Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 12:59 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Would you want your child being taught by a self-proclaimed communist?

My real purpose in this thread was to play Devil's Advocate. I feel like conservatives are a little hypocritical when it comes to public education, and delusional for that matter... So reread what I wrote and maybe it'll make more sense...

What was I really trying to say?
Oh I know what you're saying.

As long as the communist wasn't teaching economics then I'm ok with that. Teaching is a predominantly left leaning profession with strong union influence anyway.....However being a self proclaimed conservative is far more career limiting.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:23 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,218,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Many professors are open communists.
And conservatives complain about it incessantly. As they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its a bizarre recreation of the McCarthy era. But instead of targeting a fringe of 1% who were communists and another 5-10% who would "associate" with them, its attacking 50% of the country and another 20% who would "associate" with them.
I'm about as conservative as you can get. My real beef is with the education system itself. Which I don't believe really educates people in the way people think it does.

"The plain fact is that education is itself a form of propaganda - a deliberate scheme to outfit the pupil, not with the capacity to weigh ideas, but with a simple appetite for gulping ideas ready-made. The aim is to make 'good' citizens, which is to say, docile and uninquisitive citizens." - H.L. Mencken

Literal morons get high school diplomas, and half the college degrees are fairly useless. What does either of them really say about you? It says that you'll wake up in the morning, go to school, do what you're told, and not cause problems. Basically, it means you're an obedient and somewhat ambitious worker who will listen.

Also, to avoid favoritism, corporations institute rules for who can be promoted and who can't, requiring college degrees for jobs that don't actually require one. That doesn't mean you don't learn anything at school, but in many cases that isn't the point, or at least isn't the primary point. Which is why you have to take so many classes that have nothing to do with your major. The purpose isn't just to train you in a skill, but to change who you are as a person. They're training "future leaders".

"The most erroneous assumption is to the effect that the aim of public education is to fill the young of the species with knowledge and awaken their intelligence, and so make them fit to discharge the duties of citizenship in an enlightened and independent manner. Nothing could be further from the truth. The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the United States, whatever the pretensions of politicians, pedagogues and other such mountebanks, and that is its aim everywhere else." - H.L. Mencken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
However being a self proclaimed conservative is far more career limiting.
I really don't care when a conservative gets fired from our communist public education system. I hope they all get fired. Maybe then conservatives will stop being complete and total morons. Why do you think I said, "I bet he spent all his life saying how much he loved America". I'm mocking and ridiculing these right-wing "patriots". They are not patriots at all. Patriotism isn't blind obedience to the state.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 08-04-2020 at 08:33 AM..
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies