Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2020, 04:20 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
There are things we can do to stem the bleeding. Trump needs to win in November. He needs to sign an EO shutting down all social media like twitter and tic tac or whatever other voodoo is out there. These things are driving people crazy.

No more politics on the internet including this site. Shut it all down.
Trump is addicted to Twitter. Will not happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 04:20 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I know some of this to be true.

But, no, Canada isn't less racist. And Canadians aren't better educated (rates of higher education achievement are about the same in both countries). There are just as many not-so-bright Canadians as Americans who'd rather watch (American) reality TV than, say, read a book.

You'll never convince me otherwise.
So facts won't change your mind? Because you are wrong about the bolded.

https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?Da...RAD_ENTR_RATES

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/the-...the-world.html

The US has some excellent and top rated universities, but it is far down the list of people who graduate from them.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:22 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
My parents came here in 1979 from India knowing America was the land of opportunity where hard work can achieve success and made their dream a reality. Indian immigration has only grown exponentially since then, most with the same dream, but increasingly some that want to just come here and work for a few years and then go back to India with the wealth they accumulated here and raise their families there. In the past 2 months, I've heard more Indians who intended on staying here also considering returning there as they feel America may be on the decline while India continues to rise. I consider America my home but fear the future if either the extreme left wing takes over allowing criminals to openly commit crime without any consequences and the middle class pays the majority of their income in taxes to support the welfare class without any rewards for their hard work OR the extreme right wing with a resurgence of open racism against POC as was acceptable prior to the civil rights movement. Either one of those extremes seem like a real possibility based on how things have played out over the past two months and it's scary. Where are those good old fashioned moderates from the 1990s and early 2000s?
Kind of one sided. At 67 this country has its ups and downs - but we have a very strong constitution-and 99% of Americans support it. What you hear and see on tv is not even the 1% of either, right or left radicals. Being Indian- your parents came here for better opportunities- and maybe have no strong ties. I was born here and good, bad or indifferent - I will do my part for a better future for my grands here. This is where my loyalties lie - and I love to travel and have- but this is home and I’ll fight for her.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:22 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Here is one problem, the majority of the nation is not and cannot survive without the other part(s). There are many things that California ports and New York and Philadelphia ports take in that are later sent to the Midwest or vice versa (namely crops.) If we fracture, I doubt we'll fracture evenly and on good terms.

Oh and globalism is apolitical. Republicans do it as much as they claim Democrats do it. The Republicans just cater to a bunch of Stockholm syndrome supporters who believe only Democrats do what they think is wrong. Same goes with illegal immigration. Why else do you think Republicans couldn't get it done in 2017/8?
profit is a very good motive that will encourage trade, if it comes to this.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:27 PM

1,411 posts, read 566,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Our country will be just fine, despite efforts by the white supremacists to destroy it from within.
Is that what you read on the BLM website or an Antifa flyer? Otherwise, if it's an actual opinion of your own, seek help, or maybe it's just best you wallow in your own wokeness & ignorance.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:28 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Kind of one sided. At 67 this country has its ups and downs - but we have a very strong constitution-and 99% of Americans support it. What you hear and see on tv is not even the 1% of either, right or left radicals. Being Indian- your parents came here for better opportunities- and maybe have no strong ties. I was born here and good, bad or indifferent - I will do my part for a better future for my grands here. This is where my loyalties lie - and I love to travel and have- but this is home and I’ll fight for her.
you sure? because it feels like > 50% do not support the 2nd amendment.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:30 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Why is that a problem?

Old 06-21-2020, 04:40 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Absolutely do. You think everyone’s # 1 thought of the day is politics ?? Get real. Most want people to treat others nice, and for all to have a decent job. Most do not like they riots and looting but understand protesting is a right.
The younger generation wants the constitution to be for everybody, not just the dam rich or certain people who feel deserve the benefits but others do not.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:26 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Then I'm confused. What did you mean by " And Canadians aren't better educated (rates of higher education achievement are about the same in both countries)"
Higher rates of "some kind of education after high school" ≠ rates of university graduates. There's a difference.

If you look at The Conference Board of Canada data, the US has higher rates of university graduates. That's what I meant.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:27 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So facts won't change your mind? Because you are wrong about the bolded.

https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?Da...RAD_ENTR_RATES

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/the-...the-world.html

The US has some excellent and top rated universities, but it is far down the list of people who graduate from them.
See my post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies