Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,354,586 times

Advertisements

well, for one they know my salary cause I filled out an application. 2. I don't know anyone that has less than 20 days for sick and vacation, who works a professional, salary job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,302,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
well, for one they know my salary cause I filled out an application. 2. I don't know anyone that has less than 20 days for sick and vacation, who works a professional, salary job!
OK - but, they would not know your vacation time - and I know a BUNCH of professional type employers who would provide the first year 40 hours vacation (5 days) and 4 hours per month of sick leave.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 PM

well, it seems pretty crappy to do to someone that has years of experience. At least my current employer took into consideration my work history, and gave me 5 days up front. I've heard the same things from other new employers. I think this is pretty lame! Sorry!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 PM

ps. I would gladly take unpaid leave but that is not an option.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:56 PM

769 posts, read 2,234,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveitorleaveit View Post
you're damn right. I'm a crack dealer : I don't want a government interceding into my business. People, let's shut down all the police departements across the country. I don't need a babysitter to teach me wow to behave.
LMAO!

You make a great point. These libertarians kill me with this, "Government shouldn't interfere with business" garbage. Why do they think these businesses are allowed to exist? Because of the freaking government! If they don't like government so much then why don't they live in Somalia? They can live there and have fun and see what it is like to run a business w/o being regulated by a government at all. Now that is true freedom!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,170,731 times
I came to Germany 7 years ago and I must say that the generous vacation time workers receive here is the number one reason why I have stayed as long as I have. I remember working at jobs in the US where you weren't even allowed to take vacation until you had been at your job for a whole year, and then it was some measly amount like 2 weeks (10 days) unless you had years of seniority...plus holidays and maybe a few "personal days" which were supposed to be used for illness or dr.'s appointments. I work for the German office of a large US company and we get 28 days annually (which you start accruing your first day on the job), plus national holidays and as much sick leave as you need. A dr's note is required if you are absent 3 or more days in a row. Of course, some people abuse this policy, but "chronic sick day takers," who call in every Monday or whatever, may be asked by HR to supply a dr's note from their first day of absence.

Call me selfish but I would rather get sufficient r&r and have time for a private life, than work myself to death for the sake of the corporation or aiding the national economy and I believe most Europeans feel the same way. Although Americans might get higher wages on paper, and pay less taxes, in my experience the quality of life in Germany (for the average schmoe working in a regular job, at least) beats US hands down. I've met so many people here who are not wealthy at all but still manage to travel to far more exotic locations (not just within Europe) than virtually any of the Americans I've known. Even unemployed people collecting "arbeitslosengeld" are allowed a certain number of vacation days per year!

I could go on and on...at the same time, there are many things I miss about the US, things which are clearly superior there than here. If the US ever changed its attitudes about vacation policies (and health insurance, and supporting useable, efficient public transportation...), I might be more tempted to move back permanently.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 AM

769 posts, read 2,234,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I came to Germany 7 years ago and I must say that the generous vacation time workers receive here is the number one reason why I have stayed as long as I have. I remember working at jobs in the US where you weren't even allowed to take vacation until you had been at your job for a whole year, and then it was some measly amount like 2 weeks (10 days) unless you had years of seniority...plus holidays and maybe a few "personal days" which were supposed to be used for illness or dr.'s appointments. I work for the German office of a large US company and we get 28 days annually (which you start accruing your first day on the job), plus national holidays and as much sick leave as you need. A dr's note is required if you are absent 3 or more days in a row. Of course, some people abuse this policy, but "chronic sick day takers," who call in every Monday or whatever, may be asked by HR to supply a dr's note from their first day of absence.

Call me selfish but I would rather get sufficient r&r and have time for a private life, than work myself to death for the sake of the corporation or aiding the national economy and I believe most Europeans feel the same way. Although Americans might get higher wages on paper, and pay less taxes, in my experience the quality of life in Germany (for the average schmoe working in a regular job, at least) beats US hands down. I've met so many people here who are not wealthy at all but still manage to travel to far more exotic locations (not just within Europe) than virtually any of the Americans I've known. Even unemployed people collecting "arbeitslosengeld" are allowed a certain number of vacation days per year!

I could go on and on...at the same time, there are many things I miss about the US, things which are clearly superior there than here. If the US ever changed its attitudes about vacation policies (and health insurance, and supporting useable, efficient public transportation...), I might be more tempted to move back permanently.
You make up some great points; especially the part I bolded. Personally, I'd still rather live in the U.S. than Europe though. I just really agree with the part about having to work myself to death for the sake of the corporation.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 AM

9,380 posts, read 20,840,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
You make up some great points; especially the part I bolded. Personally, I'd still rather live in the U.S. than Europe though. I just really agree with the part about having to work myself to death for the sake of the corporation.
I have a solution, then. Go into business for yourself. Start your own company and don't rely on a company determining your destiny, if that's the way you feel.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I have a solution, then. Go into business for yourself. Start your own company and don't rely on a company determining your destiny, if that's the way you feel.
An excellent point. If you don't want to be a wage monkey, be an entrepreneur. If I want to take time off, I take time off.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 AM

654 posts, read 1,212,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gildossantos View Post
The US are

Besides getting less vacation than workers in many other countries, Americans often don't use all the time that they do get, and what vacation they take is spent in small slices and often in contact with the office, according to findings from studies.

What about you?

1- what's your job?
2- how many paid vacation days do you have?
3- do you use your vacation days or not? why?
4- do you stay in contact with the office while on vacation?
5- would you agree with a federal law mandating that companies pay employees for time off or that they grant them a minimum amount of vacation days?
6- if your boss asked you to choose : pay raise or more paid vacation days, what would you choose?

Thanks for countribution?
1)Contractor

2)In my current job I get 17 paid vacations a year, with increases in the number of days every few years. I also get 10 federal holidays.

3)Yes

4)Not at all. My time off is for me, unless they want to reimburse me for that time.

5)No. First of all, business that want to attract the best/most skilled employees will offer benefits to reflect that. Businesses that don't offer competitive benefits to their employees have a hard time with retention and with attracting the best qualified and experienced workers.
Secondly, requiring businesses to offer a certain number of vacation days to its employees would be a great disadvantage to small companies that might not be able to afford to stay in business if they had to pay salaries to people who weren't at work.

6)That all depends on how much I enjoy my job, how many more days are being offered, and how much of a pay raise is being offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies