Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 11:34 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
Ugh!
Truth!!

Latinos are a fake minority group.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:35 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I have to admit, Latina's are HOT!
Yesss... and very territorial!!!

Old 06-03-2020, 11:36 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Reading all the comments in the white privilege thread, particularly the ones saying whites have white privilege because they are the majority, has me questioning the future.
Latinos are the fastest growing segment of the American population. Not too far down the road, Latinos will become the majority and will most likely keep that status forever. Whites will join blacks as a minority group in America. Once that happens, will people start claiming Latino privilege exists and will white privilege no longer exist?

This is a serious question, because Latinos will be the majority and the common comment I find about white privilege is about that they are the majority and make the rules which hold down minorities on purpose. Once Latinos become the majority, they will have the biggest influence on policy making. How do you see this playing out over the years as the demographics change?

Will blacks claim they are being held down by Latinos instead of whites and will whites start claiming they are held down by Latinos?

I suspect it's not a case.
The "majority" doesn't explain the "privilege."
Not if you look at the examples of the past colonies, where the Whites were clearly a minority.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:37 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Setting aside that I am SHOCKED at some of what you wrote , let me ask you this in the context of THIS thread. When latinos become the majority, will you then claim Latino privilege exists? Will you claim you are being held down by Latinos?
What are you shocked about? As for being held down by Latino privilege the thing that bothers me is that they are influencing our elections now. The Democrats are pandering to them more than blacks now because they are the largest growing group in our country today and it's based on their demands of open borders and amnesty. I resent that because much of it is due to illegal immigration. I'm retired though so no so-called priviledged group is holding me down in any other way nor will they in the future.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I have to admit, Latina's are HOT!
And white, black or Asian women are not or are less desirable?

Old 06-03-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
and I’m sure Los Angeles is Mexico to you.
No - Los Angeles is an Elitist Liberal Cesspool to me...

At least Latinos (for the most part since the Cocaine Wars that BUILT Miami) are conservative, traditional, and law-abiding.

My main qualm with Latinos is that they have bulldozed everything out of Miami that is different from their own culture (all signs are in Spanish, residents feign ignorance of English, aggressive Machismo, etc), whereas my parents came from another country and ASSIMILATED, keeping their birth culture within the home.

To get to The Keys from Broward County it seems like you have to pass through a foreign country!

Old 06-03-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
No - Los Angeles is an Elitist Liberal Cesspool to me...

At least Latinos (for the most part since the Cocaine Wars that BUILT Miami) are conservative, traditional, and law-abiding.

My main qualm with Latinos is that they have bulldozed everything out of Miami that is different from their own culture (all signs are in Spanish, residents feign ignorance of English, aggressive Machismo, etc), whereas my parents came from another country and ASSIMILATED, keeping their birth culture within the home.

To get to The Keys from Broward County it seems like you have to pass through a foreign country!
From what I understand you can't even get a job in Miami unless your speak Spanish. So much for assimilation by Spanish speakers. The same thing is happening in the southwest.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:06 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Latino privilege would imply that they would control all the political, cultural and economic facets of our society.
The "White" power structure set up here will never allow that to happen.
Just because a group becomes the majority of the population that doesn't necessarily translate to power.
For example look at South Africa where 80% of the population is black but the Whites (9%) control almost everything.
America will always have "White" privilege.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Latino privilege would imply that they would control all the political, cultural and economic facets of our society.

The "White" power structure set up here will never allow that to happen. Just because a group becomes the majority of the population that doesn't necessarily translate to power.

America will always have "White" privilege.
What a crock... and you live in Florida!?

Apparently NOT South Florida!!!

Old 06-03-2020, 12:43 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
What a crock... and you live in Florida!?

Apparently NOT South Florida!!!
I am from Miami and of Cuban descent.
The reason the Cuban exile community dominates Miami is because they are the educated and entrepreneurial class that fled Cuba. As I said in my previous post when you dominate the political, cultural & economic facets of a society you have power.

What the Cubans have done in Miami has been to facilitate for other educated & wealthy South Americans to move there. Why should they have to learn English or assimilate to American culture when an entire sub-market has been set up for them?
These newer immigrants from South America are the ones who keep speaking Spanish because they can. The Cuban community is now into it's 4th. generation in America and almost all speak English.

In that regard Miami is an outlier since there is no other hispanic group that is in the same position to replicate the bubble that is Miami.
Bear in mind that the vast majority of Latinos in the US are of Mexican descent who have been in this countries for hundreds of years yet barely have any power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies