Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2020, 07:59 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterplease909 View Post
So I guess all of the property destruction, arson and assault over these last weeks never happened?
The protests are largely peaceful. But if you really think Trump is sending in men in green military fatigues with no clear agency affiliation or identification, grabbing (kidnapping) anti-racist protesters and tossing them in unmarked SUV's because he's really interested in a few million in property damage, you are as gullible as Trump wants you to be -- a patsy.

I don't know if this happens in Venezuela or Hong Kong but this sounds a lot like what happened in the Nazi Germany regime. Dissenters were hauled off and sent to "work" camps and given productive work to do. The US spent a lot of money and lives defeating Fascism in Europe in WWII. If these protesters are against Fascism, then count me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 08:10 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,668,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The protests are largely peaceful.

The "peaceful protests" are whats turning those cities into looking like they've been hit by an atomic bomb.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:11 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think that's part of it.

Here's the thing. The Feds CAN'T arrest people who are milling around, which is what most of this crowd is doing, milling around. First amendment rights. They've tried tear gassing them, and that works to a point, but now the protesters have huge fans that sends the tear gas right back, so that's stopped working.

Something that might work is making them stop wanting to gather, rather than attempting to force them to quit gathering, which is unconstitutional and hasn't worked.

How 'bout we sent the moms in?

How about we bring troops of Boy Scouts in during the day to learn and experience their American right to peacefully assemble? (That is a requirement for the Civics badge, that's required for Eagle). Lots of them, lots of uniformed boy scouts and their fat bald uniformed leaders?
I don't know what to make of this post.

For starters, the weirdest part first. Moms vs. Boy Scout leaders.
Also why the negative physical description of the men as fat and bald, but no such mention of the Moms physical appearance ?
I assume you do not envision all the Moms being physically fit and attractive, do you?
So iIs this some type of a feminist or anti-male rant I wonder.

Aside from that, who would bring their kids into a situation that might get them injured/killed?
Also, what you call a peaceful assembly has been far from it. Watching CNN or MSNBC you get the impression the criminality and rioting/looting is rare. Yet hundreds of images and videos show that many people have been harmed and millions upon millions of dollars in damage have occurred. You do not need to just watch FOX to see it, as plenty of news sources have documented it, you just need to get off the Communist News Network to see it.
So if that is the example you want to set for children to aspire to, I pity any children you might have responsibility for.

Now for the more reasonable part.
Yes people can peacefully protest in our country, and we have a long tradition of it.
However if you look at the civil rights marches for example, they did not involve the destruction of artwork/statues, buildings and churches being graffiti or burnt down, entire zones of the city taken over where crime was allowed to flourish and so forth.

What I think some on the left (especially those with TDS) are missing is that the local mayors and maybe even the governors(all of whom seem to be Democrats) are allowing to happen, is a violation of other peoples rights.
I wonder if those same politicians would be objecting to Obama sending in federal troops to help protect citizens and property?

It is also an abdication of their duty to insure all their citizens are safe, and can freely exercise their rights, not just those of the protesters.
I doubt seriously any of them ran on a platform of allowing their cities to be taken over by mobs of criminals violating curfews, and destroying things.
How many people (left-center-right) would have voted for that?

Additionally, as with just about everything these days, ideological motivation makes all the difference. Thus when what is presumably moderates to conservatives have protested lock down orders, those same Democrats derided them for potentially spreading the virus and acting irresponsibly.
Yet when leftists have taken to the streets to riot, destroy and create 2 months worth of mayhem, they seem to support it.

We are all experiencing a worldwide pandemic, yet if you are on the left side of the political/ideological spectrum, somehow all bets are off, and criminal activity is allowed to flourish. If the virus is spread so be it, as long as it is a worthy cause, right?

`

Old 07-21-2020, 08:12 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Am i supposed to be impressed by Karen's for communism?

Old 07-21-2020, 08:20 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,884 times
Quote:
The protests are largely peaceful. But if you really think Trump is sending in men in green military fatigues with no clear agency affiliation or identification, grabbing (kidnapping) anti-racist protesters and tossing them in unmarked SUV's because he's really interested in a few million in property damage, you are as gullible as Trump wants you to be -- a patsy.

I don't know if this happens in Venezuela or Hong Kong but this sounds a lot like what happened in the Nazi Germany regime. Dissenters were hauled off and sent to "work" camps and given productive work to do. The US spent a lot of money and lives defeating Fascism in Europe in WWII. If these protesters are against Fascism, then count me in.

Dissenters?

They are trying to use fences to barricade people in the federal courthouse.
They are attacking the federal courthouse with bricks, fireworks, etc.
They have set a fire to the courthouse. With people in it.
They are trying to break into the courthouse.

They may have probably cause to detain, based on videos or prior intel.

They are having problems arresting people on the spot because they dress in black bloc attire, swarm the arrest, and help the suspect disappear. So the Feds may have to arrest people at a later date in unmarked vehicles. Unmarked vehicles are not illegal.

They are not required to provide their name tags, especially when domestic terrorists could use that to target their families. "Hello! My name is Agent Joe Smith and you can go terrorize my family now!" We don't know that they don't identify their agency. One guys says they didn't...okay. Is he being truthful? We don't know.

Attacking a federal property is a felony, and may be considered terrorism.

We cannot set a precedent that this is just some 'property damage' or just roll out the welcome mat for any group to do this. "Federal courthouse...come on in ISIS, Proud Boys, Antifa...It's yours for the taking. What would you like next?"

The Wall Street Journal did a very balanced article about the right of the states vs. federal government on this issue, if you care to examine it in a way that doesn't use the words "Nazi" and "Trump's secret police."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-por...s&page=1&pos=2

All of this could have been avoided if Portland did its job.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:29 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,654 times
Moms actually get stuff done. Everyone knows that. The more people we can get on board with black lives matter the better. Times are changing for the better.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:33 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:

Stop with the false pretense. I'm not saying that there isn't any peaceful protests happening, but when people wearing helmets , carrying shields, with a variety of weapons on them gather at midnight , they aren't there to sing kum ba yah and have a candle light vigil.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:41 AM

9,987 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Moms actually get stuff done. Everyone knows that. The more people we can get on board with black lives matter the better. Times are changing for the better.
Have you been fitted for your Mao suit yet?

Old 07-21-2020, 08:42 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
So you think getting people "on board" with a racist hate group makes things better? What an odd position to hold.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:08 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't see it that way.

If more moms come, armed with their rhyming chants that make sense, the crowds will likely dissipate. So far, they haven't been deterred, so there has likely been one or more who have been hit by plastic bottles. And yes, I believe they'll shrug their shoulders and carry on. And if it grows, in several more days there will be no one left but the feds and the moms, who by that time will have organized little concession areas to provide water and granola bars manned by volunteers.

Because, you know, moms.
Says middle of the road ClaraC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies