Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 08:08 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,452,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Does it not dawn on these leftists that tens of millions of would be minorities wouldn’t flee to a place in order to be oppressed? The irony is that they are fleeing actually oppression(totalitarianism, widespread corruption, religious persecution, terrorism, gangs, etc). As Tucker would say why would you want your country run by people who hate it?
Have you personally met or spoken with members of the Somali population? This hasn’t been my experience at all. My neighbors and those of which I have interacted with have been very gracious and jovial. They fill many traditionally blue color jobs in the city - taxi drivers, housekeeping, custodial, etc. Most seem very family oriented. I’ve seen the positive impact they have had on my city. Keep watching your FoxNews though. It seems like it’s very beneficial for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 08:10 PM

31,359 posts, read 22,346,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Have you personally met or spoken with members of the Somali population? This hasn’t been my experience at all. My neighbors and those of which I have interacted with have been very gracious and jovial.
I'm sure they have and are, but Ilhan is their face now.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:11 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,320,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Are you basing this off feelings? The data supports that crime (across all major categories) peaked in the mid-90s and has decreased significantly since then. Since I’ve been living in South Minneapolis the neighborhoods have improved with the construction of the two light rail lines, the redevelopment of the Midtown Global Market and Midtown Greenway. Where there was previously blight and empty parking lots there are now farmers markets, community gardens, breweries, coffee shops, co-ops. Abandoned factories and warehouses have been converted to condos and apartments. Some call it gentrification and I would agree. I’ve lived through this transformation.

Back in 2008 in our old neighborhood there was a child prostitution ring taking place a block away and drug deals taking place on the corner. My car was broken into multiple times and my garage got tagged with gang graffiti. Since then the area improved and the homes doubled in value. Thanks gentrification. Northeast and uptown have also gone through heavy gentrification in the last few decades. In my mind it isn’t even debatable that the city is better now than it was in the 90’s.
Again, I'm grateful that MPLS is doing great and doesn't need Federal help.

Now, that anti-gentrifying (aka "displacing poor people with bad cop encounters") may not be on your side, but us capitalists are!

Old 07-14-2020, 08:19 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,452,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Again, I'm grateful that MPLS is doing great and doesn't need Federal help.

Now, that anti-gentrifying (aka "displacing poor people with bad cop encounters") may not be on your side, but us capitalists are!
Thanks for the kind words sir. If I ever end up relocating to Raleigh I’ll be sure to solicit your real estate services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies