Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2020, 02:43 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I suppose they give out the information that the know at the time, till they find out more facts and then they change it.

I am really grieving for the loss that their misinformation has cost many people - businesses lost, etc, some will never be able to open again, because some "scientific" idea caused them to have to shut down and such like that.

and i imagine that if 'science" keeps changing, a lot of what people are being hassled about today, and sometimes getting arrested or threatened to get arrested, but mostly hasstled, if they find out that it is not true what they are getting in trouble for, wouldnt' that be a shame? all for nothing.

I'm fortunate that I've been only merely inconvenienced, but some have suffered more serious blows because of the stupid "science" that keeps changing.
It's not the science that has changed. It's our knowledge of the science that has changed. The virus has always been what it has been. Unfortunately, we've had to learn as we go on how to deal with it.

I think the science is pretty clear now that masks, social distancing and avoiding crowds are important ways to help mitigate its spread.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:22 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It's not the science that has changed. It's our knowledge of the science that has changed. The virus has always been what it has been. Unfortunately, we've had to learn as we go on how to deal with it.

I think the science is pretty clear now that masks, social distancing and avoiding crowds are important ways to help mitigate its spread.
No, its pretty clear that masks' benefits according to science are unclear. In fact, the only science in favor of masks are ones testing their efficiency in a lab, nothing in the real world. Everything else is pure anecdote and has nothing to do with science.

Distancing (not necessarily what specific distance) and avoiding crowds have always been clear.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No, its pretty clear that masks' benefits according to science are unclear. In fact, the only science in favor of masks are ones testing their efficiency in a lab, nothing in the real world. Everything else is pure anecdote and has nothing to do with science.

Distancing (not necessarily what specific distance) and avoiding crowds have always been clear.
This science and research appears clear on the subject:
https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...uidelines.html
https://www.wsj.com/articles/face-ma...ng-11595083298
https://www.uchealth.org/today/wear-...upports-masks/

Old 08-17-2020, 04:19 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post

Your post is so reasonable! i agree that those seem to be things that help the most.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:49 PM
bu2

The key quote in the last article:

"...No less an authority than University of Minnesota epidemiologist Michael Osterholm said in June: “The messaging that dominates our COVID-19 discussions right now makes it seem that, if we are wearing cloth masks, you’re not going to infect me and I’m not going to infect you. I worry that many people highly vulnerable to life-threatening COVID-19 will hear this message and make decisions that they otherwise wouldn’t have made about distancing because of an unproven sense of cloth-mask security. Distancing remains the most important risk reduction action we can take...."”

And the rest in that article really say nothing more than, well a cloth mask is better than nothing. There's no doubt N95s are useful, otherwise surgeons wouldn't wear them. But almost noone is wearing them because the supply is so limited.

The first article is basically an interview. The one study link in the article didn't work.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:54 PM
bu2

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/87120

"...The media will have you believe that EVERYONE should wear a mask at all times -- what exactly are they basing this recommendation on? The truth is, the evidence is shaky at best....

Another study from Texas A&M published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences concluded that masks were essential in curbing the spread, but the study was not designed to draw these conclusions...-- it simply studied how viral particles were spread and extrapolated that the masks would be effective. So no real proof. There was no direct comparison or any real experiment using masks to prevent COVID-19 performed so that evidence -- again -- is shaky at best.

Currently, I believe that the media is using masking as a political prop and ultimately it is a reflexive reaction to anxiety and fear over the pandemic....

If you are otherwise healthy and are not high risk, there is no evidence at this point that by wearing a mask you will decrease the chance of getting COVID-19 -- simply running to the grocery store or the gas station is not a reason to wear a mask.

If you are golfing, playing tennis, exercising, riding a bike, etc. -- there is no need to wear a mask.

If you are driving alone in your car, there is no need to wear a mask.

Simply put, use common sense. Do not let the media and politicians use masking as a way to fear monger and intimidate. Masking has its role, but its greatest benefits are in the healthcare setting. Random masking is a waste of resources and may limit the ability of those who really need PPE to obtain them.

We have to stop using flawed data and bad science to make decisions. Politicians are leveraging data that they do not understand in an effort to set policy and advance their own political agendas. For example, in North Carolina, Governor Roy Cooper continues to keep the state on lockdown long beyond what neighboring states have done and is now threatening to mandate masks for any citizen who goes out in public in what appears to be another gubernatorial power grab in that state.

It's time we stopped allowing politics and fear to dictate science -- science and data should dictate good politics and public policy instead."

Old 08-17-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
The key quote in the last article:

"...No less an authority than University of Minnesota epidemiologist Michael Osterholm said in June: “The messaging that dominates our COVID-19 discussions right now makes it seem that, if we are wearing cloth masks, you’re not going to infect me and I’m not going to infect you. I worry that many people highly vulnerable to life-threatening COVID-19 will hear this message and make decisions that they otherwise wouldn’t have made about distancing because of an unproven sense of cloth-mask security. Distancing remains the most important risk reduction action we can take...."”

And the rest in that article really say nothing more than, well a cloth mask is better than nothing. There's no doubt N95s are useful, otherwise surgeons wouldn't wear them. But almost noone is wearing them because the supply is so limited.

The first article is basically an interview. The one study link in the article didn't work.
I think the science is pretty much clear that you need both. I don't think the majority of folks would disagree. Even governors who were initially opposed to masks, like GA's Kemp, now realize the importance of them. The majority of states, red and blue, realize their importance. I will do everything I can to mitigate the effects of this virus including masks, social distancing and avoiding crowds. Rather be too cautious than not cautious enough. This is not something I want to get.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/87120

"...The media will have you believe that EVERYONE should wear a mask at all times -- what exactly are they basing this recommendation on? The truth is, the evidence is shaky at best....

Another study from Texas A&M published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences concluded that masks were essential in curbing the spread, but the study was not designed to draw these conclusions...-- it simply studied how viral particles were spread and extrapolated that the masks would be effective. So no real proof. There was no direct comparison or any real experiment using masks to prevent COVID-19 performed so that evidence -- again -- is shaky at best.

Currently, I believe that the media is using masking as a political prop and ultimately it is a reflexive reaction to anxiety and fear over the pandemic....

If you are otherwise healthy and are not high risk, there is no evidence at this point that by wearing a mask you will decrease the chance of getting COVID-19 -- simply running to the grocery store or the gas station is not a reason to wear a mask.

If you are golfing, playing tennis, exercising, riding a bike, etc. -- there is no need to wear a mask.

If you are driving alone in your car, there is no need to wear a mask.

Simply put, use common sense. Do not let the media and politicians use masking as a way to fear monger and intimidate. Masking has its role, but its greatest benefits are in the healthcare setting. Random masking is a waste of resources and may limit the ability of those who really need PPE to obtain them.

We have to stop using flawed data and bad science to make decisions. Politicians are leveraging data that they do not understand in an effort to set policy and advance their own political agendas. For example, in North Carolina, Governor Roy Cooper continues to keep the state on lockdown long beyond what neighboring states have done and is now threatening to mandate masks for any citizen who goes out in public in what appears to be another gubernatorial power grab in that state.

It's time we stopped allowing politics and fear to dictate science -- science and data should dictate good politics and public policy instead."
I don't wear a mask in my car. I don't wear a mask when walking or hiking. I wear a mask when I'm going to be around people indoors. Most people I know do the same. My SIL is in CO which has a mask mandate with a $500 fine attached. She says 40% or more of the people at any given time aren't wearing masks. So even some places with mandates and fines aren't enforcing their own rules.

Until we do all we can to help stop the spread of Covid, including wearing masks, social distancing and avoiding crowds, we can come on City Data all day every day and discuss how it's too egregious, unsustainable, etc., but that won't stop Covid from doing what it does. Covid is looking for hosts, and until it doesn't have them, it will continue to spread through the population. Covid isn't political and doesn't have an agenda except to keep itself alive.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:00 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
The ADA does not currently exempt the wearing (or not wearing) of respiratory masks.
(https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/depar...face-masks-and)

Any business, that has a policy in place that customers (or employees) have to wear a mask, must make a reasonable accommodation for that customer (or employee) when they present a verifiable exemption from the mask.
Key words:
VERIFIABLE. A card that you printed saying "I can't wear a mask 'cuz feelings" is not acceptable.
(https://www.ada.gov/covid-19_flyer_alert.html)
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION. Curb-side pick up meets that definition.
Thank you. I was getting ready to respond to that poster, but you covered what I was going to say.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:34 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,033,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
The ADA does not currently exempt the wearing (or not wearing) of respiratory masks.
(https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/depar...face-masks-and)

Any business, that has a policy in place that customers (or employees) have to wear a mask, must make a reasonable accommodation for that customer (or employee) when they present a verifiable exemption from the mask.
Key words:
VERIFIABLE. A card that you printed saying "I can't wear a mask 'cuz feelings" is not acceptable.
(https://www.ada.gov/covid-19_flyer_alert.html)
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION. Curb-side pick up meets that definition.
Yeah, good luck with that. Someone says they have a legit reason for not wearing mask, store refuses to let them in, person then sues store and wins for discrimination. Sounds good to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies