Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 03:39 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,334,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
That is the issue I had with the I can't breathe thing. He did a lot of talking for having no air. Whenever I could not breathe, I could not talk. I need air to talk. Maybe he had super powers. He could talk without air. That said, the cop still did not handle the situation correctly and hopefully others learn from this.
I would agree with this; however, even if he did not die from asphyxiation, the length of time on the ground, under the knee, being jostled back-and-forth and etc. could certainly have increased the trauma. I don't know why they didn't put him in the cruiser straight away, rather than walk him across the street and down the block. The guy was drunk. Put him in the back seat and let him pass out.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:40 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
And the main culprit's wife has already filed for divorce since it is likely a civil case will win a LARGE judgement. Pass the OJ, please.
Nope, will never make it that far. The city will cough up however many tax payer dollars to show how sorry they are and that they care.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:41 PM

860 posts, read 322,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Actually, either autopsy is sufficient. Whether he had underlying conditions or not, the fact remains he would most likely still be alive had his neck not been under a cop's boot for 8-9 minutes or longer. The man was handcuffed. He couldn't breathe. The cop killed him, viciously and barbarically, in cold blood. No other way to spin it. It's like if I had cancer and was killed in a car wreck. What killed me, the cancer or car wreck?
I totally agree he would most likely would be alive if the cop did not do what he did and the cop should, is and will be held accountable. But, ALSO, he would most likely be alive if he did not break the law, had not been under the influence and had not gotten physical with the cops. Lots of could haves, would haves here. People make mistakes. Sometimes catastrophic mistakes and there are consequences. One man is now dead and another man will be in jail. Both families will never be the same.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:41 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,408,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
If he can't breath...his wind pipe is closed....if his wind pipe is closed....he can't say "I can't breathe"

...if he's having heart problems...that makes you feel like you can't breathe...but you can still talk
Wow. You really can’t think of a any other scenario? Let’s say his windpipe was almost closed. He squeezed out: “I can’t breathe!” Then his windpipe actually closed and he suffocated. Solved it for you!

Old 06-01-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Exactly, Chowhound. He was already handcuffed. Why the additional strong-arm tactics? The fact that it lasted almost ten minutes is unfathomable.
There is deleted video (media outlets deleted it - Inside Edition even said it is missing) of the incident, so we do not know what COULD have happened there. Just because someone is handcuffed does not mean they are easy to control or are willing to be controlled, especially when under the influence as he was. No doubt the cop went too far and will now have to answer for that and a man is now dead. BUT, there is always more to what happens than we INITIALLY assume and not having the FULL video is troublesome.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I would agree with this; however, even if he did not die from asphyxiation, the length of time on the ground, under the knee, being jostled back-and-forth and etc. could certainly have increased the trauma.
No doubt. I totally agree. However so many people want to end the discussion after they see what they want to see. There is so much more to situations than just what we want to see.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:54 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
How is the followup autopsy any more believable than the original?
Because it goes along with what they want to believe.

I would wonder about the need for a third autopsy, from another independent source not chosen by the family or their attorney.

Otherwise I wouldn't care to speculate, admitting ( unlike so many of the armchair "experts" here), I don't know enough about autopsy findings or the peripheral facts in this case.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:56 PM

190 posts, read 57,140 times
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that premeditation could be the difference between acting instinctively and the time it takes to load a gun. With the guy basically in a choke hold for 8 minutes while showing no resistance, with 3 of them while he was unresponsive, I can see where 1st degree might apply. He didn't get off until the paramedics had to ask him to move.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:59 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,990,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Do you believe any prosecutor would be able to prove that the cop woke up that morning with premeditated intent to go and find George Floyd and kill him? Because that is what you are asking him to do.
You don't have to wake up in the morning and decide to do something for it to be premeditated. You only have to decide before you do it, even if it's right before you do it.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:07 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
I totally agree he would most likely would be alive if the cop did not do what he did and the cop should, is and will be held accountable. But, ALSO, he would most likely be alive if he did not break the law, had not been under the influence and had not gotten physical with the cops. Lots of could haves, would haves here. People make mistakes. Sometimes catastrophic mistakes and there are consequences. One man is now dead and another man will be in jail. Both families will never be the same.
People do make mistakes. But kneeling on a man's neck while he cries that he can't breathe is more than a mistake. It was violent and barbaric. The man was handcuffed and down already. His forging checks doesn't excuse the brutal behavior of this cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies