Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

If the government did not mandate vacations this hyper competitive Mammon worshiping profit obsessed society wouldn't have any.

I'll always take time over more money because they don't tax my time and, like everybody else, I only have so much time and I don't know how much that is. "Eat, drink and be merry because tomorrow you die" is getting truer every day. Stock your memory because after the Alzheimer’s hits that will be all you will have.

Besides I never thought working to make somebody else's profit was such a good idea. I work for my profit and to make myself comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:28 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If the government did not mandate vacations this hyper competitive Mammon worshiping profit obsessed society wouldn't have any.
The United States Government does not mandate vacations Greg

Old 05-01-2008, 12:23 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
HEY!! Did you have a great life?

"well yeah,I always had a job,went to work,never took sick days,paid my utility.health insurance,car insurance,house insurance and fuel bills"

hmmm,did you ever see another place,go to another location,meet different people?

"well no,why should I?America is the greatest land and people".Most of the rest of the world is poor anyway"Besides all those foreigners are hostile and strange anyway".

yeah.....how do you know that?,you never went there or anywhere?

"ugh"

Old 05-01-2008, 12:55 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,269 times
1- what's your job? - no job, retired military
2- how many paid vacation days do you have? 365
3- do you use your vacation days or not? why? - hayel, yes!
4- do you stay in contact with the office while on vacation? - hayel, no!
5- would you agree with a federal law mandating that companies pay employees for time off or that they grant them a minimum amount of vacation days? - undecided
6- if your boss asked you to choose : pay raise or more paid vacation days, what would you choose? - I ain't goin' back to work for nobody!

Thanks for countribution? - yo're welcome!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:05 PM

Many people in America are so consumed with work and bills that marriages often crumble because of lack of sex,lack of time together and just too tired.

Now the trend is send the kids to daycare where now the kids get less attention from mom and dad,but the parents are busy working for the daycare,the different insurances,the utilities,the luxuries,the kids.

We are a nation of faxes,next day air,internet,cell phones that is use to instant results.It is more common for people to work thru vacation,eat while working,and alot of companies promote this.

Of course you don't have to work for the company,just build a tent in the woods and live for free........oh wait there is no more free land.It's all fenced private or government owned.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gildossantos View Post
The US are

Besides getting less vacation than workers in many other countries, Americans often don't use all the time that they do get, and what vacation they take is spent in small slices and often in contact with the office, according to findings from studies.

What about you?

1- what's your job?
2- how many paid vacation days do you have?
3- do you use your vacation days or not? why?
4- do you stay in contact with the office while on vacation?
5- would you agree with a federal law mandating that companies pay employees for time off or that they grant them a minimum amount of vacation days?
6- if your boss asked you to choose : pay raise or more paid vacation days, what would you choose?

Thanks for countribution?
I work for Home Depot, pulling freight. I've worked there for three years, and get 80 hours of vacation, in addition to "personal time". I generally use my "vacation time" during tax season..even though I COULD work both at once, it permits me to work later for those two weeks of it. I take one at the beginning, and one at the end. Home Depot will NOT call me while I'm on vacation to come in and work...it's a vacation, I'm not supposed to work during it. On #5, I do NOT agree. If I had the OPTION of not taking vacation, I wouldn't--I feel bad about accepting PAY for NOT working. I'd prefer a pay raise to a vacation. However, it would cost the company MORE in the long run to give me a nickel raise, for example, rather than pay me throughout the year.

To wit, whether I work 8 hours, or get paid for 8 hours of vacation, it costs the company the same amount of money.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
HEY!! Did you have a great life?
Yes, thank you.

I've been privileged to travel to all 50 States multiple times. Traveled extensively throughout Europe, Asia - including throughout China. Have visited Russia several times. Had wonderful trips "Down Under" -

So, yes - I have had a fantastic life.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yes, thank you.

I've been privileged to travel to all 50 States multiple times. Traveled extensively throughout Europe, Asia - including throughout China. Have visited Russia several times. Had wonderful trips "Down Under" -

So, yes - I have had a fantastic life.
GOOD for you man.I traveled around America last year for a month.First time I was able to do it and was jobless,it was a great experience that opened my views on America and myself.

Years of just working everyday,at times just to pay for food and bills,it was a healing experience.I'd like to do that on a international level also.I think travel is a experience that makes a person grow and is a memory you have forever.Too bad most people are so busy working all the time and sometimes working for material things true,but too many Americans talk about foreign places and people and have never been there or talked to one.

I often talk to people in certain European countries,and other places on the internet anyway.It opens your POV and theirs when you actually communicate and debate rather than go on assumptions.

America is a great country,what too many American's don't realize is that other people have a different idea what makes them happy and too many American's can't seem to realize that while they think America is the greatest and most advanced lifestyle others don't think so and would rather live more simple.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
A lack of vacation time is contributing to a weakening of our culture. Alot of people in the US HAVE NO HOBBIES anymore, especially hobbies that take some time to learn or practice. Watching TV is not a great way to unwind, folks, and yet alot of Americans do it. A beer and TV is their idea of "down time". It's better than nothing but it's leading to a cultural wasteland.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:44 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Anyway, I came back into this thread to basically say that AMERICA IS NOT EUROPE! People really need to stop comparing America to Europe because, quite honestly, America gives its citizens more opportunities to create your own way of life than Europe. In Europe, because the social lines of the lower class, middle class, and upper class are so tight it is very hard to move upward.!
Right. Like Sir Elton John, who grew up in a modest East London flat to working class parents, and is now minor nobility, which puts him in the upper class of British life. Yes, Europe has no social mobility at all. How laughable.

The difference between Europe and the US is in the US all you have to do is steal and plunder your way into the upper class. In Europe you have to earn that place through service to the state and its citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies