Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 03:50 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times

Advertisements

Your inability or unwillingness to care is up to you, but it doesn't make other people's behavior pointless.

I find it incredibly sad that the people who moan on and on about morals think that caring about, listening to, and respecting people who you might not share experiences with is a BAD thing. Your whining about SJWs and virtue signaling and empty gestures just tells me that you don't care about things that don't directly affect you and you actually look down on people who DO care. That's sad. But it's certainly your right.

Caring and listening and respecting and empathy...it all does make a difference. I will continue to watch and listen and learn and try to make myself a better person because there is a lot of room for improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 03:51 PM

8,340 posts, read 2,966,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Don't like, don't participate. It may help some people cope, of course not you.

It must consume a lot of your energy hating on liberals all the time.
Liberals make it easy. :-)

Old 06-02-2020, 03:51 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Your inability or unwillingness to care is up to you, but it doesn't make other people's behavior pointless.

I find it incredibly sad that the people who moan on and on about morals think that caring about, listening to, and respecting people who you might not share experiences with is a BAD thing. Your whining about SJWs and virtue signaling and empty gestures just tells me that you don't care about things that don't directly affect you and you actually look down on people who DO care. That's sad. But it's certainly your right.
Way to miss the point.

Caring, listening, respecting...have absolutely nothing to do with putting a black box on social media for one day. We have seen this repeatedly every time something horrific happens, and a week later people are back to posting pictures of their dinner or their vacation or their latest pair of shoes.

Lasting and impactful change does not come from such a trivial gesture.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:54 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Way to miss the point.

Caring, listening, respecting...have absolutely nothing to do with putting a black box on social media for one day.

No, it seems quite obvious that YOU miss the point.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:57 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Way to miss the point.

Caring, listening, respecting...have absolutely nothing to do with putting a black box on social media for one day. We have seen this repeatedly every time something horrific happens, and a week later people are back to posting pictures of their dinner or their vacation or their latest pair of shoes.

As a black man, thank you for this comment. We want lasting and impactful change, not "oh boy look at me, I posted a black box because I care and I want a pat on the back".

Old 06-02-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
No, it seems quite obvious that YOU miss the point.
Fine. Please explain, demonstrate, and prove that I don't "care", and further explain, demonstrate and prove that "black out Tuesday" will do ANYTHING to help bring about fundamental change.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:02 PM

8,340 posts, read 2,966,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
As a black man, thank you for this comment. We want lasting and impactful change, not "oh boy look at me, I posted a black box because I care and I want a pat on the back".
Well white liberals think they should be able to tell black folks what to do. :-)

Old 06-02-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Repped you but couldn't leave a comment.

Thank you for understanding what I am trying to say.

When all this started some years ago, I thought that the police were not at fault. Things that have happened to our (white) family in recent years have made it clear how police over reach and are on a power trip. And if has affected us, I can't even imagine how it affects poor people or people of color.

It has been really emotional having discussions with my kids about race over the last few days...talking about how when I was in high school, my entire school was white, vs. my son now, where all of his best friends are non-white. I don't think current high school and college kids see race the same way their parents did, and that's a great thing. But I don't want them to trivialize the issue by relying on hash tags and black squares.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:09 PM

1,781 posts, read 956,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Its an empty gesture for young people to feel good about themselves.

As a black man who doesn’t complain every second about living in America, changing your profile picture does nothing for me. But thanks anyway for your liberal white guilt?
You nailed it. Liberal.white.guilt.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:11 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
But you don't bother to include any examples?

By the way, we all make demands of people we don't even know - asking strangers to stop smoking, for instance, or pestering people to buy Girl Scout cookies.
So you're comparing individuals to an entire race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies