Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 06:16 AM

15,841 posts, read 6,547,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Tinfoil hat time I see....
Yeah, we're going to need more tinfoil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 06:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I've been keeping track, almost since the Coronavirus panic started. Writing down the number of deaths every evening.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...w-coronavirus/

Here's a graph of what I've been getting from the Washington Post.

Remind me why we need to start shutting the country down again?

Who is asking for the country to shut down again?

I have seen communities choose to shut down specific businesses but that's not country wide.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:38 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
If anything, the lower death rate confirms that social distancing, wearing masks, and staying home works.

The spike in cases as a result of thinking this is over is a dangerous concept. We can not return to normal, open up too early, or gather in mass crowds lest we undo all of the work and sacrifice we all made in lock down.

Look at Arizona and Texas to see your future if we open up too soon and downplay the threat of this highly contagious SARS virus. Heck, look to the world and where they got this virus right vs how badly our country is doing. We are an embarrassment on the world stage, and now a pariah because we are banned from so many borders.

You can tout the temporary low death rate, but when cases spike, the death rate follows. We are heading to the danger zone of exponential growth with 50,000 cases a day that keeps increasing. Over 130,000 American's have died vs 7 in Taiwan. You do the math.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:40 AM

17,629 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
If anything, the lower death rate confirms that social distancing, wearing masks, and staying home works.

The spike in cases as a result of thinking this is over is a dangerous concept. We can not return to normal, open up too early, or gather in mass crowds lest we undo all of the work and sacrifice we all made in lock down.

Look at Arizona and Texas to see your future if we open up too soon and downplay the threat of this highly contagious SARS virus. Heck, look to the world and where they got this virus right vs how badly our country is doing. We are an embarrassment on the world stage, and now a pariah because we are banned from so many borders.

You can tout the temporary low death rate, but when cases spike, the death rate follows. We are heading to the danger zone of exponential growth with 50,000 cases a day that keeps increasing. Over 130,000 American's have died vs 7 in Taiwan. You do the math.
No, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling. Despite your fervent hope for further mass casualties, that isn't going to happen thanks to the Trump administration and Republican governors.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:54 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I've been keeping track, almost since the Coronavirus panic started. Writing down the number of deaths every evening.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...w-coronavirus/

Here's a graph of what I've been getting from the Washington Post.

Remind me why we need to start shutting the country down again?

The daily death toll has come down significantly since April, but has sort of leveled off recently. The 7-day moving average is 520 deaths per day. Which works out to 189,000 per year, so yeah I'd say we still have work to do.

The number of cases have been rising steeply. The fact that there hasn't been a concomitant increase in deaths may be due to a natural lag between becoming infected and dying, or to a larger proportion of infections going to younger people or some combination.

BTW, compare our 520 deaths per day to Italy's (18) or Japan's (1).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies