Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 05:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Where it came form and how it stared is meaningless in today's world except if you are interested in history.

Do I have to know the automobile history and how it came to be came to be in order to like the car I have now?

I KNOW Canada's GOVT care is not as good as many claim which is WHY so many Canadians purchase EXTRA insurance just as is done in other countries tries.

I prefer employers of providing insurance over the gov't handling it all.

I have been involved with govt provide health care via the VA. If the fed can't handle the much, much smaller numbers of patients , how in the hell are they going handle hundreds of MILLIONS. They CAN'T.

The fed couldn't even get OCare's computer system to work, I believe I read whee it was michelle's sister's company", so how do you expect them to handle hundreds of MILLIONS?

About 85% of Americans get their heath care insurance through their employers. They system works just fine.

Here we go again!

Not just wrong, but abysmally wrong even on the stuff you offer up as factual within your own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 06:01 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Where it came form and how it stared is meaningless in today's world except if you are interested in history.
No, it isn't. History explains how the Fed Gov's (FDR's, more specifically) actions engendered the beginning of employer-provided health care insurance in the 1940s, and then continued/continue to incentivize it (by making it a tax-free form of compensation) for decades.

Quote:
Do I have to know the automobile history and how it came to be came to be in order to like the car I have now?

I KNOW Canada's GOVT care is not as good as many claim which is WHY so many Canadians purchase EXTRA insurance just as is done in other countries tries.

I prefer employers of providing insurance over the gov't handling it all.

I have been involved with govt provide health care via the VA. If the fed can't handle the much, much smaller numbers of patients , how in the hell are they going handle hundreds of MILLIONS. They CAN'T.

The fed couldn't even get OCare's computer system to work, I believe I read where it was michelle's sister's company", so how do you expect them to handle hundreds of MILLIONS?

About 85% of Americans get their heath care insurance through their employers and are HAPPY with it. They system works just fine
I agree 100%. Just pointing out that it was the Fed Gov, actually FDR, that spawned the US's predominantly employer-provided health insurance system still in place to this day.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:05 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Here we go again!

Not just wrong, but abysmally wrong even on the stuff you offer up as factual within your own country.
If it's so wrong, BruSan, WHY do 2/3 of Canadians have private supplemental health care insurance? WHY doesn't Canadian medicine just cover it all?

Old 07-05-2020, 06:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. Until the US has fixed their migrant policies and secured our borders and... addressed our much higher medical and pharma costs, we can't afford to offer universal health care.

Canada is fine because they have very strict immigration policies and has the US being their border wall from illegal migrants from Central and South Americas. The UK wanted out from the EU in part because they have the best healthcare system in the EU and too many were trying to move to the UK to partake of their system.

Otherwise, of the other First World countries with universal healthcare, they have much smaller population numbers AND most of the healthcare is clinic based. In addition, our higher costs are due to being charged the most for pharmaceuticals AND... Americans being so sue-happy. Malpractice insurance premiums are high and lawyers fees through the roof. Plus with any medical settlements, lawyers take a THIRD of it as their cut.

So somehow in America, we need to stop suing our doctors and pharma companies for the greater good. And we need to cut lawyers out of any compensation settlements.

Also, perhaps there needs to be set limits on what is covered under a universal healthcare system, with certain procedures considered "luxuries" that aren't covered but instead funded out of pocket. So there could be private insurance policies to cover that. And the poor people could turn to sites like GoFundMe to pay for their "premium" medical needs.

What I am saying is that an American universal healthcare system would only offer and meet the basic needs, and also not be available free to illegals and their children. I still don't think that illegals and their children ought to be using our public education system for free. America needs to remove all these incentives for impoverished people to jump our borders.
See how simply that was?

Old 07-05-2020, 06:11 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,961 times
Why do we have a constant parade of wealthy Canadians at the Mayo Clinic because they don’t trust the quacks in the Canadian system and they don’t want to wait months to years for treatment?

Old 07-05-2020, 06:12 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
~1/2 of Americans get their healthcare insurance at work.

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/res...their-employer

When they lose their job, they lose their incomes AND their healthcare insurance...devastating. Unemployment is grossly inadequate.

Americans will have on average 11.7 jobs in their lives. Some of these jobs will be lost unexpectedly, so most Americans will be w/o healthcare coverage at least once. How so?

Some can afford COBRA...some can't. Some can afford subsidized ACA...some can't. Some qualify for medicaid..some don't.

https://www.edsurge.com/news/2017-07...ing-millennial

The #1 cause of bankrupcy (62%) in the U.S. is medical expenses, & 78% of those had insurance, but were underinsured...some through employer-provided plans.

https://www.investopedia.com/top-5-r...nkrupt-4773404

Employer provided insurance premiums rise ~5%/yr, or ~40% since 2013, far outpacing inflation.

Conclusion: tying jobs to healthcare insurance does not attain the objectives of; continuous, affordable, & adequate coverage for all.

~1/2 don't get coverage at work.

Many in this group can't afford subsidized ACA coverage, some make too much to qualify for subsidies, but can't afford insurance elsewhere either (gappers). Those who do have ACA coverage are seeing annual premiums skyrocket, and deductibles are too high. This group has unexpected job losses too...

https://www.cms.gov/blog/thank-obamacare-rise-uninsured

...Pre-ACA, we had 18% uninsured, in 2018 we had 14% (& rising), but with 23M losing healthcare coverage due to C-19 job losses, we are back above the pre-ACA rate of 18%. ACA failed to cover all as promised, and now LESS are covered.

Many places in America are down to just 1 or 2 ACA providers. The ~50% who do NOT get coverage at work, have seen their private market insurance rates (including ACA) more than DOUBLE since 2013 (see CMS link above).

Conclusion: ACA insurance does not attain the objective of; universal, continuous, & affordable coverage.

Summary
Today, we have MORE uninsured Americans than we had pre-ACA, & ~1/2 of those who are insured are paying 100% (2x) more than they were paying 7 years ago, & the other 1/2 are paying 40% more.

The rate of premium increase is much higher in the private insurance sector (including ACA) than in the employer provided sector (100% vs. 40%) which amplifies the failure of ACA.

If the trend lines on all of this indicated improvement, we could ignore it all, but they're not. The trend line shows every metric worsening. The goal of universal, continuous, adequate, & affordable coverage for all is not being met for the overwhelming majority of Americans in either group.

Great summary but no solution.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:14 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
simple solution... buy Obamacare! that's Joe Biden's plan...

average premiums for a family of four in 2020?.............$17,000+

average deductible for a family of four in 2020?.............$7,000+

Old 07-05-2020, 06:50 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Why do we have a constant parade of wealthy Canadians at the Mayo Clinic because they don’t trust the quacks in the Canadian system and they don’t want to wait months to years for treatment?
in 2017 found that on average a Canadian spends $6,604 in taxes for healthcare coverage. Family of four? $ 6604 x 4.....

Old 07-05-2020, 08:17 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
in 2017 found that on average a Canadian spends $6,604 in taxes for healthcare coverage. Family of four? $ 6604 x 4.....
Really? Well using the same source (OECD) and your logic, “in 2017 found that on average an American spends $13,722 for healthcare coverage. Family of four? $ 13,722 x 4.....”

https://www.cihi.ca/en/how-does-cana...ending-compare

Old 07-05-2020, 08:58 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
[b][u] the objectives of; continuous, affordable, & adequate coverage for all.
There is no such thing, and never will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies