Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 08:55 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Except in Paris when they riot they use fully automatic weapons and bombs. Last time 128 people were killed, but it is the U.S. that is unraveling.
You think those cities I listed have the same problems that US cities have? Vancouver has the same problems as San Francisco? Paris has the same problems as LA?

I've seen you say in a number of posts that you love Vancouver and you'd love to live there. Liberal city. Very liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 08:56 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
To give a hopefully less incendiary answer, the needs of people living in densely packed cities are different than the needs of people who live in more sparsely populated rural areas and the democrats policies are more geared towards the needs of people who live in the cities. The needs of the people who live in between the urban and rural areas have more varied needs and more diverse political affiliations.
Perfect answer, as someone said, cities demand a more collective approach to life, so the party that is more assertive in that direction often wins, of course in other scenarios religion and social policy might dominate the political sphere more, but generally, no one is going to hire a mayor for NYC that's anti-public transportation, hence why nearly all of the Republican mayors in NYC have focused on things like crime reduction and have done the reverse in increased spending on public infrastructure rather than the typical spiel of cutting public spending that you normally see among their fellow Republicans in other places. Non of that is good or bad it's just reality.

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
This is exactly why I can't take people who decry cities seriously. They can say and think whatever they want, but people who live in rural areas would be suffering without the assistance of blue cities and their metropolitan areas. I live in Philly, a city with a larger metropolitan economy than many STATES. These rural areas can't generate as much money as major cities do, which is why they are reliant upon our tax dollars for survival. Farmers can't even make money without farm subidies!

Also, 9 of the 10 poorest states and 93-97 of the 100 poorest counties are GOP-dominated.
The poor? California has 12% of the US population, but 34% of all those enrolled in public assistance. Why is there so much wage inequity in a blue state? Shouldn't the opposite be true in a blue state, what with the better policies Dems always claim to have?

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Quote:
Except in Paris when they riot they use fully automatic weapons and bombs. Last time 128 people were killed, but it is the U.S. that is unraveling.

Cities in Europe and to some extent Canada are differently planned than US cities. The city core in Europe tends to be rich and established while all the "un-wanteds", minority ethnic groups, newcomers, etc. are kept out in the suburbs. That and conservativism in Europe is akin to liberalism here in the US and vice versa. Apples to oranges in some regards.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:58 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Except the cities pay for the rurals. Whether it’s farm subsidies, tariff relief, public funding of private pensions to coal miners, Disability in the South, giveaways to Appalachia, etc. the cities are the economic engines of the country. In my state, Seattle gives $3 billion a year to 33 mostly rural counties.
That is an unpopular fact. And when the redhats out in the countryside need something that is attached to civilization - advanced medical care, for instance - they rush to those cities they spend the rest of their time looking down on.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:59 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
She sure did.
No, I didn't.

I'll ask you: do London, Paris, Berlin, Prague, Vancouver, Montréal, Toronto, Sydney, Melbourne -- ALL liberal -- have the same issues US cities do? You just said yourself in another post that you stay away from "liberal" US cities. Do you/would you stay away from the above cities, as well?

Old 06-03-2020, 09:02 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,473,493 times
What I do see a lot of in this thread is people on the left saying why people on the right in rural areas should be forced to adhere to the ideology and policies of the democrats. What I do not see is people on the right saying why leftist people in the cities should be forced to adhere to the ideology and policies of the right. This is a common theme with a lot of topics. The Christian right is an exception and only really has heavy influence in a few select areas, but for the most part and on most topics I see people on the right wanting freedom and people on the left wanting compliance.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:04 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
I think there is an element of surviving feudalism in those countries, were people tend to look to their government for things including their rights. I 'm not saying they are lazy, but just have a different mindset

No, I do not. I live NEAR a city.
Jokes on you, you live in a city. Your suburb unless you live in Boulder is filled with a large majority of adults commuting to Denver, and the suburb grew almost 100% as an extension of Denver and would be anywhere from an 1/8th to a 1/4th it's current size if Denver didn't exist, that is why both you and me subconsciously put Denver and Houston as are locations even though neither of us live in those places because we intrinsically know we live in those cities, just in a different political boundary.

edit: I changed mine year's ago because i'm a little proud of my suburban area. But my point still stands, I tell every non-Texan I meet I from Houston even though I've never lived in city limits, and have gone to sleep in city limits less than 10 times in my life.

Now, if these cities are so feudal can you explain to me why nearly every city on that list and nearly every city in the world with Berlin being the largest and most famous exception contributes more to the national economy than takes out of it. By that argument you would be indirectly arguing that Feudal societies are good for innovation, growth, and success of a society.

More than anything the success of society today can be directly plotted by the percent of people who lives in cities.

San Francisco the most liberal city of all, anchors the most liberal metropolitan area which is the most productive city not only in the country but the world. That's right no city in the World pushes out the same GDP per capita that San Francisco does, and the ones that do usually are small cities and don't have a real economy and are using some corporate trick to game the numbers i.e a Macau or Dublin (both still have smaller economies than SF in absolute and per capita terms I believe).

So how is SF not only the wealthiest metro, the most liberal metropolitan areas and one of the safest ( In the U.S it's top 5), while being one of the most diverse metropolitan areas in the World.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 06-03-2020 at 09:21 AM..

Old 06-03-2020, 09:09 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Why are most cities in this country that are medium sized or larger run by Democrats?
Most of the money is in the bigger cities. Educated people tend to migrate to big cities because there are more higher-paying jobs.

Also, cities are much more crowded than rural areas, so there tends to be a lot of different types of people on top of each other. Only more tolerant, open-minded people who are okay with being surrounded by other people of different colors, religions, and sexual preferences would want to live in the city. For the type of people who are close-minded and don't tolerate people who arent' like them wouldn't like living in big cities very much.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:22 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Because the Republicans screw up everything they get their fingers on. Just look at the current mess in the White House and Senate, both GOP controlled. When we had a Democrat in the WH, things were prosperous and peaceful, and then along came Trump !!!

The same could be said for the Clinton to Bush2 comparison.

I also can't get over the number of R media types who make all these same liberal, out of control, sheeple, crazed characterizations of major metros who chose to live in those very cities. Savage is in San Fran, Limbaugh in a solidly D county in Florida, Hannity and O'Brien in NYC. CNN, Pat Robertson, Oprah, and Dave Ramsey have all proven you can host successful national shows without having to be in the NYC to DC corridor or the major California cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies