Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 01:16 AM

380 posts, read 125,906 times

Advertisements

I guess Dutch Masters cigars are on the hit list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 02:21 AM

12,453 posts, read 9,540,640 times
I wonder why we don't see products like "Whitey's Waffles" with some strange caricature of a fat white boy digging into a stack of waffles? Wouldn't that be great?

Old 06-20-2020, 02:38 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
I'm not trying to speak for anyone, but in my experience actual Inupiat, Inuit, and Yupik people (aka "Eskimos") in my part of the world generally identify by their specific group or more broadly as Native, Indigenous or Alaska Native - I seldom hear an actual person say "I'm an Eskimo" except in a joking way; instead they'd say "I'm Yupik" (or whatever). There's not really another good blanket term for all these related groups so people generally accept "Eskimo" when talking about circumpolar Native people in general, but it's generally not done to call an individual person an Eskimo in most circumstances. It's not a racial slur like "redskin," but it just often sounds ignorant and awkward when used outside of certain contexts like linguistics or the Arctic Games. And racist people definitely use it in a racially charged way, like...certainly not all uses of the word Eskimo are racist, but you sure do hear racist people running their mouths about "those Eskimos" and whatnot.

I think Canadians tend to view the word more negatively than Alaskans do.

Last edited by Frostnip; 06-20-2020 at 03:13 AM..

Old 06-20-2020, 03:05 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Well that settles it.

Funny how every CD poster always has one friend of every race who is always okay with the racially insensitive topic of the day.
It really is a small world - you have to get out more! Not like the old days - people are mobile now and due to that you are apt to meet many different people.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:23 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Well that settles it.

Funny how every CD poster always has one friend of every race who is always okay with the racially insensitive topic of the day.
Ha, right? I also like the idea that her friend "of Native American heritage" apparently is in charge of deciding what peoples across vast swaths of northern Alaska, Canada, Greenland and Siberia get called, lol.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:18 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/eskimo-...ys-11592603310

Will the madness never end? :sma ck:
Corporate wussies.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:29 AM

380 posts, read 125,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I wonder why we don't see products like "Whitey's Waffles" with some strange caricature of a fat white boy digging into a stack of waffles? Wouldn't that be great?
Yes.

We like dumplings, too.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
All this crap has gotten so far out of hand it isn't funny, it is just down right sad. I guess there is nothing that we can enjoy saying or products we are used to that is PC anymore. I can't imagine what life will be like here on earth in 100 years or what the kids will be taught in school: I can be pretty sure the USA will not be thought of as a great country by then. What a shame this will be.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:35 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Ariel Tweto ("Flying Wild Alaska") was asked if being called an Eskimo insulted her.
She laughed, and said no one she knew thought it was an insult.
(She's half Alaskan native, btw)
. . .

Those who are acting 'offended' are Leftist loons seeking 'oppressed masses' where there are none.
Yep, leftist loons who need a “cause”, because it’s easy to be a victim. All of us could claim to be victims of something and be offended by something. Do we really want to live in a such a world. I sure as h3ll don’t!

Old 06-20-2020, 05:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
All this crap has gotten so far out of hand it isn't funny, it is just down right sad. I guess there is nothing that we can enjoy saying or products we are used to that is PC anymore. I can't imagine what life will be like here on earth in 100 years or what the kids will be taught in school: I can be pretty sure the USA will not be thought of as a great country by then. What a shame this will be.
Yeah and the irony is that there has never been a country in the history of the world that people wanted to move to and live in as much as they do the US. The left is quickly ruining that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies