Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 11:51 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
Procedure or law was violated?
Thats an interesting question.

Apparently some of the charges are related to failure to adhere to the oath of office because he violated APD policy/procedure.

I dont recall those kind of charges in other officer related shootings.

Does anyone know if that is a normal thing, something unique to GA or simply overkill on the part of this DA.

I mean typically what we hear of is officers acquitted of crimes, but fired due to failure to follow their Dept policy, not the other way around.

Last edited by Blondy; 06-18-2020 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A true criminal with ill intentions isn't compliant for as long as Brooks was.
LOL, sure they are.

He was on probation. He was never going to let himself be arrested.

He thought he could talk his way out of the DUI and the longer he talked the better as far as he knew.

Unfortunately, that is what gave him an edge on the officers. He knew he was always going to resist arrest. They didnt and let themselves be conned/lulled by his BS/average joe act.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Even if your racist assumption were true, that all black people are pro-violent criminal, the trial may very well not be in that county by the time it happens.
Exactly.

The defense will likely request a change of venue, especially after the grandstanding by the DA today.

And, further he may forego a jury and request a judge decide which imo might be the best option.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Is it a matter of blame or question that what they did was justified and the only options? If the officer had missed, which absolutely happens a lot, where would those bullets have gone?

What many, myself included wants to know is why do we hold the police to a lower standard than we do civilians? We should be holding them to a high standard.

Questioning why a cop responded the way he did is not being anti-cop, it is being pro-society.

Brooks wasn't a good man, that goes without saying. He was wrong in every single thing he did from the moment he started to resist arrest. That also is not in question.

The cops were outstanding with him. Even during the brawl. I don't believe that they are bad cops. I simply question whether or not that shooting Brooks in the back 3 times was justified and I question the argument that the Taser made them afraid for their lives. Do they know the weapon that they carry or not? If not they should be fired.

Why is it that the Police in the USA are so quick to resort to lethal force? Would it surprise you to learn that no other first world country even approaches our numbers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers_by_country

That is what I question. Why are we as likely or more to be killed by our own police as say Mexico? Take note of the killings by per million. We are 46.3 people killed by police per million. Germany is 1.3, Japan is .2, United Kingdom is .5.

This should make everyone ask what makes us so different and do we have to be so different??
Seriously? LOL

We are armed to the teeth.

And, we are many of us the descendants of revolutionaries who dont take well to being policed.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:07 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Seriously? LOL

We are armed to the teeth.

And, we are many of us the descendants of revolutionaries who dont take well to being policed.
Based on statistics and being one and knowing many of them I don't think they are the problem group that violently resist arrests though .

Old 06-18-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
And this explains choking people to death or kn feeling on their necks until dead, how?

Listen I love to shoot. I grew up in a home where we started shooting at 5 years old.

We have a problem where for years, before the cell camera and body cams, where the cop basically could just say self defense. We need to understand why so many unarmed people are shot by the police, choked by the police, beaten by the police or mistreated in general.

One way to make headway is to have an outside agency investigate any cop related deaths. It takes away that perception of inequity. What doesn't work and it should be common sense is that allowing the police to police themselves doesn't work. Not because they are always covering crimes up for each other, but due to the very obvious conflict of interests.
Well, in this case the GBI was investigating, but the DA apparently didnt feel the need to let them finish their investigation before he filed charges. Or, maybe the DA knew the GBI wasnt going to agree with him. Something very fishy there.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Based on statistics and being one and knowing many of them I don't think they are the problem group that violently resist arrests though .
Meh.........all family trees have their black sheep.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:17 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Well, in this case the GBI was investigating, but the DA apparently didnt feel the need to let them finish their investigation before he filed charges. Or, maybe the DA knew the GBI wasnt going to agree with him. Something very fishy there.
I get that. Thats why I said the DA should have waited.

That said, do the police always finish their investigations before making an arrest or do they arrest based upon suspicion then do an investigation? A lot of people have made the paper only to have the charges dropped after the investigation.

Is that the cops don't like a taste of their own medicine? LOL. You tell me. I know this it's a very different playing field when the police investigate their own v.s a civilian.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:22 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Meh.........all family trees have their black sheep.
Yeah and some have it at about 4x rate . But I do agree Americans trend slightly more violent than their European cousins and definitely are more armed and independent minded.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I get that. Thats why I said the DA should have waited.

That said, do the police always finish their investigations before making an arrest or do they arrest based upon suspicion then do an investigation? A lot of people have made the paper only to have the charges dropped after the investigation.

Is that the cops don't like a taste of their own medicine? LOL. You tell me. I know this it's a very different playing field when the police investigate their own v.s a civilian.
I dont know, but I would expect the Fulton Co. DA and the GBI to be on the same page or at least be communicating with each other with regard to when charges are filed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies