Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 06:47 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Well I figured it was just a matter of time until this government turned to grabbing people off the street as a terror tactic. Now it looks like it has begun... in Portand.

Federal Officers Use Unmarked Vehicles To Grab Protesters Off Portland Streets

So much for the Constitution. Looks like I'll have to be extra careful on my walks now.
You see the Trumpists yammering on about the importance of the 2cd amendment. The 1st and the 4th are the true cornerstones of freedom, and with this action we can see exactly what Trump thinks about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 07:01 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Navy vet who went down to talk to them about breaking their oath gets beaten for just standing there. Broke his hand.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9627466.html
Notnamed, this is becoming a tactic, so forgive me if I am skeptical. A snippet of video, decontextualized, and then an article where they don't solicit a statement from the other side. Had this gathering already been declared a riot when this man was just 'standing there?' You are not just 'standing there' in a riot--you are part of the riot, even if you are standing there. Once something is a riot, everyone there is a rioter. This is a very important distinction. He said this in the article:

"Mr David admitted there were protesters showing more aggressive behaviour during Saturday night’s protest, including breaking down fences outside the courthouse and placing them up against the front doors."

So it sounds like it was a riot, and the rioters were actually attacking the courthouse (a federal building) by placing fences up against the door. To do what? Trap the agents in the courthouse? And then what? Set it on fire? Launch more small explosives in there like a few weeks ago? Should the agents let themselves be trapped in so they can find out?

So it very well may have already been declared a riot and this guy didn't disperse. But since the so-called journalist didn't ask him this, or solicit any statements from the other side, we can't gather that information from that article.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:09 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
An invention of the alt-right. There are some independent rabble rousers, and I despise those. Antifa is not an organization. There are a few people who feel they need to be rioters. They are criminals, with or without the label.

But boy, does the idea of them trigger the alt-right!
Actually they trigger the average rational thinking American.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:22 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Not sure what you're complaining about, I admire their restraint in not shooting them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
So they are grabbing terrorists off the street and I'm supposed to think that's a bad thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Isn't the DHS allowed to protect us from domestic terrorism ? That is what they are doing since the politicians won't allow the police to do their jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Yeah i dont really care. Portland is essentially a communist outpost at this point. You can't call yourself a sanctuary city and then be mad when someone else doesnt follow the rules.
Make no mistake, many on the right would prefer an authoritarian government, as long as their party is in charge.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:27 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Notnamed, this is becoming a tactic, so forgive me if I am skeptical. A snippet of video, decontextualized, and then an article where they don't solicit a statement from the other side. Had this gathering already been declared a riot when this man was just 'standing there?' You are not just 'standing there' in a riot--you are part of the riot, even if you are standing there. Once something is a riot, everyone there is a rioter. This is a very important distinction. He said this in the article:

"Mr David admitted there were protesters showing more aggressive behaviour during Saturday night’s protest, including breaking down fences outside the courthouse and placing them up against the front doors."

So it sounds like it was a riot, and the rioters were actually attacking the courthouse (a federal building) by placing fences up against the door. To do what? Trap the agents in the courthouse? And then what? Set it on fire? Launch more small explosives in there like a few weeks ago? Should the agents let themselves be trapped in so they can find out?

So it very well may have already been declared a riot and this guy didn't disperse. But since the so-called journalist didn't ask him this, or solicit any statements from the other side, we can't gather that information from that article.
Specific locations/groups are declared riots. They are not advancing in a clearing action in that vid. He is literally just standing there. There is no excusing that in my mind.

The others taking action violent against the justice center? Have at them.

Peaceful protesters, medics, reporters? Hands off.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:30 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Make no mistake, many on the right would prefer an authoritarian government, as long as their party is in charge.
No, we need a government that enforces the laws. Riots need to be put down, with violence where necessary. That applies to rioters from any side

Old 07-19-2020, 07:47 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Nice night for a bonfire....
https://youtu.be/kf9M7aZ-33s

Old 07-19-2020, 07:57 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Well I figured it was just a matter of time until this government turned to grabbing people off the street as a terror tactic. Now it looks like it has begun... in Portand.

Federal Officers Use Unmarked Vehicles To Grab Protesters Off Portland Streets

So much for the Constitution. Looks like I'll have to be extra careful on my walks now.
How does the author know these are law enforcement officers doing this?

How does the author know that the LEO are violating the Rights of the people they supposedly take off the streets?

This looks like the author is making assumptions and jumping to conclusions.

Really now, Portland has been the scene of lawless looting, riots, arson and assaults, week after week after week, and we are supposed to be outraged over the possibility, the rumor that law enforcement might be apprehending the rioters?

Were we not supposed to be concerned about two months of continuous riots??

Old 07-19-2020, 07:58 PM

315 posts, read 116,382 times
The protesting last night was incredibly peaceful. So much peace.

Tonight should be another great love-in!

Old 07-19-2020, 11:38 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
No, we need a government that enforces the laws. Riots need to be put down, with violence where necessary. That applies to rioters from any side
you don't enforce laws by breaking them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies