Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 06:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Left are the Bullies, and control freaks. That's who is requiring team name changes, tearing down history, demanding and implementing economic crashing lock downs, calling all Americans Racist, Indoctrinating Kids, and removing whatever they don't like from society. It must be stopped, NOW.
Fascinating how some equate protecting public health with bullying, etc.

I really wish someone would/could explain this rationally without the rants.
From the OP to Ingraham to the rest.
All anyone should want is for people to not suffer and die.
Why is anything geared toward that effort looked on with such suspicion?

You and others claim that you don’t want further shutdowns and yet you refuse to do the simplest thing to reduce the risk of that happening again.
Why?

Seriously, why?

Old 07-17-2020, 06:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Don't bother trying to talk some sense into some folks.

THE LOCKDOWN HAS TURNED FEAR INTO A VIRTUE. Those who are afraid believe they're better people than those who aren't, and will subconsciously look for ways to multiply that fear, because it's their virtue.
What lockdown?

There was no lockdown in the US. People, including those who test positive, are free to leave their homes and go about their business. We have been free to travel.

Unlike some other countries, LE did not patrol the streets and apprehend people not authorized to be outside their home. No one needed permission to leave and buy groceries or much of anything else.

Despite the unemployment numbers, most employed people continued to be employed and compensated.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:26 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I suggested that there are Trump supporters posting drivel in this thread. I did not suggest that they are the only conservatives posting drivel in this thread.
So, if one doesn't tow the party line on Covid he or she must be a conservative? No other option?

To this day there aren't any peer reviewed studies supporting mask wearing, especially homemade cloth masks that prevent one from getting Covid-19. There's a study (non peer reviewed) by Howard et al. that argues for effectiveness of masks.....except the study is not an actual study. The authors claim so with this little excerpt: Cochrane (7) and the
World Health Organization (8) both point out that for population health measures we should not generally expect to
be able to find controlled trials, due to logistical and ethical
reasons, and should therefore instead seek a wider evidence
base

In other words, when we can't actually perform real science, this will do. It's amazing how standards are lowered across the board for Covid, and only Covid virus.

I don't have problem with science, I have problem with half-ass science.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Just another way for the weak minded to virtue signal they are Woke. Total Media hype. It's like the shoulder pad fad for women in the 80's except Feminized men also believe this crap.
Masks are common in many Asian countries, especially those countries with better outcomes.

Seems to me real men seek to protect others.

Children trend to think only about themselves.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:34 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Fascinating how some equate protecting public health with bullying, etc.

I really wish someone would/could explain this rationally without the rants.
From the OP to Ingraham to the rest.
All anyone should want is for people to not suffer and die.
Why is anything geared toward that effort looked on with such suspicion?

You and others claim that you don’t want further shutdowns and yet you refuse to do the simplest thing to reduce the risk of that happening again.
Why?

Seriously, why?
Public health argument can be made for number of reasons. Would you like government to tell you who you can marry? Divorce puts a huge strain on the the health of others. How about how many kids you can have? Food you can eat? 20% of this country is obese. Towns and neighborhoods you can live in? Schools you can send your kids to? And so on and so on.

This has nothing to do with public health. Ton of Americans die and many more are hospitalized each year with serious long-term health consequences. Yet somehow we've decided the trade offs we make each year in order to have a free and open society don't apply to Covid.

Once we have a non-political, reasoned conversation about this tradeoff, then we can solve this problem. Until then, this is all smoke and mirrors.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
So, if one doesn't tow the party line on Covid he or she must be a conservative? No other option?

To this day there aren't any peer reviewed studies supporting mask wearing, especially homemade cloth masks that prevent one from getting Covid-19. There's a study (non peer reviewed) by Howard et al. that argues for effectiveness of masks.....except the study is not an actual study. The authors claim so with this little excerpt: Cochrane (7) and the
World Health Organization (8) both point out that for population health measures we should not generally expect to
be able to find controlled trials, due to logistical and ethical
reasons, and should therefore instead seek a wider evidence
base

In other words, when we can't actually perform real science, this will do. It's amazing how standards are lowered across the board for Covid, and only Covid virus.

I don't have problem with science, I have problem with half-ass science.
Peer-reviewed or no, countries with a higher incidence of mask-wearing have far fewer cases.

At some point, data that may be believable to you will be available.
In the meantime, that fact and the following are sufficient for me, particularly since wearing a mask is cheap, easy and non-invasive.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0612172200.htm

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...142-9/fulltext

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/07/...neral-brigham/

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08...s-work-act-now

Old 07-17-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Masks are common in many Asian countries, especially those countries with better outcomes.

If masks prevent you from getting Covid, what does it matter what anyone else does?

Old 07-17-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Peer-reviewed or no, countries with a higher incidence of mask-wearing have far fewer cases.

At some point, data that may be believable to you will be available.
In the meantime, that fact and the following are sufficient for me, particularly since wearing a mask is cheap, easy and non-invasive.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0612172200.htm

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...142-9/fulltext

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/07/...neral-brigham/

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08...s-work-act-now
Again, people such as yourself constantly tell us skeptics how we don't believe in "science". Yet, you're the ones propagating non-scientific evidence.

I think the bar for evidence should be set higher. And correlation (countries with a higher incidence of mask-wearing have far fewer cases as you claim) isn't necessarily causation.

And, I'm not against mask wearing. I'm against government mandate to do so. And again, if masks work, and you yourself are free to wear one, what does it matter what anyone else does?

Old 07-17-2020, 06:44 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

My brother was stationed in Japan in the late 80s. He said even then that the sick wore masks and quarantined themselves. We are such a stupid country.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:53 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Don't bother trying to talk some sense into some folks.

THE LOCKDOWN HAS TURNED FEAR INTO A VIRTUE. Those who are afraid believe they're better people than those who aren't, and will subconsciously look for ways to multiply that fear, because it's their virtue.
The absolute truth! Being liberals they love mind control and instilling fear into people. They are polarizing our country and our economy over a low risk of death virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies