Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 02:48 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
All it would take to eliminate the GOP is a Democratic faction is 100% in support of only the most basic gun rights regulation and nothing further. In a bubble, w/ no party identifiers, a guns-rights Democrat would even win TX.

Evangelicals and their anti-abortion issue can go screw themselves.

A-M-E-N, and the same for all those Trump FASCIST REPUBLICANS on Capital Hill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I am not going to argue with this. I agree.

The old Republican party was THE advocate for the rich and globalist corporations, the same people who sent our jobs overseas. The same people who closed down perfectly good profit making ventures because they could put their brand on cheap imitations from contractors in Honduras, Japan, Malaysia, Bangladesh and China. Exploiting cheap labor (often child labor) in unsafe working conditions.

Their root policies were so unpopular that within a democratic republic like ours (one where the common man has a vote) they could not hope to get enough votes to advance their own agenda. So they took to exploiting wedge issues.

Wedge issues are differences in opinion between subgroups of the working class. The target is one issue voters. Sometimes the issue has to be exaggerated but at the core of it is the need to amplify the grievance enough that they will break with their fellow workers on all other concerns.

So the Republican party became a party of collected grievances and anger. It was also becoming obvious to everyone that the Republican leadership was largely frustrating the rank and file, advancing the agenda of globalists. The Republican base was a groundswell of resentment.

The Tea Party (funded by the Koch Brothers) harnessed this energy, again for the benefit of the very rich. Trump managed to steal them away singing a different song.

I am surprised you don't realize this, but the big dark money is still in charge of the party.

That was the deal between McConnell and Ryan on the one side, and Trump on the other. Trump benefited handsomely from Republican pro-rich policies (most importantly the tax breaks for the rich policy with special new loopholes for Trump's and Kushner's real estate ventures) and in return Trump brought his 'populist' following complacently along.

Trump put more billionaires in his cabinet than we have ever had before. He bragged about it, you Trump supporters applauded him.

He is tearing down the regulations that keep you safe and your family healthy. You Trump supporters cheer him on.

His tax policies have already been mentioned, but of special note is the canceling of the estate tax (a tax which only applied to inherited wealth greater than $11 million) and this change benefits only the heirs of the super rich. You Trump supporters have supported this.

He just announced his intention to cancel the capital gains tax.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
George Orwell | Animal Farm ( circa 1945)

Old 08-13-2020, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That’s hogwash. The California GOP was wiped out by the Republicans consistently putting forth stupid policies and idiotic candidates.

Illegal immigrants can’t vote, so don’t even try it.

A-M-E-N!

Old 08-13-2020, 07:12 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
He predicts that what happened to the Republican Party in California, Trump is doing to the Republican Party nationally:

Veteran GOP Strategist Takes On Trump — And His Party — In 'It Was All A Lie' - NPR
There's a reason no one has ever heard of Stuart Stevens and everyone has heard of Trump.

Trump saved the Republican party. Saved it from itself. Saved it from scoundrels like Mitt Romney and lost souls like George Will. Had it not been for Trump's candidacy, GWB would have been the last Republican President for a hundred years, or the end of the US as a sovereign nation, whichever came first. Much more likely the latter.

This stuff is written for all 12 people in the US who still take NPR seriously.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:14 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Trump turned the GOP into the America first party. Before they were the 'rich first' party. That's energizing it. Now middle class and lower income people can vote GOP.
Nailed it!

Old 08-13-2020, 10:24 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Trump turned the GOP into the America first party. Before they were the 'rich first' party. ...
If you really believed that, you (and Trump) would back campaign finance reform, to keep the rich from having that obscene control of the party and our electoral processes ever again. I don't see that coming from your direction.

What you fail to realize is the party 'behind the curtain' has never changed. But you pay no attention to it.

The big dark money of the richest families and global corporation is the life's blood of the Republican Party. THEY are the source of those big campaign dollar hauls you guys keep bragging about.

Trump himself admitted that he is controlled by special interests and lobbyists:
"By self-funding my campaign, I am not controlled by my donors, special interests or lobbyists. I am only working for the people of the U.S.!"

In actuality, after he said that a few times at rallies he stopped saying that, the timing was precise ... long before election day. Subsequently he only contributed a minor fraction of the total costs to his campaign, the remainder coming mostly from well-heeled donors and globalists. Trump has used the office to pay back favors to these financial backers.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:37 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
The Republican Party had my vote for a few years after my Military service. But, as I matured and progressed through the workforce, I began understanding the importance of [universal] healthcare benefits, secure retirement benefits, workplace safety, collective bargaining rights, unionization, environmental protection, etc..

As a Working Man, and given those understandings, in good conscience, I could no longer vote Republican. And while the Democratic Party is far from perfect, it is at par with some of the things I value; things which allow me to live a relatively stable life. I've been at my power industry job for 35+ years. It's an industry wherein workplace safety, collective bargaining and environmental regulations protect workers from a gamut of risks. To read how this administration is hellbent on removing regulations which protect workers and the environment is astonishing and beyond belief.

It is further astonishing to read of people who are against universal healthcare when good health is what keeps us alive an allows quality of life. Same goes for those who oppose environmental regulations. How could anyone in their right mind stand against regulations designed to improve the air we breathe, the water we drink, the soil beneath our feet?

For these and a few other reasons, I ceased voting Republican. As others have remarked, the GOP - in its current form - seems headed towards extinction. I believe todays' youth will seal the fate of tomorrow's GOP.

My personal hope? That the GOP will reinvent itself and become more appealing to a wider more diverse audience.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:42 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
There's a reason no one has ever heard of Stuart Stevens and everyone has heard of Trump.

Trump saved the Republican party. Saved it from itself. Saved it from scoundrels like Mitt Romney and lost souls like George Will. Had it not been for Trump's candidacy, GWB would have been the last Republican President for a hundred years, or the end of the US as a sovereign nation, whichever came first. Much more likely the latter.

This stuff is written for all 12 people in the US who still take NPR seriously.
"In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat," Trump told Wolf Blitzer at the time. "It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans.""

Direct quote from Trump.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
The Republican Party had my vote for a few years after my Military service. But, as I matured and progressed through the workforce, I began understanding the importance of [universal] healthcare benefits, secure retirement benefits, workplace safety, collective bargaining rights, unionization, environmental protection, etc..

As a Working Man, and given those understandings, in good conscience, I could no longer vote Republican. And while the Democratic Party is far from perfect, it is at par with some of the things I value; things which allow me to live a relatively stable life. I've been at my power industry job for 35+ years. It's an industry wherein workplace safety, collective bargaining and environmental regulations protect workers from a gamut of risks. To read how this administration is hellbent on removing regulations which protect workers and the environment is astonishing and beyond belief.

It is further astonishing to read of people who are against universal healthcare when good health is what keeps us alive an allows quality of life. Same goes for those who oppose environmental regulations. How could anyone in their right mind stand against regulations designed to improve the air we breathe, the water we drink, the soil beneath our feet?

For these and a few other reasons, I ceased voting Republican. As others have remarked, the GOP - in its current form - seems headed towards extinction. I believe todays' youth will seal the fate of tomorrow's GOP.

My personal hope? That the GOP will reinvent itself and become more appealing to a wider more diverse audience.
They won’t. The GOP can’t turn back until they’re completely feckless and unable to win so much as a vote for dogcatcher.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
"In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat," Trump told Wolf Blitzer at the time. "It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans.""

Direct quote from Trump.
And the so called “liberal media” never even calls Trump out for this statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies