Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 10:38 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,088,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer & Manatee View Post
For some reason, you think taking away the current way it is funded means taking away the program itself. Those are two completely different things. I hope you realize there current is no money for the program. That lockbox was picked decades ago and there is only an IOU in there. Trump is just making the IOU bigger, which it should be clear by now there is no longer such a things a fiscal responsibility anymore in either party. It's just adding more debt, but the program will remain. It's not going anywhere. The savings may come from the fact that we now have a lot fewer seniors collecting SS than we did at the beginning of the year, no?
I would love to see this be part of Trump's campaign. Now that I have taken out so many seniors with my non-COVID response, I'm ready to destroy SS and Medicare for those who I haven't gotten around to knocking off yet. This should finish the job.

Here's the thing. There are millions and millions of people, many as young as 62, who are already collecting and aren't going to look at this fondly. And there are millions and millions more who are looking to retire in the next 10 years or so who also aren't going to like this one bit. And millions and millions of younger people whose parents are depending on these programs to survive.

But I'll tell you what, if any Republicans think this is a good idea, I hope they run with it in their campaigns. I truly do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 10:45 AM

376 posts, read 103,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I would love to see this be part of Trump's campaign. Now that I have taken out so many seniors with my non-COVID response, I'm ready to destroy SS and Medicare for those who I haven't gotten around to knocking off yet. This should finish the job.

Here's the thing. There are millions and millions of people, many as young as 62, who are already collecting and aren't going to look at this fondly. And there are millions and millions more who are looking to retire in the next 10 years or so who also aren't going to like this one bit. And millions and millions of younger people whose parents are depending on these programs to survive.

But I'll tell you what, if any Republicans think this is a good idea, I hope they run with it in their campaigns. I truly do.
The issue is you think someone is going to take away SS. No one is going to do that. You are making a giant leap from the plan of buying votes by adding many more trillions to the 100 trillion SS is already in the hole by, to OMG they are going to take away SS. It's not about taking away SS, no matter how many times people keep spouting that false line. This is simply about two things. Buying votes by putting more money into people's pockets and putting the Democrats in a tactically bad position of trying to take away that money from people. SS itself will always be there, forever and ever.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:47 AM

1,131 posts, read 388,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Trump can’t do that. It’s going to get tossed out in court immediately. Congress controls taxation and appropriations.
Didn't he finance the Wall that Mexico will pay for with Defense appropriated funds? How is this different? Strip FEMA or other funds to pay. He's outahere anyway, but even if he wins, he'll pass along a ton of debt to our future generations while gloating about how only he can fix it.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I wish it was permanent. Stop taxing me and give me the freedom to use private 401k accounts. Let the leftists use up the SS funds until it's zero. If leftists want money, they can get a job or live with their children.
What makes you think only “ leftists” benefit from SS/ SSDI?

Baby boomers are the first generation who has paid into SS and Medicare their entire working lives. These taxes funded the benefits of the prior generations.

There are about 73 million baby boomers in the US, right now. They are either enrolled or will enroll in SS and Medicare over the next 8-10 years.

People tend to vote more conservatively as they age. The Villages, Florida is the fastest growing planned housing community in the US and it is age restricted,, it’s a must stop for any Republican candidate for President.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
The issue is you think someone is going to take away SS. No one is going to do that. You are making a giant leap from the plan of buying votes by adding many more trillions to the 100 trillion SS is already in the hole by, to OMG they are going to take away SS. It's not about taking away SS, no matter how many times people keep spouting that false line. This is simply about two things. Buying votes by putting more money into people's pockets and putting the Democrats in a tactically bad position of trying to take away that money from people. SS itself will always be there, forever and ever.
How do you figure that when Trump is telling us outright that he wants to defund it?

Old 08-09-2020, 10:58 AM

376 posts, read 103,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
How do you figure that when Trump is telling us outright that he wants to defund it?
When people say they want to defund the police, we are told all the time that does not mean do away with the police. Same thing.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybgrnle View Post
No no no... it seems nobody on this thread understands what Trump wants to do, probably because you never owned a business. This is not about payroll taxes being deducted from employees - this is about 1/2 payroll taxes paid by the employer. As an employee, you never see these taxes - they are paid by your employer, in the equal amount as what you see deducted from your paycheck as an employee. The government collects twice what was deducted from your paycheck, and your employee pays the other half of it. And if you are self-employed, you pay both halves. Trump wants the employer half of the taxes deferred, and eventually abolished.
No problem. How does Trump intend to make up the 50% loss of payroll tax revenue?

No way Congress, regardless of majority, will vote to double Payroll Taxes on all employed people and no way will any politician survive cutting benefits.

It’s just political hooey, in an election year.

Remember back in August, 2018, Trump started talking about a big tax cut for the Middle Class within weeks. Goof seemed unaware Congress was not even in session, let alone there was no plan anywhere to cut taxes. Nothing came of it.

Trump typically taps into popular grievances and promises to make it all better. .

Old 08-09-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
When people say they want to defund the police, we are told all the time that does not mean do away with the police. Same thing.
Defunding the police means diverting some funding to community programs to treat the root problems instead of just policing.

Defunding SS means no more SS.

Again, let's see how many Republicans jump on this plan. That will tell you how everyone who is not a MAGA really views this. I'm guessing he will have little to no support on this even from his bootlickers in Congress. They aren't as stupid as he is.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:06 AM

25,815 posts, read 12,868,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Trump can’t do that. It’s going to get tossed out in court immediately. Congress controls taxation and appropriations. No employer is going to stop deducting payroll taxes from their employees because they know that it’s going to get tossed out in court. Same for the $400 unemployment kicker where the states are required to pay 25%. This is political grandstanding instead of actually leading.
A Presidents powers are expanded during National Emergency's, like the Covid-19 pandemic. I predict it will be seen as being legal, and it will bring the Dems back to the table so the Pubs dont get 100% of the credit.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Here's more and more about how the pandemic is making the problem worse because fewer are working:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/polit...xes/index.html
According to Trump, CNN is fake news.

Trump does not concern himself with deficits or debt.

Unlike his own businesses, the states and the US cannot declare bankruptcy and default of debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies