Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2020, 12:42 PM

8,357 posts, read 2,978,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You're either lying or you're stupid.

It dropped 9.5% in the second quarter. If it dropped at that rate for a full year it would be 32.9% hence "annual rate".
Or lying and stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 12:44 PM

20,884 posts, read 9,576,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The 32% is annualized. The first line in your link shows it.
As I said:

"It is an annualized figure. That is how the BEA has always calculated GDP, and how they always will."

Just because the BEA is calculating something the way they always have done, does not make it wrong.

Just because somebody doesn't like the number, all of a sudden they come out of the woodwork and try to tell everyone that the BEA's own methodology they've been using for decades is suddenly wrong.

Funny they did not say these things in the quarters when GDP was growing under Trump. After all, if some quarter grew 4% annualized that's really more like 1% not annualized. Where were the Trumpies pointing out the flaw in the BEA's methodology back then?

Old 07-30-2020, 12:46 PM

322 posts, read 245,309 times
See, Dem. lock downs work. They've killed the Economy and the Left blames Trump for it. Not sure if it actually had any effect on the virus though.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Uhhhhh.....

Are many people too ignorant to realize the implications of the phrase "annual/annualized rate"? Probably. That doesn't make the OP incorrect, however.
So what? You could take Obama's worst unemployment quarter and annualize it or even stretch it out for the decade. What's the point?

The point here is TDS. Nothing more. Same clowns. Different thread.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
So somebody posts that the economy drops 32.9% and that's a Trump hating statement? I wouldn't think stating facts would be considered hate spewing, TBH. It either did or didn't drop 32.9%. What's that got to do with hate?
It didn't drop 32.9%. Do you understand that?

Old 07-30-2020, 12:54 PM

29,567 posts, read 14,708,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
So somebody posts that the economy drops 32.9% and that's a Trump hating statement? I wouldn't think stating facts would be considered hate spewing, TBH. It either did or didn't drop 32.9%. What's that got to do with hate?
Are you reading the same replies in this thread that I am ? And yes, it is a Trump hate/blame statement. What planet have you been on ? The world is in a pandemic, do you think that has anything to do with it ? You can't be that ignorant...

Old 07-30-2020, 12:56 PM

20,884 posts, read 9,576,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
It didn't drop 32.9%. Do you understand that?
Yes, according to the entity that calculates and publishes the very GDP figure we are talking about, says that it declined 32.9%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Wrong. The BEA themselves - who are the entity that calculates and publishes GDP in the first place - say it is -32.9%. It is an annualized figure. That is how the BEA has always calculated GDP, and how they always will.
https://www.bea.gov/news/2020/gross-...-annual-update

Old 07-30-2020, 01:02 PM

29,567 posts, read 14,708,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
We all know the reason. It's the fat orange idiot in the WH and his rabid MAGAs. The rest of the world took a realistic scientific approach to gain control, which is why our deaths are still off the charts and the infection rate continues to climb five months later. Scientific thinking didn't dominate here, MAGAs did.

The difference between our countries is we are overrun by anti-science, anti-intellectual MAGAs. We never had the same chance the rest of the world did because of it. And you're right, it's going to take years, and a Democrat in office, to right the ship.
What are you comparing this to ? Just curious. We are a country of 330 million, and we've got roughly 150k deaths. There really isn't any way to compare our country apples to apples to another.

Adding several together to get close to our population would be a fair comparison.

Spain 46 million 28,000 deaths

UK 66 million 45,000 deaths

Germany 82 million 9000 deaths

France 67 million 30,000 deaths

Italy 60 million 35,000 deaths

These countries combined have a population total of 321 million, and 147,000 total covid deaths. So, tell me again, how much worse Trump has done than any other country ? Seems to me like the entire globe is getting it's ass kicked. But go ahead, blame Trump though...SMH

Old 07-30-2020, 01:03 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,407,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
...What's the point?...
The point is that's how the number's reported. This isn't new.

Real gross domestic product (GDP) decreased at an annual rate of 5.0 percent in the first quarter of 2020 (table 1), according to the "third" estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the fourth quarter, real GDP increased 2.1 percent...
(emphasis mine)

Real gross domestic product (GDP) increased at an annual rate of 2.1 percent in the third quarter of 2019 (table 1), according to the "third" estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the second quarter, real GDP increased 2.0 percent....
(emphasis mine)

Real gross domestic product (GDP) increased at an annual rate of 4.2 percent in the second quarter of 2018 (table 1), according to the "second" estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the first quarter, real GDP increased 2.2 percent....
(emphasis mine)

https://www.bea.gov/

Could you link me to the past threads taking exception with the methodology of reporting by the BEA?

Old 07-30-2020, 01:04 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,886,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Chit Chat View Post
I'm sure if Hillary was POTUS....
Damn, I've got absolutely nothing to say to refute these numbers! What to do, what to do...

I know!

Hillary!

Meanwhile, the economy is in a freefall with TRUMP as POTUS. Got anything to say about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies