Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 09:14 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times

Advertisements

Hve to say that I didn't expect to read this about Bluer-than-Blue California. Especially that there was much of a KKK presence out there. So is this article just being overblown about this particular situation?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/confedera...100007342.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 09:40 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Using The hanging of the man in Victorville and the shooting death of the half-brother of the man found hung in Palmdale to spotlight racism in California is idiotic. The hanging in Victorville was found to be suicide as evidenced with, if I recall, a video showed the death and the family came out and stated so. As for the half-brother of the man found hung in Palmdale was wanted for domestic violence and kidnapping and jumped out of his car and shot at police, which at this point evidence supports the scenario. My lord, this is getting ridiculous.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:40 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Get away from the coasts and California can be as hillbilly as anywhere. In San Diego County there is a town in the interior named Santee whose nickname is Klantee.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:02 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,547,612 times
The party distribution in California resembles the national map. Registered Democrats far outnumber the Republicans, but big chunks of the territory are red:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...s-14446731.php

It's similar in Washington state.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:16 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Woulda never imagined yahoo would get in on the race baiting click bait.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:26 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
The backwaters of CA are actually just as or more dangerous than its inner cities. Have been for as long as I can remember. I actually finished high school in CA. Mendocino county. Place called Potter Valley outside of Ukiah.

Back then it was a VERY rural area. Haven't been there in 20 years or better but I think it still is. A rather interesting mix of people. Farmer/ranchers, hippy dope growers and more...militant dope growers. Even the hippy types weren't the peace love groovy types. Meth took over big in the late 80s.

It was a culture shock for me as a teenager from rural NV landing there. Racism? Not so much. But there were no Black people living in PV. Hispanics and some Pomo Indians. Ukiah had lots of Black people but the surrounding small areas didnt.

But I dont recall any racial issues really. In 82 there was a big to do because of some White supremacist group that pulled an armored car heist on hwy 20 by Lake Mendocino. Made off with like 6 mil if memory serves. They got away clean but the feds caught up with them I. WA a few years later.

At any rate CA isnt as progressive as you might think outside the cities.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:40 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The backwaters of CA are actually just as or more dangerous than its inner cities. Have been for as long as I can remember. I actually finished high school in CA. Mendocino county. Place called Potter Valley outside of Ukiah.

Back then it was a VERY rural area. Haven't been there in 20 years or better but I think it still is. A rather interesting mix of people. Farmer/ranchers, hippy dope growers and more...militant dope growers. Even the hippy types weren't the peace love groovy types. Meth took over big in the late 80s.

It was a culture shock for me as a teenager from rural NV landing there. Racism? Not so much. But there were no Black people living in PV. Hispanics and some Pomo Indians. Ukiah had lots of Black people but the surrounding small areas didnt.

But I dont recall any racial issues really. In 82 there was a big to do because of some White supremacist group that pulled an armored car heist on hwy 20 by Lake Mendocino. Made off with like 6 mil if memory serves. They got away clean but the feds caught up with them I. WA a few years later.

CA is decidedly conservative outside the major population centers. But they mind their own business and as long as you do to then there isn't an issue.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:43 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

This documentary series was a real eye opener.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80217475

Old 06-27-2020, 11:52 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Get away from the coasts and California can be as hillbilly as anywhere. In San Diego County there is a town in the interior named Santee whose nickname is Klantee.
This. Go inland and you may as well be in East Butthump, Alabama.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:04 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Ditto. I used to work in the more rural areas in the Antelope Valley (AV) in the late 90s-early 00s. There were anti-gay mormons, rednecks,retired cops,etc. Most of the "minorities" were in Lancaster. The areas in the LA basin where I encountered the most racists were: Monrovia, San Dimas, Arcadia, Covina, Sta Clarita, Whittier and the Antelope Valley area. I tend to think that most of these old white people have died off or moved to cheaper states due to the demographic changes. I remember a retired cop in Whittier who told me that Coeur D'Alene, Idaho was a mecca destination for retiree cops. That was back in the early 90s just after Rodney King.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies