Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 09:48 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,560,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
He was speaking about civil rights, past and present, at the funeral of a person who dedicated his life to those rights. It's 100% appropriate to acknowledge the progress made, and the work that is yet to be done. You may more may not agree with his assessment, but it's totally appropriate.

And (I assume you support Trump) with the current POTUS, I don't see how anyone can criticize anyone else for politicizing anything.

Current POTUS has politicized one national tragedy after another to shift blame for his own failures.

COVID
Race Relations
The election (for goodness sake)

The irony of yours and others' comments is deafening.
The irony of your BS stinks to high-heaven.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:04 AM

21,979 posts, read 9,557,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Do you know anything about the deceased? It was exactly what he would have expected and wanted.
Well, I can't disagree with that.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:04 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Politicizing at a funeral. Classy. “..using batons against peaceful demonstrators.”???

Who voted for this donkey?
We did. And speaking of civil rights abuses at the funeral of a civil rights icon sounds appropriate to me.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:07 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,616,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Guy View Post
His title is 44th President of the United States of America. And he showed himself to be a true leader and worthy of the office he held--- as did the other presidents in attendance-- with an inspirational eulogy fitting for the funeral of The Honorable Congressman John Lewis.

I suspect that is what has Tucker and Hannity and those supporting the guy who genuinely dog whistles, so angry. That is what has Trumpers slinking along that low road of which you speak. The first African American President praising the life of another good and decent, black, American public servant. How galling to the cult of Trump, the president who smears and slurs black citizens and who spent years trying to delegitimize Mr. Obama with racist birtherism vitriol. How embarrassing for the white supremacists to realize how petty and small is their idol when they watch genuine leaders exhibit love and respect for America, all her people and her ideals as they honor a black civil rights leader and legend.

Tuck and Hannity can tear people down as much as they want in an effort to make Trump seem big, but the 45th POTUS will never, ever measure up to Congressman John Lewis, or President Obama who eulogized a good man and humble public servant, yesterday, with inspirational words that were all about being an American and the importance of participation in the democratic process.

To those who heard otherwise, stuff it. You can do your nasty, twisty, hateful and jealous conspiratorial Trumpian rewrites, but only your ugly is being illustrated. An ugly that stands in stark contrast to the dynamic, emotional and eloquent words of real leaders, that btw resonate with a country in search of its soul and hungry for a "fuller, fairer, better America.”

Well, its good you have someone to look up to that you feel did a lot of good.. I guess that's why we have choices in whom to elect or not. (((unfortunately we are stuck with those we don't like either)).

You and me both have differing views of Obama, i will not try to convince you otherwise, but it is your right to have that opinion.

I hope that we can elect leaders that will do good for American citizens, because you and me have to live with the consequences of it.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:08 AM

21,979 posts, read 9,557,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
The thing about it, is Obama could have owned this moment. Owned it! He could have used it to help bring the country and races together. He could have spoken positively about the police and the work they do while also pushing for a better way to police. He is in a unique position to do so as he comes from a mixed race family, so he has experience with both black and whites. He could have chosen to be a real leader in this case. Instead, he chose politics and division over any of the better options .
Yes, but why would he? He never did while he was president.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:08 AM

47,023 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I do believe most people who disagreed with the speech feel that he could have chosen words that were more uplifting, more positive, less divisive etc.
Oh, it made you uncomfortable? John Lewis would have approved.

It's interesting, because this was exactly the criticism leveled at the civil rights movement: That they were negative, divisive, caused friction, made deep fissures in the national unity. They were not uplifting.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:11 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,114,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
Most african countries are s-holes by modern standards.

Obama's own family back in Kenya claimed that he was born in Kenya (which would make him inelligible to become president in the U.S.) This is what started the whole conspiracy thing about Obama's birth, his relatives back in Kenya who claimed he was born there and not in the U.S.

Some immigrants are rapists, murderers, drug dealers, narco terrorist, human traffickers, etc. That's why we need to stop all illegal immigration, so we can prevent criminals, gang members, and narco/human traffickers.
Dredging up the "birther" hoax again"? Then prove it.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:14 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,685,918 times
When Obama was in the WH,no one dared criticized him or they would be called a racist. IMO eight years were wasted under his Presidency. His healthcare costs of deductibles and copays are unattainable for an average family. He and Michelle increased racism in America and he was nothing more than a community leader, certainly not a Commander in Chief.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:16 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,595,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Obama is an inspirational figure.

He sullies what he accomplished by trying to parlay it into marginal political gains, often dishonestly.

He would be Rushmore material if he wasn't so petty and partisan.
Yes, just like the inspirational Hitler, he’s good at inspiring his fellow racists.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:19 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,616,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, it made you uncomfortable? John Lewis would have approved.

It's interesting, because this was exactly the criticism leveled at the civil rights movement: That they were negative, divisive, caused friction, made deep fissures in the national unity. They were not uplifting.

Haterade always makes me uncomfortable.. because people will hear that and get a bias that is going to be applied to a person who has not done anything to them i.e. hate only stirs up hate and nowadays causes people to get shot and maimed. Look at the police officers who were blinded by lasers by rioters over in Portland or wherever that was. sorry all these mobs of rioters sorta blend into one haterade group.

I was a young person during the 1968 riots. i believed they had reason to protest. nowadays not so much. Come on now, protesting statues???? really?

people protest over things that they just cant handle.. And so it started off protesting against the death of George Floyd, but really, more than 1 person died to avenge his death, and so much more damage, this protesting nowadays has gone to the toilet. with much damage that will never recover from.

worse yet, are the democrat mayors and governors totally dissing the fact that damage is being done, they act like its a birthday celebration. the poor citizens who did NOTHING to deserve it has now been destroyed. Seems like the leaders who are preaching civil rights might have done better to address that.

So black lives matter? not if you are a black police chief, a black baby, or a child sitting in her grandmothers house suffering a drive by bullet. If Obama was soo cool and so effective, why doesn't he instead address those things that really matter? Obama is worshipped by many (and im speaking literally here coz don't dare say a word against him or else) he could have used the time to speak to these things, not the usual community organizer bullcrap which is political you know, some believe to help Biden. Black babies need Obama to speak good words more than he did. but Obama don't care. he and his "wife" are enjoying their multi million dollar estate on the east coast there. and laughing all the way to the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies