Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2020, 01:16 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,676,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Thank-you Matadora. I do agree that I'm a person with integrity, and thanks for the compliment.
It's not rocket science. Cover your face and your droplets travel less far, end up on your hand when you cough into your hand. A mask is simply a stronger block. Weren't we all, as socially conscious children, taught to cover our mouths when we sneeze or cough? This long before masks and covid.
The deniers are simply making noise. They know as we all know, that blocking the path of viruses spreading can be helped simply by covering your mouth and staying distanced from other people. We all know from when we were children to stay away from other people that are sick, the problem with covid is that the worst spreaders could be people with zero symptoms. The good thing about masks instead of hands is both the practical-such as we can't shop for groceries with one hand over our mouths, and that they are more effective, especially when we then use that same hand we sneezed into to touch what will end up as groceries in somebody else's kitchen.
I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes. Smoked in restaurants and bars and anywhere and everywhere. Bet some of these same mask-deniers would be extremely offended if I blew smoke in their face. Well same goes for blowing covid in mine.
I'm tired of the deniers. They are exhausting selfish brats with baseless arguments.
This.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:22 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Everytime I see someone in my grocery store without a mask I give them a hard time and get management involved and complain about these selfish brats. And I'll never stop.

You will be very disappointed when nothing happens and you will basically be ignored.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:02 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
You will be very disappointed when nothing happens and you will basically be ignored.
Except you're wrong.
I've gotten people kicked out of the grocery store.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:12 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Except you're wrong.
I've gotten people kicked out of the grocery store.

I have done shopping with someone making same type of noise and nothing happened. I have posted photo here before of someone in USPS with no mask and nothing happened. In fact that person got services. You're welcome to continue making smoke that somehow people should give up their freedom to make other people feel safe, eventually everyone will ignore it.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:17 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Bandanas and neck gaitors actually increase the risk of transmission because they break up the large droplets into tiny droplets. The droplets, then, remained suspended instead of just falling to the ground. In NC, where there are very strict mandates in place, rarely will I see someone without a mask. I would guess 99% mask compliance based on my personal observation. A lot of the mask I see are neck gaitors and bandanas. Based on the science of those two types of "mask" it explains why the confirmed positive numbers have continued to rise since the implication of mask mandate.

Sorry, the science has failed to slow down the spread in NC.

"Gaiters, which are known for being made of fleece, were found to release a lot of little particles from the wearer and created more tiny droplets than speaking without a mask. “This mask breaking down big droplets into you, multiple little droplets,” said Fisher. “These little droplets could be problematic because they have an easier time being carried away by air. So they might travel for the distance as opposed to just dropping down to the floor. So this was problematic.”

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/w...orked-72285844
https://advances.sciencemag.org/cont...d3083.full.pdf
NC is one of those southern states that doesn't enforce the mask mandate after the very late executive order to mandate it. Unlike the northeastern states, they've been complacent in the South and Midwest because it took longer for the pandemic to spread to those states as they were outside the early lockdown regions. There's both the lack of compliance by people and lack of enforcement by authorities.

Gaiters and bandanas are irrelevant to the topic of why the virus is spreading. Most people wear the store-bought masks or made their own cloth masks. Wearing masks will eventually fail if you tempt fate and repeatedly go into crowded situations or knowingly come into close contact with an infected individual (see yesterdays' CDC warning). We've seen a lot of that as the schools reopened, Covid parties were held, and the infections in those states took off.

Chris Christie has written an op-ed piece on masks, I Should Have Worn a Mask.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-shoul...sk-11603315968

Trump and other candidates should be forced to divest themselves of businesses and other interests that bring them into conflicts of interest. As an owner of hotels and resorts that cater to international travelers, he clearly could not be counted on to make rational choices in the best interest of the public when it posed a risk to his businesses.

"By contrast, the U.S. has not closed its borders or mandated a quarantine period for incoming foreign travelers, and public officials now face greater pressure from people eager to reopen businesses and schools as the pandemic reaches its seventh month."

link

Last edited by lchoro; 10-22-2020 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-22-2020, 03:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I have done shopping with someone making same type of noise and nothing happened. I have posted photo here before of someone in USPS with no mask and nothing happened. In fact that person got services. You're welcome to continue making smoke that somehow people should give up their freedom to make other people feel safe, eventually everyone will ignore it.

Yeah, my usual USPS letter carrier NEVER wears a mask, and she comes up to the door, hands me packages and we chat for a couple of minutes, and believe it or not, neither of us is dead yet!

Old 10-22-2020, 03:30 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
An article on why masks don't work:
The Mask and Social Distancing Myth for Covid-19
- by James Sloane (2020)- Can be feely shared for non-commercial purposes only.
This looks like more non-credible junk.

Post the link so we can see the source.
Quote:
1. RESPIRATORY PROTECTION PROVIDED BY N95 FILTERING FACEPIECE RESPIRATORS AGAINST AIRBORNE DUST AND MICROORGANISMS IN AGRICULTURAL FARMS
You can't be serious here. The N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirator is not the recommended mask to protect against viruses. Geez it's scary how misinformed people really are.

The types of N95 recommended for virus protection are the following: A surgical N95 respirator is a NIOSH-approved N95 respirator that has also been cleared by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a surgical mask
Quote:
2. THE EFFICACY OF MEDICAL MASKS AND RESPIRATORS AGAINST RESPIRATORY INFECTION IN HEALTHCARE WORKERS HTTPS://ONLINELIBRARY.WILEY.COM/DOI/...1111/IRV.12474
The Conclusion to the above paper:

Conclusion: The results suggest that the classification of infections into droplet versus airborne transmission is an oversimplification. Most guidelines recommend masks for infections spread by droplets. N95 respirators, as "airborne precautions," provide superior protection for droplet-transmitted infections. To ensure the occupational health and safety of healthcare worker, the superiority of respirators in preventing respiratory infections should be reflected in infection control guidelines.
Quote:
3. EVALUATION OF THE RATIONALE FOR CONCURRENT USE OF N95 FILTERING FACEPIECE RESPIRATORS WITH LOOSE-FITTING POWERED AIR-PURIFYING RESPIRATORS DURING AEROSOL-GENERATING MEDICAL PROCEDURES
HTTPS://WWW.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV/PMC/ARTICLES/PMC7115289/
The Conclusion of this study.

Conclusion
HCWs treating patients infected with severe respiratory pathogens have every right to be concerned about their own safety. In crisis situations such as the SARS outbreaks, where failure to undertake precautions can be disastrous, early recommendations are often made without the benefit of reliable scientific information, and this is understandable. In such situations, as Nicas31 has suggested, if risk assumptions are not well defined, HCWs should use their best judgment. Ultimately, however, the choice of appropriate PPE should be based not on fears, but on solid science.18 Although the use of an N95FFR/PAPR in providing greater respiratory protection over that of PAPR alone is intuitively rational based only on APFs, this remains unproven, and the additional negative impact of this combination upon the user should not be discounted. When an N95FFR/PAPR is used for short-duration procedures (eg, endotracheal intubation, airway suctioning, etc), the presumptive added respiratory protective benefit of the N95FFR may be so nominal as to be offset by its negative impact on the personal performance of the wearer and the risk of self-contamination or dissemination of pathogens to nearby HCWs or patients. Providing accurate information to HCWs and hospital respiratory protection program managers regarding the optimal respiratory protective equipment to employ when faced with outbreaks of severe respiratory pathogens will require additional research. Studies addressing the potential penetration of intra-PAPR pathogens through concurrently used N95FFR are needed. Ultimately, a balance must be struck between optimal protection and optimal personal performance issues for HCW.
Quote:
4. EFFECTS OF SURGICAL AND FFP2/N95 FACE MASKS ON CARDIOPULMONARY EXERCISE CAPACITY HTTPS://LINK.SPRINGER.COM/ARTICLE/10...92-020-01704-Y
This study was only looking at the effect of wearing a surgical and a FFP2/N95 face mask on cardiopulmonary exercise capacity. So don't work out while wearing a mask. Is that so difficult to understand?
Quote:
5. RESPIRATORY CONSEQUENCES OF N95-TYPE MASK USAGE IN PREGNANT HEALTHCARE WORKERS-A CONTROLLED CLINICAL STUDY HTTPS://WWW.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV/PMC/ARTICLES/PMC4647822/
Nothng here says an N95 is ineffective. Makes sense that certain healthcare workers will experience some respiratory issues...especially those who are pregnant. Seems like common sense to me. *shrug*

In the Abstract it states: The respiratory effects of prolonged respirator use on pregnant women are unclear although there has been no definite evidence of harm from past use.

Again the Conclusion of the study: The benefits of using N95 mask to prevent serious emerging infectious diseases should be weighed against potential respiratory consequences associated with extended N95 respirator usage.
Quote:
6. PHYSIOLOGICAL IMPACT OF THE N95 FILTERING FACEPIECE RESPIRATOR ON HEALTHCARE WORKERS HTTP://RC.RCJOURNAL.COM/CONTENT/55/5/569.SHORT
This time lets look at the Method, Results and Conclusions of the study

Methods: Ten healthcare workers each conducted multiple 1-hour treadmill walking sessions, at 1.7 miles/h, and at 2.5 miles/h, while wearing FFR with exhalation valve, FFR without exhalation valve, and without FFR (control session). We monitored heart rate, respiratory rate, tidal volume, minute volume, blood oxygen saturation, and transcutaneously measured P(CO2). We also measured user comfort and exertion, FFR moisture retention, and the carbon dioxide and oxygen concentrations in the FFR's dead space.

Results: There were no significant differences between FFR and control in the physiological variables, exertion scores, or comfort scores. There was no significant difference in moisture retention between FFR with and without exhalation valve. Two subjects had peak P(CO2) > or = 50 mm Hg. The FFR with exhalation valve offered no benefit in physiological burden over the FFR without valve. The FFR dead-space oxygen and carbon dioxide levels did not meet the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's ambient workplace standards.

Conclusions: In healthy healthcare workers, FFR did not impose any important physiological burden during 1 hour of use, at realistic clinical work rates, but the FFR dead-space carbon dioxide and oxygen levels were significantly above and below, respectively, the ambient workplace standards, and elevated P(CO2) is a possibility. Exhalation valve did not significantly ameliorate the FFR's P(CO2) impact.

So what's your point here?
Quote:
7. HEADACHES AND THE N95 FACE‐MASK AMONGST HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS HTTPS://WWW.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV/PMC/ARTICLES/PMC7159726/
Here we we go again.

Conclusions: Healthcare providers may develop headaches following the use of the N95 face-mask. Shorter duration of face-mask wear may reduce the frequency and severity of these headaches.

Why is this be surprising to you? Healthcare workers are wearing masks for 8-10 hours while at work.

Last edited by Matadora; 10-22-2020 at 04:10 PM..

Old 10-22-2020, 04:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Masks are dumb because no one uses them properly. They constantly touch things where droplets may have landed, then touch mask.. Shove mask in pocket or where ever, re use them. THAT is the issue with masks.

I feel bad for those who completely ignore the effectiveness of masks in certain situations, like surgery. PROPER mask use is effective and necessary.

Expecting the public to fit, and use masks properly is ridiculous. But, it does help prevent droplets flying into your mouth/eyes from others.

Don't say I never take the opposing argument on issues.

Good God! That meme ticks me off!

Old 10-22-2020, 06:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
It's not rocket science. Cover your face and your droplets travel less far, end up on your hand when you cough into your hand. A mask is simply a stronger block. Weren't we all, as socially conscious children, taught to cover our mouths when we sneeze or cough?

I'm tired of the deniers. They are exhausting selfish brats with baseless arguments.
Exactly correct. Yes, I was taught as a child to cover my sneeze or cough. Now that I'm an adult I don't need a governor to tell me to wear a mask to cover my sneeze or cough like I'm a child. I do just fine covering my sneeze or cough without a mask.

Not a denier here. Definitely believe mask work. All my life I've been socially-distancing because majority of people I encounter have no personal hygiene and can't cover the sneeze or cough. Luckily with the mask mandate I don't have that issue anymore. Finally a muzzle has been installed on all the nasty puppets. Meanwhile, I walk around so everyone can see my grin and know how pleased I am with our conforming society.

Search "Three Red Banners". Enjoy.
Nevermind, I'll do it for you.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Three-Red-Banners
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Red_Banners
https://citizenmedianews.com/2020/10...e-red-banners/

Old 10-22-2020, 07:32 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Curious when the weather starts getting really cold, and the mask wearers are walking around with their masks on, what are they going to think when they see their breath blow right out of that mask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies