Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Mail-in Voting function well enough?
Yes, MIV will work well enough 24 30.00%
Yes, with some glitches and some corruption 4 5.00%
No, it won't work well enough. Not good method 10 12.50%
No, it will fail. Many contested elections House/Senate 38 47.50%
We won't know untill we get there 4 5.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 08:20 AM

304 posts, read 160,456 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain the difference?

So are we saying that if I say I do not want to go to the polls and request an absentee ballot (like trump did THIS YEAR For the primaries) that is ok

If my state sends me a ballot I fill it out and mail it in (like deep red Utah does and how sen gardner (R) from Colorado got elected and also deep blue states like Washington and Hawaii) somehow that’s fraud

I’m just confused about how one is bad and one is fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 08:23 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post

So are we saying that if I say I do not want to go to the polls and request an absentee ballot (like trump did THIS YEAR For the primaries) that is ok

If my state sends me a ballot I fill it out and mail it in (like deep red Utah does and how sen gardner (R) from Colorado got elected and also deep blue states like Washington and Hawaii) somehow that’s fraud

Voting may not be your thang !!!

Old 07-30-2020, 08:25 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:

The difference is that the for an absentee ballot local state or county demands an excuse to use mail in. In states that use mail in like California you don't have to provide justification for not voting at a state approved site on election days.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:28 AM

304 posts, read 160,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The difference is that the for an absentee ballot local state or county demands an excuse to use mail in. In states that use mail in like California you don't have to provide justification for not voting at a state approved site on election days.
But Utah, Colorado, Washington, Hawaii and Oregon have been doing it for years...members of both parties have won various offices And elections from town clerk to electoral votes there have never been an issue.

Also most states don’t require an excuse you just say I want an absentee ballot and you get it

Old 07-30-2020, 08:35 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,402,404 times
It's crazy that in 2020 we still can't figure out voting from home using newfangled things called computers. We are able to conduct trillions of dollars of financial transactions on these futuristic devices but we can't trust ourselves to handle the simplest of tasks- "select A or B and press submit".

Somehow we think that printing stuff out, mailing it, filling it out, mailing it back, and having a human open it and either read it or feed it into their own newfangled computer is... safer? better? Certainly not cheaper.

Embarrassing as a nation that we can't figure out how to use 30 year old tech to do something so simple.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:40 AM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
I strongly suggest that if you use either method, you drive your completed ballot to your polling place, and put it in the box the volunteers will be holding in the drive through lanes.

You won't even have to get out of your car, and you wont need to trust the US Postal service.

If that is not possible, give your ballot to a family member or trusted friend to hand deliver to your precinct Nov 3rd.

You will have greater peace of mind knowing your vote will be counted.

The U.S. Postal service is in turmoil right now, so do NOT trust them to deliver your ballot. They are losing pieces of mail for weeks and months now. Its happened to me 4 times already where I've received a piece of mail that was postmarked weeks or months ago. They are suffering from random system breakdowns.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:40 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I think the difference is this:

With absentee ballots there is a record of the request and when the ballot is returned it is checked against the record to be sure there was not also a duplicate in-person vote.

With entirely mail-in voting there is the possibility for many copies to be made and fraudulently filled out and submitted. There is the possibility ballots could be taken out of the mail or family members may vote for other family members, but I think that it’s a smaller concern. Because of poor participation, many of these ballots would not be duplicates when they returned. And once the ballots are removed from envelopes they are separated from signatures making duplicates in recounts impossible to find.

I live in a state that has done mailing voting for several years now. I haven’t been terribly concerned about it but I can certainly see the potential for copies and counterfeits. I think the concern is that states are rushing into doing this without coming up with protocols to prevent duplicates. And the concerns are not being answered with thoughtful serious responses they’re just being dismissed as conspiracy by those who probably stand to benefit from fraud. That is not ever reassuring.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:46 AM

1,746 posts, read 880,455 times
Mail in voting means the state sends out ballots to every address in the state for registered voters. Many people never notify the state when they move out of that address and into another. There was a story on the news a few weeks back about a guy that received 5 ballots at his house all with different names on them. Anyone could easily fill them out and mail them in.

Absentee ballot, you have to request a ballot from the state, they check it against voter registrations and send it out to you. And in both NH and SC, you do have to have a reason for absentee voting and in SC, they generally require the form with your signature be witnessed. They did wave that for the local election in June - no word yet on November's election.

New Jersey's last election 20% of the ballots were deemed to be fraud and thrown out.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
It's only of concern now because the incumbent knows he's toast and needs to dither, deflect and delay.

If those who cannot or will not go to the polls get to easily cast their vote - he's in for the worst drubbing to hit an incumbent since Taft. the parallels are interesting to say the least.

https://www.newsweek.com/november-el...umbent-1515199

"Taft faced a restless public and a split Republican Party. National progressivism was nearly at high tide, and a large group of Republican progressives, called “insurgents,” sat in both houses of Congress. These Republicans, like a majority of Americans, demanded such reforms as tariff reductions, an income tax, the direct election of senators, and even stricter railroad and corporation regulations. Taft, who thought of himself as a progressive, was more conservative philosophically and lacked the qualities of a dynamic popular leader. His troubles began when he called Congress into special session in 1909 to take up tariff reform. When the measure that emerged from Congress increased rates, Republican insurgents and a majority of Americans were outraged, but Taft signed the bill and called it the best tariff law the Republicans had ever enacted. Conflicts and misunderstandings over conservation and legislative procedure caused the rift between Taft Republicans and the insurgents to grow. By 1910 the Republican insurgents were clearly in the ascendancy in Congress. Taking control of the president’s railroad-regulation measure, they added new provisions that greatly increased the Interstate Commerce Commission’s authority. The following year they bitterly opposed Taft’s measure for tariff reciprocity with Canada; it passed with Democratic support in Congress, only to go down to defeat at the hands of the Canadian electorate."

Old 07-30-2020, 08:50 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:

Trump logic.
It’s inexplicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies