Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 05:20 PM

1,037 posts, read 436,044 times

Advertisements

Ohio is an Iriquois word for "good or great river". I don't want my state being named from an Indian word!

Just kidding, but I'll wait for that to happen by someone.

Leatherlips was a well known Ohio Wyandot, that is derogatory!

Same notation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 05:43 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,868,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what's next...Italian Ices???
I don't know why people keep busting out this kind of thing as though it's making a salient point. The word "Italian" is not insulting or inaccurate. Sorbetto is a food that's actually Italian.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:54 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I don't know why people keep busting out this kind of thing as though it's making a salient point. The word "Italian" is not insulting or inaccurate. Sorbetto is a food that's actually Italian.
and???

the word eskimo is not insulting or inaccurate, as it is a description of a group of people (and their language) indigenous people inhabiting northern Canada, Alaska, Greenland, and eastern Siberia,

Es·ki·mo

/ˈeskəˌmō/

noun
noun: Eskimo; plural noun: Eskimos; plural noun: Eskimo

1. 1.
    a member of an indigenous people inhabiting northern Canada, Alaska, Greenland, and eastern Siberia, traditionally living by hunting (especially of seals) and by fishing.

2. 2.
    either of the two main languages spoken by indigenous peoples of the Arctic (Inuit and Yupik), forming a major division of the Eskimo-Aleut family.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:38 PM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Now I want an Eskimo Pie. Thanks Libs!

Old 06-23-2020, 07:10 PM

1,941 posts, read 828,190 times
Quote:
and???

the word eskimo is not insulting or inaccurate, as it is a description of a group of people (and their language) indigenous people inhabiting northern Canada, Alaska, Greenland, and eastern Siberia,

[/list]
The original meaning meaning of a word doesn't matter. If a word offends someone, it's an offensive word.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:59 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,868,996 times
Quote:
and???

Es·ki·mo
/ˈeskəˌmō/
noun
noun: Eskimo; plural noun: Eskimos; plural noun: Eskimo
  1. 1.
    a member of an indigenous people inhabiting northern Canada, Alaska, Greenland, and eastern Siberia, traditionally living by hunting (especially of seals) and by fishing.
  2. 2.
    either of the two main languages spoken by indigenous peoples of the Arctic (Inuit and Yupik), forming a major division of the Eskimo-Aleut family.
Hey, did you actually click through to the rest of that dictionary entry? Here's the next part!
Quote:
Usage notes
Eskimo has come to be considered offensive, especially in Canada, because it was widely thought to stem from a Cree pejorative meaning “eaters of raw meat”[9][7][8][4][5] (although both the Cree and Inuit ate raw meat).
In Canada, it has been superseded by Inuit (for the peoples, and Inuvialuit for those in the Western Arctic). The term is still used worldwide by historians and archaeologists.
In Alaska, indigenous Alaskans find this term too imprecise and prefer "Alaska Native", as "Eskimo" encompasses (and is the only encompassing term for) all the Arctic peoples including the Inuit Inupiat and the non-Inuit Yupik. However, Eskimo does not include the related Aleut people (Unangam).
Greenland natives also call themselves Greenlanders or Kalaallit, and their language Greenlandic or Kalaallisut.
Not that arguments based on the dictionary are particularly compelling, but your own source disagrees with you. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't read that far, rather than that you were being deliberately dishonest.

Last edited by Frostnip; 06-23-2020 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 08:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northofnowhere View Post
The original meaning meaning of a word doesn't matter. If a word offends someone, it's an offensive word.
Liberalism offends me and a lot of people, so add that to the list of offensive words.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northofnowhere View Post
so if a word offends someone (anyone) it is offensive....might as well throw the whole dictionary out then

Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What don't you explain it to us and how it a derivation of a NON derogatory French word? While you are searching for other ways in which people can be offended of course. It must be nice to have the luxury and vanity to obsess over things that can't hurt people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
TBPO.... I’ve never heard anyone disparaging the word “Eskimo” or Eskimo people, nor do I know any Eskimos so I’ve never had a discussion with an Eskimo about their take on being called an Eskimo. I like Eskimo “kisses” though, ( and Eskimo Pies)
Although I understand it that most Americans are ignorant as to why the word "Eskimo" is offensive to Inuit, rather than be derisive about it, as they above two posts are, why not try and educate yourself. Or are you comfortable making fun of why blacks are offended by the "N" word?

Pilot1 thinks it's a french word. What he obviously does not know is that the French fur traders worked extensively with the Woodland Cree, who used the term in a derogatory way to talk about the Inuit. Sydney123 just doesn't get it at all.

Don't let your ignorance perpetuate racists stereotypes. I was well into my late 20's before, as a Canadian, I had any idea the "N" word was offensive to blacks. I just didn't know, and it took a trip to the USA for me to be schooled.

Consider yourselves schooled why the word Eskimo is equally offensive.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:49 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,009,164 times
Yet words like F*ck, G.D., etc. are now no longer offensive and part of everyday vernacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies