Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 06:59 PM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So does eliminating "qualified immunity" also apply to other government workers and elected officials? Or do they only discriminate against police?
I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 07:10 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
So does eliminating "qualified immunity" also apply to other government workers and elected officials? Or do they only discriminate against police?
That's the thing !!!

Why should politicians have immunity or even the exemptions from the laws they get, from laws they pass !!!

If the ones involved in passing this law were putting the same limitations on themselves I might be more swayed !!! I don't see that happening !!! How many times have we heard from the politicians no one is above the law and yet they are !!!

Old 06-19-2020, 07:15 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
That's the thing !!!

Why should politicians have immunity or even the exemptions from the laws they get, from laws they pass !!!

If the ones involved in passing this law were putting the same limitations on themselves I might be more swayed !!! I don't see that happening !!! How many times have we heard from the politicians no one is above the law and yet they are !!!
They shouldn't. If, for example, they pass laws that cause the deaths of innocent people-they should be held responsible and accountable. If for example they release violent criminals from prison and those criminals hurt or kill anyone-the lawmakers should be held accountable. If an elected official or bureaucrat mandates that a nursing home takes a Covid-positive patient and people, particularly thousands of people, die because of it-they should be held responsible for murder. If judges refuse to sentence criminals to maximum sentences-any crimes they commit after their release and before the end of that time is on the judge. If elected officials "defund the police" and innocent people needlessly die-they should be held accountable. If people's property is destroyed because elected officials refuse to let police due their job and allow criminals to riot and loot-they should be personally responsible.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:28 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,791,856 times
If you want real police reform, get rid of their public unions.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:03 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
They shouldn't. If, for example, they pass laws that cause the deaths of innocent people-they should be held responsible and accountable. If for example they release violent criminals from prison and those criminals hurt or kill anyone-the lawmakers should be held accountable. If an elected official or bureaucrat mandates that a nursing home takes a Covid-positive patient and people, particularly thousands of people, die because of it-they should be held responsible for murder. If judges refuse to sentence criminals to maximum sentences-any crimes they commit after their release and before the end of that time is on the judge. If elected officials "defund the police" and innocent people needlessly die-they should be held accountable. If people's property is destroyed because elected officials refuse to let police due their job and allow criminals to riot and loot-they should be personally responsible.
That's my opinion on it too !!!
And if they are not, as Mayor on up to Governor, going to provide the police protection citizens pay for they need to be accountable with consequences just like the cops they threw under the bus !!! Including giving up their own police protection citizens pay for !!! They can hire their own security on their own dime !!! They need to be accountable at the same standard they apply to everyone else !!!

Old 06-19-2020, 10:40 PM

1,503 posts, read 608,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
So if a big city cop (LA, Chitown, NYC, etc) works for 20 years, he has... ....let's say..... 20-30 opportunities (that is a very conservative estimate) to make split -second decision during his 20 years.

He has to make the right decision EVERY SINGLE TIME. If not, he will faces certain death, prison, or lawsuits?

"BE PERFECT OR BE DEAD"

I am sure that will be a good recruitment catch.
Brain or heart surgeon has to make the right decision EVERY SINGLE TIME in a split second. If not, he will faces certain death, prison, or lawsuits?

"BE PERFECT OR BE DEAD"

Oh, wait, it is.

On a non-sarcastic note - yes, if my life depends on somebody else I want that somebody to be perfect.
Don't think you can be perfect? Don't take the job - it is that simple, isn't it?
Or you really want to have a decent paying job when you literally decides who lives and who not and be in no way responsible? Chutzpah in it's classic form.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:45 PM

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Another one here who NEVER agrees wit you but agrees here. Cops will just carry insurance like other have to do. Next, lets get rid of Police Unions and all public sector unions who work against the citizens that pay them.
Bye bye teacher's unions.

I'm good with that.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:49 PM

1,503 posts, read 608,343 times
Quote:
Agree on the above, with the following additions:
If judge sends an innocent to a prison - he should be send to the same prison for the same term.
If cop kills innocent - he should be killed to.
If doctor makes avoidable mistake (i.e. malpractice) - he should receive the same treatment.

Eye-for-eye. Ancient and the most honest and effective principle.

And no insurance should ever be available for any of the above. When you are dead from somebody's mistake, you don't need any money.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:01 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Brain or heart surgeon has to make the right decision EVERY SINGLE TIME in a split second. If not, he will faces certain death, prison, or lawsuits?

"BE PERFECT OR BE DEAD"

Oh, wait, it is.

On a non-sarcastic note - yes, if my life depends on somebody else I want that somebody to be perfect.
Don't think you can be perfect? Don't take the job - it is that simple, isn't it?
Or you really want to have a decent paying job when you literally decides who lives and who not and be in no way responsible? Chutzpah in it's classic form.
So you are saying brain surgeons and cops have YOUR life in their hands and they can take it away at will? I agree. Then how come one job makes 50k/year and the other job makes 200k/year?

Also, I didn’t know brain surgeon faces certain death if they ****ed up. Do they get ambushed or assassinated if they ****ed up? The only time brain surgeon or doctor faces prison is when they are in complete negligence and without any regard for their patient. If it’s a medical mishap without negligence, then their malpractice insurance is going to cover that.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:13 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
If a cop ****ed up, he has two really ****ty options for a job making 50k/year
a) go to prison cause he reacts too fast
b) he gets shot cause he hesitates and not react fast enough

If a brain surgeon ****ed up , he also has 2 options
a) go to prison cause he is negligence
b) I am sorry we are unable to save your loved one because she passed away before we can get to her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies