Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 02:06 PM

2,400 posts, read 755,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If they aren’t willing to give up all their income they can’t show any level of support? Even if someone making $250k just donates $50 and wants to boast about it...the cause still got $50 it didn’t have. At a certain point trying to make someone look bad with a virtue signaling sneer is just suppressing charity for our fellow man.
I’ve actually had a lot of exposure to African Americans in my work and I can say in 35 years I never had one problem. Just like anyone else you get what you give. Show respect and get it back. Look them in the eye and thank them and just like any human they appreciate that.

One thing I’ve learned is they have a better BS detector than most people. I can’t imagine how offended I would be as a black man driving through these neighborhoods and seeing these patronizing, cardboard signs (all brand new of course)

Whatever, maybe I’m out of line.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:09 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Wow! Good point! They're quivering in fear! But isn't that what all virtue signaling is, under the surface? Feeding the crocodile, hoping he'll eat you last.
Well, it is my understanding that "virtue signaling" only applies to those who are insincere in their support for black lives. How do you suggest that the rest of us show support for our black friends, neighbors and family members? OK if we put up a sign? Or should we be silenced too?

Old 06-13-2020, 02:24 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Yes, what harm did the sign do to you? Why do you feel the need to shame it? Why suppress expressions of empathy unless they are perfect and total.

Is that such a horrible trait you want to eliminate it?

Old 06-13-2020, 02:25 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,356,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I'm pretty sure the neighborhood (as well as America) is getting sick and tired of having the BLM shoved down their throats.

Give it a rest!
+1

It's already gotten old and is annoying. Those who are protesting should go find something that's actually useful and productive to do with their lives.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:28 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Quote:
I’ve actually had a lot of exposure to African Americans in my work and I can say in 35 years I never had one problem. Just like anyone else you get what you give. Show respect and get it back. Look them in the eye and thank them and just like any human they appreciate that.

One thing I’ve learned is they have a better BS detector than most people. I can’t imagine how offended I would be as a black man driving through these neighborhoods and seeing these patronizing, cardboard signs (all brand new of course)

Well, work is a very different sort of environment isn't it. People don't exactly get on their soap box. I am more curious about the honest conversations you've been having with your African American friends and family members?

Old 06-13-2020, 02:31 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times
Quote:
I was on my walk today and I’m up to about 4 miles now (yay me). I noticed as I walked through a very wealthy neighborhood several of these BLM signs and it occurred to me that these people don’t care about the cause at all, they think it will save their house from the torch. There were rumors that an organized protest/riot was going to merge into wealthy neighborhoods.

I thought it’s like German citizens hanging white flags out their windows to prevent the allies from destroying or looting their homes.

Pretty interesting times we are living in.
I could see one, but it got promptly removed overnight. This is a majority Ted Cruz voting, half a million dollar median price neighborhood , so no surprise. In fact some kids were waving Trump- Pence and Confederate flags during their graduation parade.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:32 PM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
I was on my walk today and I’m up to about 4 miles now (yay me). I noticed as I walked through a very wealthy neighborhood several of these BLM signs and it occurred to me that these people don’t care about the cause at all, they think it will save their house from the torch. There were rumors that an organized protest/riot was going to merge into wealthy neighborhoods.

I thought it’s like German citizens hanging white flags out their windows to prevent the allies from destroying or looting their homes.

Pretty interesting times we are living in.
I saw 2 in my neighborhood….both houses likely valued over $1M and both have white people living there....at least I now know where the racists of my neighborhood reside.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:32 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
+1

It's already gotten old and is annoying. Those who are protesting should go find something that's actually useful and productive to do with their lives.
And this sort of shaming:
Ugh, it’s so boring that people care about the state murdering people without so much as a trial. Won’t they just shut up about it already?

Why do that?

Old 06-13-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You mean their fellow man that is violent, riots, loots, burns, destroys property, hurts people and breaks the law? That fellow man?
Rep.

That you even have to point out the absurdity of the other poster's statement is illustrative that:

1) it's a liberal and

2) all of the actual innocent people who the "protesters" (read: anarchists, thugs, savages and criminals) injured and killed and whose property and businesses the anarchists burn, destroyed and looted are utterly discounted by lefties. Sick!

Liberals destroy everything they touch.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
LOL!

Pretty sure that's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Ya'll are simply TERRIBLE at reading the moment.
Said a liberal and a Newsome suck-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies