Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2020, 02:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Small example....privilege -- there is footage of a white woman taking stuff from a store that was looted. As the woman is filling her bag with goodies the reporter comments she hopes that the woman is an employee just picking up stuff --- if it was a black woman doing that - you know nobody is going to wonder if she is an employee......small example.
Hypocritical. You want to talk about this kind of *privilege* but never talk about the *privilege* of black people on various networks bashing white people when a white person will get canned if they say anything that isn't sympathetic to black people.

You don't want to talk about the *privilege* of retail security being told to let groups of black shoplifters out of the store without stopping them so they don't get media backlash, though white shoplifters are treated like the criminals they are.

You don't address *privilege* when it comes to lower standards for jobs and university admissions for some groups. I'm all for putting jobs and seats aside to make sure urm's have access, but lowering standards is a privilege not granted to other groups - not even impoverished Asian or white kids.

Why do people want to call things a privilege when it comes to white people but never when it comes to other groups?

That's loony liberalism at its finest and it's racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 02:36 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

You don't address *privilege* when it comes to lower standards for jobs and university admissions for some groups. I'm all for putting jobs and seats aside to make sure urm's have access, but lowering standards is a privilege not granted to other groups - not even impoverished Asian or white kids.
This is my favorite example of privilege and how inconceivably blind people are to understanding it.

Like... Let's talk about how one group (Blacks) can get in, not entirely on merit, but ignore the overwhelming group of students (Whites) who get in, not entirely on merit, b/c they play lacrosse, wrestle, fence, row, etc...

Let's talk about how one group (Blacks) can get a job that they might not be the best candidate, but ignore that massive group (Whites) that get their jobs b/c their dad was in frat with the boss ?

No matter how you try to frame the leg up Black & Brown people get, it's a drop in the bucket to all the leg ups that White people have been benefitting from for much longer and in greater numbers.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:28 PM

628 posts, read 209,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What’s the skin color of the kids?
The fact that someone even asks this question

Old 06-01-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
This is my favorite example of privilege and how inconceivably blind people are to understanding it.

Like... Let's talk about how one group (Blacks) can get in, not entirely on merit, but ignore the overwhelming group of students (Whites) who get in, not entirely on merit, b/c they play lacrosse, wrestle, fence, row, etc...

Let's talk about how one group (Blacks) can get a job that they might not be the best candidate, but ignore that massive group (Whites) that get their jobs b/c their dad was in frat with the boss ?

No matter how you try to frame the leg up Black & Brown people get, it's a drop in the bucket to all the leg ups that White people have been benefitting from for much longer and in greater numbers.
My point is, if one is privileged, they both are. You cannot talk about privilege of one group without talking about privileges of both groups.

Look what you did. You mentioned fencing, wrestling, lacrosse and row for getting into college, and conveniently left out football and basketball. Wonder why......

As for jobs, I stated I have no problem with putting aside slots for jobs and college admissions for urm's. I'm not in favor of lowering the standards to let in anyone.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:34 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Being born in America is a privilege.
Maybe not this week ...

Old 06-01-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
My point is, if one is privileged, they both are. You cannot talk about privilege of one group without talking about privileges of both groups.

Look what you did. You mentioned fencing, wrestling, lacrosse and row for getting into college, and conveniently left out football and basketball. Wonder why......

As for jobs, I stated I have no problem with putting aside slots for jobs and college admissions for urm's. I'm not in favor of lowering the standards to let in anyone.
You're missing the point. "Privilege" also means not having your privilege checked or questioned. Whatever windfall you get, you deserve. That's privilege that's reserved for a slice of the population. Meanwhile, everyone else has to prove they earned their place. They have to defend against people challenging them... why did YOU get that privileged spot? No one has ever asked how the mouth-breather Donald Trump Jr got into Penn, but that's all you guys wanted to know about Obama.

I left out basketball and football b/c everyone already knows those spots are dominated by Black athletes who benefit from selective admission. Those spots also make up a fraction of the sports body for a school. White athletes make up 56% of the student athletes, yet you'll never hear someone talk about what standards were lowered to let a rower in, like you hear to let a linebacker in.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:33 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Lets say you have to kids. One makes bad grades, is always in trouble at school, and doesn't respect others and there is clear evidence of this. The other kid makes good grades, studies hard, and is respectful . Is it really a privilege is the good kid is treated better or was it something earned? I mean if it wasn't earned, then I would say its a privilege, but otherwise, it could not be considered a privilege.
Privilege is something the identity politics left made up. At a party when things get out of hand, which group are you going to be afraid of? Women or men? B-b-b-but that's sexist, right? Women have a privilege.

Always believe a woman!?

Old 06-01-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You're missing the point. "Privilege" also means not having your privilege checked or questioned. Whatever windfall you get, you deserve. That's privilege that's reserved for a slice of the population. Meanwhile, everyone else has to prove they earned their place. They have to defend against people challenging them... why did YOU get that privileged spot? No one has ever asked how the mouth-breather Donald Trump Jr got into Penn, but that's all you guys wanted to know about Obama.

I left out basketball and football b/c everyone already knows those spots are dominated by Black athletes who benefit from selective admission. Those spots also make up a fraction of the sports body for a school. White athletes make up 56% of the student athletes, yet you'll never hear someone talk about what standards were lowered to let a rower in, like you hear to let a linebacker in.
There's no such thing as privilege so there's noting to check or question. It's a fallacy some idiotic white SJWs came up with and you've fallen for it.

You never hear people talking about other athletes getting into a school strictly based on their ability to exceed in that sport and not because of academic achievement, other than linebackers? You need to get out more.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
There's no such thing as privilege so there's noting to check or question. It's a fallacy some idiotic white SJWs came up with and you've fallen for it.

You never hear people talking about other athletes getting into a school strictly based on their ability to exceed in that sport and not because of academic achievement, other than linebackers? You need to get out more.
Name the court case where some denied White or Asian student sued the school b/c the school lowered standards to let in a White person for their extracurriculars, or their sports, or their connections with the school.

B/c the only people I've ever seen attacked for that are Black and Brown people. But it's telling that you don't think it's a privilege to NOT have your accomplishments questioned or disparaged just b/c of who you are.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:13 AM

234 posts, read 90,158 times
Quote:
You are dead wrong. That’s not how the reality works.

In the real world:
1. If you are white, you are privileged regardless.
2. If you are Asian, you are over-privileged.
3. If you are black, you are under-privileged no matter what.

Skin color is everything.
This is a laughably simple way to look at a complex world and is completely wrong. A white or Asian person born with an extreme physical disability or whose parents abandoned him at birth an grew up an orphan is not privileged. Will Smith's children or Obama's children are not underprivileged.

I'm consistently blown away that adults, who are literate and educated can be simple enough to believe what you just said. It's so dishonest and not rooted in reality at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies