Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 12:17 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
BINGO! Sometimes I do thing the media that overplays the “color card” makes it harder for people like us though..
The media does not help matters at all. On the flip side, I think the divisions are already there. The racial and ethnic divides are already there and have been there for a long time. The one thing the media can do is confirm them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 12:24 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Most of the reactions were for finally seeing a Black man beat the system like white men have been doing all our lives. It wasn’t the actual man that people celebrated.
Right. Especially against racist LA cops. Not that I agree with it, but I can understand it. Black men used to be killed for the mere accusation of touching a white woman.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Right. Especially against racist LA cops. Not that I agree with it, but I can understand it. Black men used to be killed for the mere accusation of touching a white woman.
Nowadays, I look back and I see the OJ Simpson case from a "whatever" point of view.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:38 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
OJ was the first Black Person that used a defense usually only affordable to rich White Folk. Two lessons were learned which is why black folk reacted the way they did.

1) Expensive lawyers > Truth. Criminal Justice only works for the wealthy

2) White folk Did not like the fact that a Black man used the system they way they designed it for themselves (wealthy white folk, poor whites do not have access either). Finally a Black man exposed the system.

Most Black folk did not care about OJ directly, still don’t.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
OJ was the first Black Person that used a defense usually only affordable by White Folk. Two lessons were learned which is why black folk reacted the way they did.

1) Expensive lawyers > Truth. Criminal Justice only works for the wealthy

2) The criminal justice system was exposed for what it was and Black Folk can also exploit it through WEALTH.
This is true. At the time, I thought nothing of it. I was a kid. As I got older, I started to understand it differently. In the case of Derek Chauvin, we see the camera, we see that it's murder. It's clear and cut.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:43 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
I work with a good many black folks and from time to time, the subject of OJ comes up. It is probably the one subject where they as a group take leave of their senses and throw out any notion of objectivity.

It is clear they know full well that he was guilty. However, their admissions of that are inevitably followed by raised eyebrows and often smirks.

My conclusion is that OJ murdering two people, particularly two white people, satisfies some kind of group vendetta. OJ offing his ex and her boyfriend somehow helps them get even for the slave ships, Jim Crow, and all the other horrid transgressions that fellas like Indentured Servant are still consumed with even decades or centuries later.

Tis rather sad, if not pathetic. But emotions wreak havoc on the human spirit.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:45 PM

6,828 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Nothing is clear cut. We saw a black man shot in the back by a cop on video who claimed he shot in self defense. The locals would not convict him. He is only in prison because the feds got involved.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:01 PM

78,428 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
True, but now at least a dozen people have been killed since the riots began, mostly innocent people. In fact, there have been nearly as many minorities killed by the fraction of bad actors claiming to be outraged by the homicide of George Floyd than all unarmed minorities killed by police in 2019.

I am not seeing social progress here.
Take away all the riots, just make it a normal week in the summer of 2018 and you'll have bad actors shooting security guards at CVS in bad neighborhoods, guys shooting up the McDonalds etc., people shooting cops and so forth.

Again, there will always be a handful of bad people it's disingenuous to use that to label all protesters.

Same advice to those that are quick to label everyone racist or cannot see anyones positions or various topics outside of that simpleton narrative.

The media and divisive political forces on both sides try to portray tens of millions of our fellow americans as being horrible rotten evil people and I'm not putting up with that BS.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:14 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Nowadays, I look back and I see the OJ Simpson case from a "whatever" point of view.
If you were young then I am getting the impression that maybe you don't realize what an iconic figure OJ was and had been for over 25 years. And it was all good. As big a superstar as a football player as just about anybody has ever been. A movie and TV actor, and then probably the first African American to become a superstar as a pitch man for commercials.

And the guy had a pristine image. All American all the way. Everybody liked him. White, black, green. Everybody liked OJ.

There have been some insightful comments about the black community and it's response to the verdict on the thread but I think to some degree there were just a lot of people that refused to accept that OJ could do anything like that. And to have one of the greatest ambassadors of the black community become the biggest pariah in the country was just hard to swallow.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:17 PM

78,428 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In my case, I was in elementary school during the whole OJ case. I was too busy being a kid to care. I didn't know Los Angeles had riots in 1992. I found that out in high school. The only reason I felt any need to take a side is because of the environment I was around.

I went to a high school that was about 85-90% White and 7-10% Black. I was also dealing with some racial tension in my school. The state of Georgia had just changed its state flag and removed the large Confederate flag from it. And I went to school with several kids who wore Confederate flag t-shirts. Let's just say racial tensions went up. And then I started finding out other stuff. A few kids started talking about OJ Simpson. Alot of Black kids thought OJ wasn't guilty. Many White kids thought he was guilty. I didn't know why this was.

Now, there are some things I am ardently against. I hate the Confederate flag. I have every reason to. But with OJ, the waters were more muddy. I felt like I had to take OJ Simpson's side because I felt like I was in a fight. Now that I'm 16 years removed from high school, I just don't care anymore. In fact, I hardly cared in high school until I was made to care. I figured "if he wasn't guilty he wasn't guilty". I didn't know how polarized kids were.

Looking back, I don't have any respect for OJ Simpson. I know the man is a criminal. However, one of the reasons I don't want to discuss Simpson is because of the kind of mentality that could come with it. Some people will use OJ Simpson as an example of "this is why White women should never date Black men". I know some people might use it as an opportunity to vent any kind of racial resentment they have, even in a covert way.
I remember the white bronco chase because I was a Bulls fan and they were showing it split screen with the bronco chase which I didn't give a crap about lol.

Probably the only thing noteworthy about the case now is that people used to care about white women with black men. These days that's mostly a thing of the past for most demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies