Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 09:27 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
In a word, yes. I feel privileged and I think I have been privileged to grow up in a healthy home, in a good neighborhood with good schools, good friends, where getting into any serious trouble was a very rare thing for pretty much me and all the other kids around me. Just for starters...

Didn't guarantee any success, necessarily, but sure did give me a big leg up over kids in disadvantaged areas that had to contend with all manner of challenges at too young an age and afterward too. Challenges I never even knew about when I was growing up!
So since you were so privileged, do you think you should have been treated like the kids in disadvantaged areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 09:28 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Treating someone with privilege is wrong. Everyone knows that.

If white people are treated with privilege because of their skin color, and black people are not because of their skin color, then you're saying white people should be treated the same way black people are.

It's a pretty simple concept.
I should leave this thread as quickly as I got in, and not look back, because I stopped doing these P&OC threads sometime ago. They always end up the same...

You get your right-winging conservatives almost seemingly ignorant about what racism is all about or that it even exists hurling insults at liberals like me who see things very differently, until ultimately we're all insulting one another and driving the conversation into the toilet bowl of bigotry.

Been there, done that and not really wanting to waste much more time doing more of it...

Old 06-01-2020, 09:28 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
So since you were so privileged, do you think you should have been treated like the kids in disadvantaged areas?
Well what was the behavior of the kids on average in the disadvantaged areas??

Old 06-01-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
This a trick question?

So if you are treated well and with respect, do you think you should be treated differently because others are treated poorly and disrespectfully?

Old 06-01-2020, 09:30 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Treating someone with privilege is wrong. Everyone knows that.

If white people are treated with privilege because of their skin color, and black people are not because of their skin color, then you're saying white people should be treated the same way black people are.

It's a pretty simple concept.
Thats deep, and makes so much sense.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:31 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I should leave this thread as quickly as I got in, and not look back, because I stopped doing these P&OC threads sometime ago. They always end up the same...

You get your right-winging conservatives almost seemingly ignorant about what racism is all about or that it even exists hurling insults at liberals like me who see things very differently, until ultimately we're all insulting one another and driving the conversation into the toilet bowl of bigotry.

Been there, done that and not really wanting to waste much more time doing more of it...
I'm a moderate Democrat.

Why can't you answer the question? If what you and I experience as white people is privilege, and privilege is wrong as we all know - aren't you saying our treatment should be closer to what black folks experience?

Or is this construct of privilege bull****, and the notion that black folks and poor white folks are underprivileged the real issue?

There's no such thing as privileged if you want the poor among us to have the same opportunities most of us have. That's not privilege - that's the gold standard for all.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Well what was the behavior of the kids on average in the disadvantaged areas??
The real question is why?

Old 06-01-2020, 09:32 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Apparently it dictates crime and murder rates.
Yes, absolutely! Bringing up murder rate and crime rate is racist, by the way.

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
MPowering, just the fact of noticing that someone has been born with an advantage over other people, just by an accident of birth, doesn't mean it needs to be acted on.

Sometimes, it's enough to notice and understand. I was born into privilege, that was completely unearned and not of my doing, and I had a distinct unearned advantage over some of my classmates.

I know that.

Quote:
I'm a moderate Democrat.

Why can't you answer the question? If what you and I experience as white people is privilege, and privilege is wrong as we all know - aren't you saying our treatment should be closer to what black folks experience?

Or is this construct of privilege bull****, and the notion that black folks and poor white folks are underprivileged the real issue?

There's no such thing as privileged if you want the poor among us to have the same opportunities most of us have. That's not privilege - that's the gold standard for all.
If I'm going to bother, you will need to be more careful (and a little more patient). Sheesh...

I didn't say privilege was bad. I didn't say it was wrong that I lived a good healthy childhood. Now did I?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies