Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 08:43 AM

8,959 posts, read 2,566,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
At 0.1% death rate, Rhode island would need to have 1 mil infections (so basically all its population), LA - 3.3 million, etc. Do I need to continue?

The virus is far from harmless, and as I said multiple times before death or full recovery are not the only possible outcomes.

"Other places"? Yes, South Korea, Germany had mass testing figured out and prepared in January. In Taiwan, they started wearing masks in early January and so on. We had a "travel ban" in the end of that month.

In terms of the current situation: TX, Fl, AZ, etc had the benefit of time, huge amount of time, in fact, compared to NYC or Lombardy. So there is no way to justify the current mess.
Rhode Island was caught in the wake of NYC, and I already spelled out to you why they had higher death rates than normal in those situations.

You can ignorantly drone on with propaganda, but I can tell you from first hand experience both personally and professionally that the virus is largely harmless. Now that it has become clear how incredibly low the mortality rate from this virus really is, we have spinsters trying to make people believe that those who get over the virus are somehow permanently damaged from it when that's far from the truth in 95+% of cases.

The vast, vast majority of people are either functionally immune to the virus meaning they'd be asymptomatic carriers, or they'll have incredibly mild and short lived symptoms. Sorry killer, that's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 08:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...483-5/fulltext

For those of you who think that 'herd immunity' is possible for COVID, here's a research article suggesting it's not.

So in the meantime, please just wear the damn mask until we do find some immunity.
Good News is bad news for the Commies.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:53 AM

8,159 posts, read 3,703,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Wake Forest COVID Study: Death Rate, Severity Of Symptoms Is Lower Than First Thought
https://www.wfae.org/post/wake-fores...ought#stream/0

https://www.wakehealth.edu/Coronavir...dates-and-Data
So not published, got it. And absolutely no relevant details on how it was done. Next.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:55 AM

6,373 posts, read 2,923,063 times
Quote:
At 0.1% death rate, Rhode island would need to have 1 mil infections (so basically all its population), LA - 3.3 million, etc. Do I need to continue?

The virus is far from harmless, and as I said multiple times before death or full recovery are not the only possible outcomes.

"Other places"? Yes, South Korea, Germany had mass testing figured out and prepared in January. In Taiwan, they started wearing masks in early January and so on. We had a "travel ban" in the end of that month.

In terms of the current situation: TX, Fl, AZ, etc had the benefit of time, huge amount of time, in fact, compared to NYC or Lombardy. So there is no way to justify the current mess.
The death rate is heavily dependent on age. It was estimated by CDC to be 0.2 % for people up to age 40. People in their 40s have a 0.4 % rate. People in their 50s have a 1.3% rate. For 60s it's 3.6%. 70s it's 8% and 80s it's 14%. The disease got to the older people first and made it look like a high death rate. And you can probably divide all those rates by 10 because so many people get the virus and don't get diagnose because they have no symptoms.

https://scitechdaily.com/coronavirus...ed-by-experts/

Old 07-08-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Rhode Island was caught in the wake of NYC, and I already spelled out to you why they had higher death rates than normal in those situations.

You can ignorantly drone on with propaganda, but I can tell you from first hand experience both personally and professionally that the virus is largely harmless. Now that it has become clear how incredibly low the mortality rate from this virus really is, we have spinsters trying to make people believe that those who get over the virus are somehow permanently damaged from it when that's far from the truth in 95+% of cases.

The vast, vast majority of people are either functionally immune to the virus meaning they'd be asymptomatic carriers, or they'll have incredibly mild and short lived symptoms. Sorry killer, that's the truth.
Oh, ok, so perhaps you could give me me a list who I should skip from the count. I guess in addition to the mentioned above, Mass., DC, Michigan, Illinois, etc. Lol.

You are n=1, that's all.

Death rates are lower now then in the beginning of the outbreak due to several factors:
1. Significantly better treatments and patient management, the disease is understood better, inflammation is controlled much better. Of course all of this is subject to hospitals having space and staff.
2. Younger crowd on average is getting infected, so obviously they would have lower mortality. But, they can still have lasting damage, and eventually they can transmit the virus to older groups.
3. Deaths lag hospitalizations by many weeks, with space people can be kept alive long time.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:09 AM

8,959 posts, read 2,566,804 times
Quote:
Oh, ok, so perhaps you could give me me a list who I should skip from the count. I guess in addition to the mentioned above, Mass., DC, Michigan, Illinois, etc. Lol.

You are n=1, that's all.

Death rates are lower now then in the beginning of the outbreak due to several factors:
1. Significantly better treatments and patient management, the disease is understood better, inflammation is controlled much better. Of course all of this is subject to hospitals having space and staff.
2. Younger crowd on average is getting infected, so obviously they would have lower mortality. But, they can still have lasting damage, and eventually they can transmit the virus to older groups.
3. Deaths lag hospitalizations by many weeks, with space people can be kept alive long time.
How about you just leave it to those who understand the dynamics at play in the northeastern US? If you don't understand why places like Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Massachusetts would be affected by NYC's poor handling of things, it's best if you just bow out gracefully.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
How about you just leave it to those who understand the dynamics at play in the northeastern US? If you don't understand why places like Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Massachusetts would be affected by NYC's poor handling of things, it's best if you just bow out gracefully.
Lol, I listed way more states than that. Is LA in the northeastern US nowadays?

Let me spell it out for you one more time: places like NYC were hit very hard and very early (at time when there was zero preparedness in the US in general, largely thanks to the botched federal response). Additionally, the basic virus reproduction number in NYC is by default much much higher (public transportation and density) than anywhere else in the US. So combine all of this and you have a disaster on your hands. In Italy, the situation was also underestimated in the beginning, combine that with ageing population, limited hospital base, lack of testing capability, etc.

I already told you why the death rates are lower at present.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:17 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,889,869 times
" I can tell you from first hand experience both personally and professionally that the virus is largely harmless"
Sure - but you yourself are defining what you perceive as "largely" and "harmless."
If you mean - not many people die, percentage-wise - true. But 100K is alot, regardless of percentage.
If you mean many people don't suffer serious symptoms - true. But we're not talking about those people - we're talking about the tiny percentage that need a hospital. A tiny percentage of a huge number is alot of people.
So if only 1% get sick, and only 1% need a bed - you can say, with a straight face, it's largely harmless.

And I can say, also, that 3 million are sick, and 30K need a hospital bed, and if that 30K is concentrated in a handful of states, THOSE states will be out of beds.
Ya see? Both things are true. It IS largely harmless - but the remaining tiny percent is a huge problem.

"Largely harmless" is about a thousand miles from "entirely harmless."

Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,122,695 times
Coronavirus is here to stay, and we will need to live with it. For the next few years, deaths will be higher, but afterwards the people vulnerable to it will be dead. This is the natural trajectory of every virus, why small pox killed so many Indians but was benign in Europeans. Death is natural and part of life. I rather take a chance than live with these restrictions.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Coronavirus is here to stay, and we will need to live with it. For the next few years, deaths will be higher, but afterwards the people vulnerable to it will be dead. This is the natural trajectory of every virus, why small pox killed so many Indians but was benign in Europeans. Death is natural and part of life. I rather take a chance than live with these restrictions.
Coronaviruses have been around since the start of mankind.
It is nothing new..... and you are right. Coronavirus is here to stay, as it always has been.

SARS COVID-1984 is just the same crap with a media twist to stir panic and chaos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies