Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 12:07 PM

47,036 posts, read 26,117,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
DeSantis has allowed the local governments freedom to meet their own requirements with regard to COVID-19. After all, why should a county like Okeechobee be required to follow the same restrictions as Miami-Dade?
I'll never roll my eyes at the mayor in "Jaws" again. He's the most realistic character in that movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 12:13 PM

35,787 posts, read 21,162,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Interesting. If I had the time (and inclination) I would like to know where the 924 registered voters they surveyed were from.

DeSantis has allowed the local governments freedom to meet their own requirements with regard to COVID-19. After all, why should a county like Okeechobee be required to follow the same restrictions as Miami-Dade?
Guess you don’t get out much from Trump country- or maybe call it Transplant Isles - I drive through there on occasion. Do you know the farmhands in your area are getting sick from Covid ? Probably not.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:13 PM

14,042 posts, read 5,673,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'll never roll my eyes at the mayor in "Jaws" again. He's the most realistic character in that movie.
That's an awesome parallel. In that film, the mayor had the deaths attributed to shark attacks hung around his neck, but he has the entire tourism-based economy of Amity Island to worry about as well. Easy enough to second guess that guy, but he had more to worry about than a handful of shark attacks.

You have the "shut everything down right this second" oceanographer, and you had the town hall with all the business owners yelling "keep it open" because they were scared about people not coming to the beach and their businesses dying. And one guy had to be the accountable buck stops here guy weighing all that.

Yeah, he is the most realistic character in that movie.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:15 PM

5,595 posts, read 2,327,749 times
Florida Governor Desantis follows Trump's lead. DeSantis is called Trump's mini-me.

If DeSantis has a very low approval rating in Florida, this means Trump is at risk of losing Florida in November.

DeSantis ran his Governor election campaign on supporting Trump. He didn't even have a platform. All his campaign ads were about supporting Trump. And he governs the exact way.

Trump is OK with Covid spreading and DeSantis is ok with Covid spreading. DeSantis mandated Florida schools reopen after meeting with Pence in-person at the Tampa airport. He got his marching orders from Trump and put all the school kids in Florida at risk. The next day Trump announced the in-person school requirements for the entire country.

Unfortunately, DeSantis isn't up for re-election into 2022. At least Florida has the opportunity to vote Trump out of office in less than 100 days. If that happens, DeSantis is as good as neutered for the remaining 2 years in office.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:16 PM

593 posts, read 670,414 times
I’m a democrat, but truthfully I liked and respected Desantis prior to COVID. Through this though he shown a clear lack of plan, and rather has watched what other states do and then followed suit a week or two later. The icing on the cake for me was when he said he would send his kids to school (he has no school aged children) and wants all businesses open and running as normal (his office has been closed to the public for months with zero signs of reopening any time soon). Those 2 things combined proved to me that he could care less how this effects every day Floridians as long as it doesn’t effect him and his family. He knows more than most of us and is doing the opposite of what he preaches....... Why????

Old 07-27-2020, 12:26 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,897,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
DeSantis is governor of the state more dependent on tourism and the face-to-face & travel economy than any other state in the union, except maybe Hawai'i. He has economic repercussions to answer to, as well as health and wellness.
And how's that tourism and face-to-face and travel economy working out for Florida right now? They just sent the GOP convention packing because it was too dangerous to hold it there. What did DeSantis' lackadaisical response gain for Florida in the end? Nothing but six months of wasted time.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:54 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,230,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Guess you don’t get out much from Trump country- or maybe call it Transplant Isles - I drive through there on occasion. Do you know the farmhands in your area are getting sick from Covid ? Probably not.

I am probably more aware of the numbers in my region than what most people see on the nightly news.

But you are proving my point. Why should areas with lower numbers be forced to follow the same restrictions of areas with higher numbers?

Should New York and California set the tone for Oklahoma and Idaho?

Old 07-27-2020, 02:27 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,670,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
To start with, you don't keep your state open simply to please a know-nothing president who doesn't believe in science. You look at the data, listen to the epidemiologists and healthcare experts, and act accordingly, which in the case means closing down before it gets out of control. This was not New York, which was unprepared for what hit them. Florida had the benefit of watching this virus take down other states for months, and still sided with the president that it was no big deal, nothing that actually needed drastic action.

If we start right there, the rest of what you write is moot.

DeSantis chose politics over the wellbeing of his constituents. And his constituents are letting him know how they feel about that. As is their right.

This...he blew it...has blood on his hands...

Old 07-27-2020, 02:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,765,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
And this was before the Miami Marlins' home opener had to be cancelled because too many of their players had COVID.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...244435697.html
Now 11 Marlins players have Covid. I hope they don't cancel the upcoming football season because of the virus.

As for DeSantis is seen as a DC puppet and nothing more. The pandemic exposed his lack of leadership 100%

Old 07-27-2020, 03:01 PM

7,176 posts, read 4,767,016 times
His numbers will change when the facts come out. Florida has flawed reporting big time. It's being investigated.

"Countless labs have reported a 100 percent positivity rate, which means every single person tested was positive. Other labs had very high positivity rates. FOX 35 News found that testing sites like one local Centra Care reported that 83 people were tested and all tested positive. Then, NCF Diagnostics in Alachua reported 88 percent of tests were positive."

"The report showed that Orlando Health had a 98 percent positivity rate. However, when FOX 35 News contacted the hospital, they confirmed errors in the report. Orlando Health's positivity rate is only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report."

"The report also showed that the Orlando Veteran’s Medical Center had a positivity rate of 76 percent. A spokesperson for the VA told FOX 35 News on Tuesday that this does not reflect their numbers and that the positivity rate for the center is actually 6 percent."

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fo...vid-19-results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies