Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 06:25 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
The virus has now been in the US for at least six months. Florida and much of the south had low numbers early on and were in a rush to reopen. Some of the governors and state legislators were openly arrogant or dismissive. Thankfully the medical professionals have the benefit of the experience other states went through and are developing best practices so hopefully outcomes will e better.

Meanwhile Desantis is still refusing help from NY that his health advisors wanted.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...ew-york-before
New York had a real problem and most people (not always myself) supported the lockdowns. Florida and Texas locked down despite not having much of a problem in March and April. Now the problem is here, and "the boy who cried wolf" is not getting the help he wants.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:31 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Where is the evidence that any damage is permanent and caused by the virus?
More hysteria. Same shoot different day. I'm sure lots of diseases can create permanent damage.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:34 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
and yet the lights are still on, nukes haven't melted down, air traffic is still being managed, military still operates, the water is still running, garage gets picked up, mail gets delivered, grocery stores still open, etc. etc. etc

How is this possible in the midst of a pandemic? Are we using robots? or AI?
I would not dismiss this as mild at this point, it is a very bad situation if you read through the local reports in these hot states. ICU’s are at capacity but yes grocery stores are still open, so?

Old 07-13-2020, 06:36 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
More hysteria. Same shoot different day. I'm sure lots of diseases can create permanent damage.
Are those diseases as contagious? And no vaccine.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:37 PM

407 posts, read 123,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What did I say in conflict with the experts? My point was you can't straddle both sides of the fence and say no one will go to bars and restaurants out of fear of catching the virus at the same time as demanding mandates closing bars and restaurants because too many people keep going to them.
Sorry if I didn't understand correctly. I've reread this a few times and I'm not following.

Quote:
And for the record, I was arguing vigorously for the public to wear masks to prevent the spread back in early February when Dr. Fauci, CDC, and WHO were saying masks were ineffective and should NOT be worn by the public. Who turned out to be right?
Obviously, you did if that was the case! And good for you.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:39 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Quote:
New York had a real problem and most people (not always myself) supported the lockdowns. Florida and Texas locked down despite not having much of a problem in March and April. Now the problem is here, and "the boy who cried wolf" is not getting the help he wants.
Lockdown was much less strict in Florida than NY, or I imagine it that way. Here in Miami Beach, yes businesses were closed except for grocery stores and pharmacies (and restaurants for take out or delivery) but there were crowds out every day, having picnics, parties etc. As a result, the levels of virus in the community never got as low as they did in NY when we reopened. Couple with that Miami was inundated with tourists throughout June because our beaches and restaurants were open, and there was nowhere else they could go - then you see the situation.

But the situation here is not bad. During NYs peak, it was 10,000 new cases a day with median age 50. Ours is 10,000 new cases with median age 35. In reality NY had more cases per day than we do now, the testing just wasn't there to catch all the cases.

But it's also true there is more virus here than there was in March when we locked down.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:43 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
If you were right there would be no need for an order closing restaurants then. The answer is because even 60,000, of which 50,000 of them is mild, is a tiny amount compared to 350 million.
60,000 new cases everyday.

Almost 1.8 mil cases active.

1.5 mil cases recovered in last six months... 1.8 mil active today.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
60,000 new cases everyday.

Almost 1.8 mil cases active.

1.5 mil cases recovered in last six months... 1.8 mil active today.

The official number of recovered is vastly undercounted. It's only a recovery if several subsequent tests shows negative. Most that recover at home, especially asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, likely don't bother to return for more testing. Think about all the times you or a family member had the flu. Maybe you went to the doc for a diagnosis when you got sick but did you ever go back to the doc for a followup once you felt all better?

Old 07-13-2020, 07:15 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Unless there is some test results from the affected area from before the person had the virus then the person could have had damage for years. They cannot say for certain that the virus caused it.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:18 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
The official number of recovered is vastly undercounted. It's only a recovery if several subsequent tests shows negative. Most that recover at home, especially asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, likely don't bother to return for more testing. Think about all the times you or a family member had the flu. Maybe you went to the doc for a diagnosis when you got sick but did you ever go back to the doc for a followup once you felt all better?
Plus, they are counting each positive test as a new case, even if it's the same person. So, if a person keeps testing positive then people are seeing the number of results thinking it's more than one person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies