Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 05:44 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Why does the right concentrate only on stats in regards to black deaths at the hands of police? Have they not gotten the issue of daily racisms blacks endure?
I'm trying to understand what systemic racism is...

Could the stats the OP revealed be the reason that Blacks are treated differently? Is systemic racism society's natural way of rejecting disproportionate criminal behavior?

If the Black crime rate was the same as White crime rates, would systemic racism exist?

I know what the crime statistics are, so in the past 20 years, I never go near high crime areas. I sedom go to shopping malls, due to the crime risk. I don't go to large venues for sports, or entertainment, because of the areas they are in. I avoid cities too, and never even stop for gas, if I'm out after dark (which isn't often). I drive through a city only when there is no alternative (almost always on an Interstate highway). I take no public transportation. I have not been inside an airport in years. I never go near any road called ML King.

Is my complete avoidance of high crime areas, systemic racism? Is it acceptable for me to exercise a strong sense of self-preservation?

Most of my affluent friends go through their lives in similar fashion, except they fly, & go to sports, & concert venues. They take private cars to/from the airport, fly 1st class, & sit in private boxes, so they are insulated from the general population most of the time.

Affluent people have a high degree of environmental control. We are not avoiding Black people, we are avoiding crime, but there's a strong correlation, so are we practicing systemic racism?

Police have little ability to control their work environments, so how can they practice systemic racism? Plz cite an example.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 06-07-2020 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 06:30 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
In case your thinking was deflected away from the narrative by that WSJ article, USA Today wants you to know that there's lots of historical racism by police for you to be angry about...

Not just George Floyd: Police departments have 400-year history of anti-black racism

Quote:
There was no place to hide, no place to truly be safe. Across the U.S., black Americans lived in fear of law enforcement officials armed with weapons who monitored their every behavior, attacked them on the street and in their homes, and killed them for the slightest alleged provocation.

These organized groups of white men known as slave patrols lay at the roots of the nation's law enforcement excesses, historians say, helping to launch centuries of violent and racist behavior toward black Americans, as well as a tradition of protests and uprisings against police brutality.

That history has once again become the subject of national debate as millions of Americans in recent days gathered in cities large and small to denounce police brutality and racial bias after the death of George Floyd,...

Old 06-07-2020, 06:31 AM

477 posts, read 336,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Sorry it's WSJ. I know everyone can't read it.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the...x-md6J1hFUR7mQ

The Myth of Systemic Police Racism

...In 2019 police officers fatally shot 1,004 people, most of whom were armed or otherwise dangerous. African-Americans were about a quarter of those killed by cops last year (235), a ratio that has remained stable since 2015. That share of black victims is less than what the black crime rate would predict, since police shootings are a function of how often officers encounter armed and violent suspects. In 2018, the latest year for which such data have been published, African-Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders in the U.S. and commit about 60% of robberies, though they are 13% of the population.

The police fatally shot nine unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database, down from 38 and 32, respectively, in 2015. The Post defines “unarmed” broadly to include such cases as a suspect in Newark, N.J., who had a loaded handgun in his car during a police chase. In 2018 there were 7,407 black homicide victims. Assuming a comparable number of victims last year, those nine unarmed black victims of police shootings represent 0.1% of all African-Americans killed in 2019. By contrast, a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer....
I'm just wondering why the media is not disseminating this information daily?
It seems to me that mass media, on the contrary, is adding fuel to the fire.
Maybe this is done on purpose?

Old 06-07-2020, 07:03 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
This is one of the better threads I’ve read here at C-D in some time. It’s full of facts and figures and people speaking respectfully to one another. Wish more were like this one.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:41 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Why does the right concentrate only on stats in regards to black deaths at the hands of police? Have they not gotten the issue of daily racisms blacks endure?
You didn't read the article, did you?

Old 06-07-2020, 08:52 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAman View Post
I'm just wondering why the media is not disseminating this information daily?
It seems to me that mass media, on the contrary, is adding fuel to the fire.
Maybe this is done on purpose?
Of course it's done on purpose. They see this as another get rid of Trump opportunity.

Back to the discussion about systemic racism.

Greg Gutfeld did an excellent op ed about it last night.

The gist was Is there racism in this country? Of course there are racists in this country.....But is there SYSTEMIC racism? No. We have laws that outlaw racism in hiring. We have affirmative action. We have hate laws. Schools take much lower performing blacks over higher performing whites. Businesses have requirements for diversity. If you are a white man, you are almost always going to get passed over now for a black hire. So no, there is not SYSTEMIC racism.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:53 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I wonder what percentage of the protestors already know this.
Most, nearly all. It's an excuse, not a reason.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:08 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:

...In 2019 police officers fatally shot 1,004 people, most of whom were armed or otherwise dangerous. African-Americans were about a quarter of those killed by cops last year (235), a ratio that has remained stable since 2015. That share of black victims is less than what the black crime rate would predict, since police shootings are a function of how often officers encounter armed and violent suspects. In 2018, the latest year for which such data have been published, African-Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders in the U.S. and commit about 60% of robberies, though they are 13% of the population.

The police fatally shot nine unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database, down from 38 and 32, respectively, in 2015. The Post defines “unarmed” broadly to include such cases as a suspect in Newark, N.J., who had a loaded handgun in his car during a police chase. In 2018 there were 7,407 black homicide victims. Assuming a comparable number of victims last year, those nine unarmed black victims of police shootings represent 0.1% of all African-Americans killed in 2019. By contrast, a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer....
The cancer of liberalism has laid down the template of white cops vs blacks. They have taken the few incidents and amplified them. In almost every case we see out there blacks were doing something illegal or resisting arrest. Had blacks followed the same simple orders everybody else follows they would still be here today. Even the black comedians know this is the case, watch Chris Rocks "how to not get your a$$ kicked by the police" on U tube. Crude but funny and more than a little truth in it.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:11 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:

Where does this mental health worker who was shot attending to his charge show up in the stats?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoo...Charles_Kinsey

Or this guy who was shot for following police instructions?

https://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/justi...ing/index.html

Old 06-07-2020, 02:14 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
In case your thinking was deflected away from the narrative by that WSJ article, USA Today wants you to know that there's lots of historical racism by police for you to be angry about...

Not just George Floyd: Police departments have 400-year history of anti-black racism
lol As if it's still the 1960s. No proof of law enforcement being racist.

Two recent studies found cops more reluctant to use deadly force against blacks, including one by a black Harvard economist. Professor Roland G. Fryer Jr. concluded: “On the most extreme use of force -- officer-involved shootings -- we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account.”

"the survey asks more than 60,000 people about their interactions with the police. It asks respondents’ to provide age, race and gender. It asks them whether they had any contact with the police in the last year; what was the experience like; how were your treated; was there a use of force and so on. Turns out, according to a September 2017 National Review article, black men and white men are about equally likely to have a contact with a cop in a given year. As to multiple contacts, defined as three or more with the police in a given year, 1.5 percent of blacks vs. 1.2 percent of whites fall in that category. Not much difference."

Contrary to the Black Lives Matter narrative, the police have much more to fear from black males than black males have to fear from the police. In 2015, a police officer was 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male was to be killed by a police officer.”

As far as peoples perceptions -

"In 2012 in the city of Rialto, California, population approximately 100,000, cops were randomly assigned body cameras based on their shifts. Over the next year, use-of-force incidents on the shifts that had cameras were half the rate of those without cameras. But something rather extraordinary also happened. Complaints against all Rialto police officers with or without body cams were down almost 90 percent from the prior year."

Cant falsely claim police misconduct when it's recorded.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 06-07-2020 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies