Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 09:14 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times

Advertisements

Seem that now the pressing issue is black on black crime. And this unfortunately tells us how we're creatures of the moment. Pretending that black on black crime will always be an issue, while in reality it's a problem that will eventually solve itself. There was a time when the mafia had an insane amount of power, and was hyper violent. Today mafia violence is virtually unheard of. To the point where talks about it is basically modern American folklore.

Why and how does black on black crime exist?

We must first ask ourselves the foundation of black on black crime. The reasons are layered but it comes down to one thing. Perverse economic incentives. Meaning that there are economic incentives to keep this going on. And the reward in these communities is worth the risk.

First we must talk about economic censorship. The government has played an active role in censoring economic activity in the black community. So its virtually impossible to start small business there. Because banks won't loan to normal black people. But it does make lots of loans to foreigners. So black people don't really have economic control in these areas. This was fallout after the US government decided to run freeways through most black neighborhoods. Essentially killing black owned businesses overnight.

With economic censorship. We now get to the heart of these perverse incentives. The War On Drugs. Or we can can call this the Cradle To Prison pipeline.

The war on drugs was targeted towards black communities. This was to feed more blacks into the prison system. This leads to cheap labor for various manufacturers. And now this becomes a very good supply chain for the US economy.

So how will the issue be solved?

As we move deeper into the 21st century. We are seeing e en greater refinements to manufacturing. And as a result, AI and robots will soon replace cheap labor. The cradle to prison pipeline has less reason to really exist. And the War On Drugs will serve little purpose.

We are seeing it now, as more people are being pardoned. And law enforcement towards drugs is being relaxed. We will eventually see the legalization of all drugs. And a massive reduction of the black prison population.

However with drugs legalized, there is little perverse incentives. And with most new businesses being driven online, then more black people will be able to start businesses for cheaper. I also think with our national debt our banking system will become more lax. And probably remove restriction towards funding black owned businesses. This is due to the rising pressure from cryptocurrencies.

So in conclusion. Let's not be prisoners of the moment. Let's talk about the future not the present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 09:35 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Black on black crime will be a thing of the past when they stop being so racist towards each other and start taking personal responsibility for their own actions.

When you run with the dogs you are going to get bitten. It is only a matter of time and this goes for black and white young men that dabble in gang life and commit crimes.

When the economy was moving along before the corona virus the black community was enjoying the lowest unemployment numbers ever and millions were off welfare. I believe if given a choice people would rather be working for something instead of sitting around waiting for a hand out. One can still take pride in a job well done but this is all going to end if Biden wins and gives amnesty to millions of once illegal aliens that one given the all clear they will be working the jobs that have been traditionally held by black people. They will be pinched out of work because the route up in that industry is tough.

Of course drugs are a major problem in the black community both in addicts and the dealers. There is a lot of money to be made by dealing drugs and it contributes to ones thug street cred like holding down a regular job never could. The appeal is too great to the young guys to hang out and get paid Vs going to work.

The drugs trade and gang warfare is the number one reason black guys shoot other black guys and sometimes innocent bystanders are murdered by the stray bullets.

I don't agree with you that the Police crack down on black guys to keep the prison pipeline fed but those young guys are at fault for breaking the law.
Real change starts at home where the decision has to be made by each individual if they are going to perpetuate the negative stereotypes of black guys and break laws that will result in Police intervention or if they will move out and up no matter the discouragement they might receive from family and friends.

Dividing us between black and white as the Democrats are doing is not the answer but if a young black guy wants to succeed in America he needs to adhere to the white mans "rules" and ignore the static from his friends that he is a sellout, an uncle Tom..

The future is about lifting people up towards a common goal not allowing them to wallow in their perpetual victimhood where "whitey" gets the blame for everything.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:56 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Seem that now the pressing issue is black on black crime. And this unfortunately tells us how we're creatures of the moment. Pretending that black on black crime will always be an issue, while in reality it's a problem that will eventually solve itself. There was a time when the mafia had an insane amount of power, and was hyper violent. Today mafia violence is virtually unheard of. To the point where talks about it is basically modern American folklore.

Why and how does black on black crime exist?

We must first ask ourselves the foundation of black on black crime. The reasons are layered but it comes down to one thing. Perverse economic incentives. Meaning that there are economic incentives to keep this going on. And the reward in these communities is worth the risk.

First we must talk about economic censorship. The government has played an active role in censoring economic activity in the black community. So its virtually impossible to start small business there. Because banks won't loan to normal black people. But it does make lots of loans to foreigners. So black people don't really have economic control in these areas. This was fallout after the US government decided to run freeways through most black neighborhoods. Essentially killing black owned businesses overnight.

With economic censorship. We now get to the heart of these perverse incentives. The War On Drugs. Or we can can call this the Cradle To Prison pipeline.

The war on drugs was targeted towards black communities. This was to feed more blacks into the prison system. This leads to cheap labor for various manufacturers. And now this becomes a very good supply chain for the US economy.

So how will the issue be solved?

As we move deeper into the 21st century. We are seeing e en greater refinements to manufacturing. And as a result, AI and robots will soon replace cheap labor. The cradle to prison pipeline has less reason to really exist. And the War On Drugs will serve little purpose.

We are seeing it now, as more people are being pardoned. And law enforcement towards drugs is being relaxed. We will eventually see the legalization of all drugs. And a massive reduction of the black prison population.

However with drugs legalized, there is little perverse incentives. And with most new businesses being driven online, then more black people will be able to start businesses for cheaper. I also think with our national debt our banking system will become more lax. And probably remove restriction towards funding black owned businesses. This is due to the rising pressure from cryptocurrencies.

So in conclusion. Let's not be prisoners of the moment. Let's talk about the future not the present.
OK, four points:

1) Re your remark that government is censoring economic activity in poor black neighborhoods: it's just the opposite. President Trump instituted the "Opportunity Zone" business loan program to encourage development in those neighborhoods by giving special incentives to those who do.

2) Your entire post is blaming racism for black-on-black crime (the government censorship you claim exists) and nowhere is there any self-reflection on how blacks themselves can help ferret out crime. I have pointed out, and of course been raked over the coals by liberals for it, that the root of the problem (or, at a minimum, a MAJOR contributing factor) is the extraordinarily high out-of-wedlock birthrate. Young women having children they cannot afford, and without the economic involvement of a husband, leads to poverty. No getting around it: single parent households have much higher rates of poverty. And higher rates of poverty correlate to lower educational attainment AND higher crime rates. Yet what I hear you saying in your post is that whites (via racism) are responsible for black-on-black crime. Time to at least admit that some of the behavior patterns (high OOW rate in particular) does indeed play a major role in high crime rates.

3) While your post focuses on what you believe the government has done to hurt blacks, you fail to at least acknowledge a MAJOR program that helps blacks: affirmative action by which blacks with lower grades/scores get in ahead of whites. Add to that the Pell Grant program, which low-income blacks can take advantage of to get at least some solid career training - free-of-charge - paid for by taxpayers.

4) Finally, you neglect to mention the white people who are indeed doing something - be it working with blacks who are financially illiterate to help with budgeting, or volunteering to prep black students for the GED - and this should be known to black people who complain about whites doing nothing. Many are doing their part to help, on an individual basis, and you know of at least one such person.

P.S. I am heading out and won't be able to immediately respond. I will be back later this afternoon.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:07 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:

Biden.

Joe Biden: The Architect of America’s Disastrous War on Drugs

Perhaps the most egregious of Biden’s transgressions is the role he played in the creation of the 100-to-1 sentencing disparity between crack and powder cocaine. As the country panicked over the “crack†epidemic, legislators set out to dole out harsher punishments to those found guilty of selling the substance.

The Anti-Drug Abuse Act, which was written at least partially by Biden, changed the law so that those caught with a mere five grams of crack cocaine were subject to the same mandatory minimum as those caught with 500 grams of powdered cocaine. The application of this law disproportionately harmed African-American communities and contributed to mass incarceration.

In 2003, Biden sponsored the Reducing Americans' Vulnerability to Ecstasy Act (RAVE Act), which altered existing legislation known as the “crackhouse law.†The RAVE Act made it legal for prosecutors to go after club owners and promoters if drugs are found on their property. The law effectively allowed the club owners to be tried as if they were running a crackhouse (hence the original name). However, while Biden maintained a “tough on crime†attitude with the rest of the country, his own children were being spared any punishments for their drug crimes.

In 1998, Biden’s daughter Ashley was arrested for cannabis possession in Louisiana. While others arrested for the same offense faced sentences sometimes spanning decades, Ashley Biden was never convicted of any drug-related crime. In 2014, Hunter Biden was discharged from the Navy after testing positive for cocaine. Like his daughter, no charges were ever filed against Biden’s son.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:16 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
OK, four points:

1) Re your remark that government is censoring economic activity in poor black neighborhoods: it's just the opposite. President Trump instituted the "Opportunity Zone" business loan program to encourage development in those neighborhoods by giving special incentives to those who do.

2) Your entire post is blaming racism for black-on-black crime (the government censorship you claim exists) and nowhere is there any self-reflection on how blacks themselves can help ferret out crime. I have pointed out, and of course been raked over the coals by liberals for it, that the root of the problem (or, at a minimum, a MAJOR contributing factor) is the extraordinarily high out-of-wedlock birthrate. Young women having children they cannot afford, and without the economic involvement of a husband, leads to poverty. No getting around it: single parent households have much higher rates of poverty. And higher rates of poverty correlate to lower educational attainment AND higher crime rates. Yet what I hear you saying in your post is that whites (via racism) are responsible for black-on-black crime. Time to at least admit that some of the behavior patterns (high OOW rate in particular) does indeed play a major role in high crime rates.

3) While your post focuses on what you believe the government has done to hurt blacks, you fail to at least acknowledge a MAJOR program that helps blacks: affirmative action by which blacks with lower grades/scores get in ahead of whites. Add to that the Pell Grant program, which low-income blacks can take advantage of to get at least some solid career training - free-of-charge - paid for by taxpayers.

4) Finally, you neglect to mention the white people who are indeed doing something - be it working with blacks who are financially illiterate to help with budgeting, or volunteering to prep black students for the GED - and this should be known to black people who complain about whites doing nothing. Many are doing their part to help, on an individual basis, and you know of at least one such person.

P.S. I am heading out and won't be able to immediately respond. I will be back later this afternoon.
Sadly, Trump has managed to lie about his "opportunity zones" by exaggerating the amount of capital they have put into it. He continues to claim they've put 100 billion into the program. Most estimates are 10-30 billion.

100 billion is actually their GOAL. Not the amount they have actually infused into the opportunity zones.

He should be applauded for the program and chastised for the lying about it.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:18 AM

Hold on. I dont want to make this a republican vs Democrat thing. Or a Trump thing. I just want people to address the points I made. We should be able to have a discussion without making it partisan.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
I agree, and the key to making their neighborhood safer is leadership within the community.

Awhile ago, there was a local movement by black grandmothers, "This is My Neighborhood, These are My Kids" and it worked, or at the very least, ran the crime out of that neighborhood and maybe into a nearby commercial district instead.

There was a local news story covering it, this woman maybe in her 60's, standing in her yard yelling at these young black men sitting in a car. "You get on out of here, ya hear? This is MY neighborhood, look at those kids playing over there, you take your drugs and whatever else you're doing and get out! Now!" And they did, too. Young black men seem to revere older black women. They had this expression, uh oh, we better git on their faces.

That's what every successful movement takes. The leadership has to come from within.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:24 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
I think the "economic censorship" concept you proposed is difficulty to discuss because as Rachel correctly points out, they are actually raising capital to put into black neighborhoods right now.

Do you not think this outside investment is helpful or does the money have to be loaned to black people in that area to be legit.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:27 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Hold on. I dont want to make this a republican vs Democrat thing. Or a Trump thing. I just want people to address the points I made. We should be able to have a discussion without making it partisan.
Fair.

#1 - Have the self-control to not create single parent households. This is the number one factor by far IMO.

#2 - We have an over-abundance of males, and a shortage of men. Probably caused by #1.

The family is the basic building block of any community. Even in adverse economic conditions, with two parents that have the commitment to each other and the kids they produce - it can keep their kids in line and on the right path.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think the "economic censorship" concept you proposed is difficulty to discuss because as Rachel correctly points out, they are actually raising capital to put into black neighborhoods right now.

Do you not think this outside investment is helpful or does the money have to be loaned to black people in that area to be legit.
I'm talking about 50 years ago. Not incentives that were started recently. And even then the War On Drugs will still keep these neighborhoods poor.

I'm more about market solutions. Government programs don't help. What they do is reward people willing to jump through hoops to get government resources. The market rewards people with great ideas.

The issue is capital. And black communities have historically been starved in terms of capital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies