Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

This, according to the "Intersections Editor" of the Tulane Hullabaloo.

Quote:
Western business professionalism is rooted in white supremacy. The practice of professionalism is shaped to advance the careers of white, straight, married men. Black women have been fired just for coming to work in their natural hair. Arab people have been fired for speaking Arabic to their colleagues. Latina nurses have been fired for violating “professional conduct codes” when their white coworkers were not for doing the same thing.

From the minute nonwhite people begin their job applications to the last day at their jobs, their identities are under constant scrutiny, a scrutiny claiming to check for “business professionalism” but which really inspects for the employee’s adherence to whiteness.
If you want to know why some minorities -- i.e. the ones who actually adhere to this drivel -- will never succeed in any professional setting, you can read the rest of it here.

https://tulanehullabaloo.com/51652/i...ism-is-racist/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 09:38 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
That's what code-switching is.

And yes, in my experience, Black people code switch when in a professional environment. They talk differently, and behave differently when they're at home with their families or with their friends.

I saw a facebook post - it was funny - about how white people get to be white all day. Black people don't get to be black all day, they have to switch between being black and white to succeed.

The dialects and subtle behaviors are different. And it does seem it would be tiring to go back and forth.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:45 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And yes, in my experience, Black people code switch when in a professional environment. They talk differently, and behave differently when they're at home with their families or with their friends.
This is not exclusive to black people. Young white people certainly talk and behave and dress differently when they're hanging out with their friends than they do in a professional work environment. When one is getting paid to work in a professional work environment, one of the expectations is that the person will look and act professional. The article is saying that this is harder for black people to accomplish than white people -- which sounds racist to me.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:48 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
False. Go to a professional setting in any major city around the globe its the same professionalism.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:50 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,460 times
Quote:

I saw a facebook post - it was funny - about how white people get to be white all day. Black people don't get to be black all day, they have to switch between being black and white to succeed.

The dialects and subtle behaviors are different. And it does seem it would be tiring to go back and forth.
You're own privilege is showing.

As if there aren't white people who code-switch as well.

As typical of white liberals (especially ones in academia and media), you are projecting YOUR experience onto the whole of "white people."

Old 07-10-2020, 09:56 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This is not exclusive to black people. Young white people certainly talk and behave and dress differently when they're hanging out with their friends than they do in a professional work environment. When one is getting paid to work in a professional work environment, one of the expectations is that the person will look and act professional. The article is saying that this is harder for black people to accomplish than white people -- which sounds racist to me.
Good points all. I am 53 years old, and I have to code switch from my home self to my work self. Doubt my employer wants me wearing my Sex Pistols or Exploited t-shirts at work, but I wear them at home. Doubt my employer wants to hear my ingrained sailor dialect adopted from 10 years in the Navy, preferring instead the non-curse laden professionalism of standard office speak.

Everyone has a work self and a home self, at least successful people who like their careers and all that. It's a standard tool for navigating the corporate landscape. And it most certainly is not exclusive to non-white people. White people code switch ALL THE DAMN TIME.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:56 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Yeah let's destroy all White, Western culture in the US and replace it with non-white culture . How about people who hate and don't fit in with whites and white culture shut up or get out and be with people and culture they supposedly like and fit in better.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:58 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:

Everybody does that. Do you think we comment on the intern’s **** in the office?

Old 07-10-2020, 09:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
"Professional behavior" is dictated largely on traditional white behavior, and language.

Certainly, young white people may choose to speak more profanely or express opinions more freely when they're with their friends; but their rules of grammar don't change. They don't have to switch between dialects and accents, either.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah let's destroy all White, Western culture in the US and replace it with non-white culture . How about people who hate and don't fit in with whites and white culture shut up or get out and be with people and culture they supposedly like and fit in better.
No one is suggesting we wipe it out - but it's interesting to note it.

It's the same discussion about the way the two cultures name their children. Why is "LaQuesha" funnier than Kaighleigh or Nevaeh? Made up names are funny, regardless of whether it's white people or black people doing the creative lettering.

Just an observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies