
I think 3rd degree includes depraved indifference, but havent had time to look at MN law yet.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:52 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,355,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
If he gets off with only 3rd degree murder, the justice system failed.

When compared to a chance of walking totally due to trying to overcharge the officer?

If the autopsy came back completely clean he likely would have been charged with 2nd degree murder. He can't be charged with 1st degree murder because it is premeditated. 3rd degree is the safest way to try and get a conviction and a punishment. Full disclosure, I went to and graduated from law school but am not a practicing attorney nor have I ever been an attorney I use my law degree in the financial field so someone else might be able to argue this better than me as far as the charges go. Any conviction is better than no conviction.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:53 PM

28,685 posts, read 18,820,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Nobody can diminish what is on my tv right now and has been for days now. When a black person is killed by any white person be they citizen or police officer it gets constant coverage on the news and social media. When a white person is killed by a black person or police officer it is nothing but a footnote. Same for when a black person kills another black person. It's not treated as news. It's absurd and more and more people are realizing this. Posters on an internet site don't have the control nor does anything they post carry the weight that the national media and social media platforms. White people being killed by police or black people is suppressed and hidden from public view more often than not. The same can't be said about when a black person is killed by a white person or white police officer. This is systematic oppression by the media to fulfill a false and untrue narrative and it is destructive and dangerous. It must stop now. Because of recent incidents more and more people are waking up to what the true facts and statistics tell us and it isn't what CNN tells us or some SJW on twitter.

That's because the national media follows social media trends, and white people haven't gotten as adept at starting social media trends as black people. White people are photographing their cats.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:54 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,532,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
If the autopsy came back completely clean he likely would have been charged with 2nd degree murder.
The autopsy hasn't been completed, but the medical examiner has just released its initial findings:
https://twitter.com/kscullinfox9/sta...53234970918922

Old 05-29-2020, 01:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...olice-officer/

This is a pretty good explanation of events. Floyd began complaining about being unable to breathe before he was locked in place under Chauvin’s knee. Floyd was being apprehended because he had passed a counterfeit bill. He did resist arrest. Four officers could not get him into a squad car. But he was not fighting; he was falling down. Coroner’s ruling was that his coronary artery disease contributed to his demise.

Seems to me he could have been sat on the ground until other officers arrived to help get him into a police vehicle. Or an ambulance should have been called. But I don’t buy this stuff about the starting fresh in a new city. He passed a counterfeit bill. (Unless he did not know it was counterfeit. I have not seen that issue addressed.)

Old 05-29-2020, 01:56 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,563,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I think 3rd degree includes depraved indifference, but havent had time to look at MN law yet.
I'm not against including it in the charges against him, I'm just against not including at least a 2nd degree murder charge. A reasonable person would think that a person would die if you keep kneeling on their neck for over 2 minutes after they go limp so that's intent at the very least. Premeditation might be more difficult, but I'd argue that in the 8+ minutes he was killing the guy, there was ample time for him to make the decision to keep going till he was dead so if I was a juror, I'd be looking to find him guilty of first degree murder.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,588,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
The autopsy hasn't been completed, but the medical examiner has just released its initial findings:
https://twitter.com/kscullinfox9/sta...53234970918922
I call bull****. The ME did not release something so vague. 'Possible intoxicants'.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:01 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,125,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I call bull****. The ME did not release something so vague. 'Possible intoxicants'.
Of course it's BS. The man was murdered in plain sight. His airway was compromised, his heart could not get enough oxygen...and the ME slurs the victim. How do you know it's murder. He would not have died without the knee to the airway. It's impossible to state how angry this makes people.

Welcome to Minef'nsotta.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:01 PM

54 posts, read 46,339 times
When you look at the video, the police officer was avoiding the toes of both his boots to be scuffed and bearing his full weight. The officer committed murder.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:03 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
Minn. mayor gives masks to crowding rioters after warning in-person worship would be 'public health disaster'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies