Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 09:28 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,524 times

Advertisements

It could be worse. This is where African-Americans would be living today if their ancestors hadn't been brought to America as slaves:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 09:37 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
If you are smart and work hard you can be successful or at least live respectably even if you don't have all the advantages. Conversely you can have all of them and still be a screw up. No need to infantilize Blacks by saying it doesn't apply to them as well. That is counterproductive.

Again - some generic phrases, when I give very specific explanations how and where the cards are stacked against AAs as A GROUP.

Has got nothing to do with "infantalizing" anyone, whatever that means.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
‘If you deny this’ you’re denying reality.’

lots of that going around lately.
So in your town can a black carry a rifle go for a walk downtown without getting rushed by the police? No? But if he was white, the police would leave him alone? If so, that is an example of white privilege.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:58 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
How To End White Privilege

Simple-get a ****ing job! Stop committing crime. Don't get knocked up (or knock someone up) before you get out of high school.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:00 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So in your town can a black carry a rifle go for a walk downtown without getting rushed by the police? No? But if he was white, the police would leave him alone? If so, that is an example of white privilege.
They can't in your town? They can in mine. Black men were among those out defending our city from Pantifa violence and looting last week. The ones I saw were armed with the same ARs as the white guys-and all were left alone by police that just smiled waved as they drove past. Sorry that it sounds like you live in a racist craphole.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:14 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
They can't in your town? They can in mine. Black men were among those out defending our city from Pantifa violence and looting last week. The ones I saw were armed with the same ARs as the white guys-and all were left alone by police that just smiled waved as they drove past. Sorry that it sounds like you live in a racist craphole.
Yes, I saw a video where at least one black had a gun in CAD, even though CAD is more white than my town. In my town, at least one black observed a white man carrying a rifle around a protest in front of the police station and thought if he did the same he'd be rushed by the police as brought up in this local commentary excerpted below:

https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/co...b12d59452.html

"Unlike that man with a rifle stalking behind the protesters for three hours, even though he was living in a state that has an open carry law that permits most of its citizens to carry a gun without a license, the man atop the parking garage was unwilling to carry a gun near the protest. All because of the color of his skin.

He is an Oklahoman, living across the state his entire life as his parents were teachers. But because of his race, he admitted that he believed if he walked near the protest with a pair of Colts attached to his hip, the police force that was mingling with the peaceful protest would have rushed him."

Old 06-10-2020, 10:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Blondes also have the edge also jewish boys also tall people also women with larger breast but not fat
No doubt the list will grow as people look for income inequality answers in all the wrong places

Old 06-10-2020, 10:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
The best privilege really isn't the black or white variety, it's "green privilege" that affords you whatever you want. He who has the money gets the honey!

Old 06-10-2020, 10:42 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not talking about banks. I'm talking about homeowners who are allowed to choose who they want to sell their home to, even when they've had higher offers by other bidders.

And yes, black homeowners can choose to sell to to black buyers. And vice versa. This idea that's promoted in this OP video is that if you're the person who arrives with the highest offer you won't be refused, is wrong. People who want to sell to who they want to sell to, continues legally.

https://www.redfin.com/blog/how-to-w...-sellers-over/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
First, you wanted documentation.

NOW, you want to try to say it's not used to exclude demographics of people. No one is going to admit that was the reason. That's the game. No one is going to show their hand.

And when I saw it, the demographic that was being denied the house wasn't Black.
Just FYI, we wrote one of those letters when we moved to the DC area, and received three when selling our home there - as did numerous neighbors because of housing shortages. We were specifically told by our real estate agent that if there was anything in the letter that alluded to race, religion, or ethnicity they were not allowed by Fair Housing laws to forward the letter or they could lose their license.

The people who sold to us went with the best offer, ours. We went with a slightly lower offer because it was a military family. My neighbors chose a family with young children who were permanently settling in the area because they were the original homeowners, raised their own children in the home, and genuinely liked the idea of another family being raised there.

Quit trying to find nefarious intent where none exists.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:33 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm still waiting for my white guy special privilege as well. It's a joke of course, because most white working class males know damn well that they are among the least privileged members of society as far as being coddled or offered hand outs. No, you get to play life on hard mode if you're a working class white guy who doesn't comes from money. You're expected to fend for yourself and make your own luck. It's everybody else that needs the help you see...women, minorities, gays, jews, whatever, but I don't want anybody's charity anyway as a matter of pride I suppose.
I went through a nasty divorce bout 8 years ago now. Lost my job and my ability to work due to a severe illness just after my vindictive ex took me for everything.

I had nothing. Had my truck and thankfully a good friend who took me in so I wasnt sleeping in that truck. Had not a pot to pee in and was getting more sick by the day.

Lacking any other option I went to the state welfare office. Figured maybe a lifetime of paying taxes before this mess might have bought me something. I desperately needed medical care which I was told I was not eligible for. Monetary assistance? Thought maybe I could at least give my buddy something for putt me up till I could figure things out. Ummm...yes, right. Not hardly. I did qualify for food assistance. But NOTHING else. Sheesh, I thought I might at least be able to get some medical help since I was in really bad shape.

They tells me nope. No joy. The reason for my plight despite my entire life working and paying out the nose in taxes? Quote..Theres no sort of assistance of that kind available to single, childless WHITE males..unquote.

White privilege? Whatever. I damn near died. I wound up collapsing at my buddy's house, he called my sister and she came out and took me to the trauma ward in Reno.

At the hospital they informed me I was actually eligible for medical assistance. The state welfare office...misinformed..me. Thanks to the doctors who saved my life I got my SSDI in the end run and I got my life back. Somewhat. The ex got everything from the marriage. But she got the debt to. Screw her.

But to get my "White privilege" I had to almost die and lose everything I worked my whole life for. Hell, ain't that White privilege just dandy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies