Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 09:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I attended a meeting last night to talk about how our schools will reopen. We're still a month away. They're splitting the kids in half so that there will only typically be 9-12 in a class So half the kids go M and Th, half T and F, and W is deep cleaning day and everyone is remote. Masks required, plexiglass, whole deal. I'm cautiously optimistic. Our infection rate is also only 1% or so. If it goes above 5%, we'll be shut down.
We start back in 10 days: One local school district planned on doing what yours is going to do: our governor said nope: all kids have to be offered a choice; traditional school, virtual school or strictly home schooled. The decision had to be made a few weeks ago. The majority of families have opt for tradition school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 09:50 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think we know it is very contagious, it is foolish to open a school like this, I'm wondering what changed in their policy since the virus hit. Strange how schools can't even require masks since its not in the dress code. Bottom line is that they need to get this virus to a reasonable level before they start to reopen, they went from a few cases to 900 in one week.

This is not what success looks like.
Actually it wasn't 900 cases. Due to contact with those tested positive, others had to quarantine.

"Since we’ve reopened, and as of this morning, there have been 59 positive COVID-19 tests confirmed among our students and staff, which have led us to mandate two-week quarantines for 925 students and staff. "

https://www.cherokeek12.net/News/811....NwVWQPJa.dpbs

Old 08-12-2020, 09:56 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think we know it is very contagious, it is foolish to open a school like this, I'm wondering what changed in their policy since the virus hit. Strange how schools can't even require masks since its not in the dress code. Bottom line is that they need to get this virus to a reasonable level before they start to reopen, they went from a few cases to 900 in one week.

This is not what success looks like.
Was it foolish to open the schools when Swine Flu was present?
The thing that changed is the US government's leadership. This time around we know all about social distancing, wearing masks and protecting ourselves. Our schools all require masks. Quarantine those who tests positive. None of that was done with Swine Flu.
So wouldn't you agree that this approach is the best possible one?

Old 08-12-2020, 09:58 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We start back in 10 days: One local school district planned on doing what yours is going to do: our governor said nope: all kids have to be offered a choice; traditional school, virtual school or strictly home schooled. The decision had to be made a few weeks ago. The majority of families have opt for tradition school.
I'm pretty happy with it. Of course not everyone is My son is a rising senior and I hate that he is missing so much. But I think this is the best option for now. Their goal is to have the elementary kids full time within the month but for older kids this is probably the long term solution.

There is also a remote option for anyone who is not comfortable being there.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:02 AM

6,104 posts, read 2,727,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Was it foolish to open the schools when Swine Flu was present?
The thing that changed is the US government's leadership. This time around we know all about social distancing, wearing masks and protecting ourselves. Our schools all require masks. Quarantine those who tests positive. None of that was done with Swine Flu.
So wouldn't you agree that this approach is the best possible one?
Except covid isn't the Flu its a whole different virus and far worse.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:07 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I'm pretty happy with it. Of course not everyone is My son is a rising senior and I hate that he is missing so much. But I think this is the best option for now. Their goal is to have the elementary kids full time within the month but for older kids this is probably the long term solution.

There is also a remote option for anyone who is not comfortable being there.
I had heard this term "rising senior" a few times. Had to look up what it meant. I guess in the old days we said things like "my son is 'going into/ entering' his senior year".

I guess this is progress.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:32 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Just serving the kids up to this madness..

Shame.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:21 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
The districts need to have appropriate and strict strategies in place to limit the spread of coronavirus when they open. Many parents have to work and not every parent has the luxury of being able to work from home. When schools shut down unexpectedly because of rising spread of COVID at schools, parents pay the price in unexpected child care spending, missed work days, or worse yet, becoming infected.

These school opening experiences will give other school districts food for thought.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:29 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
The districts need to have appropriate and strict strategies in place to limit the spread of coronavirus when they open. Many parents have to work and not every parent has the luxury of being able to work from home. When schools shut down unexpectedly because of rising spread of COVID at schools, parents pay the price in unexpected child care spending, missed work days, or worse yet, becoming infected.

These school opening experiences will give other school districts food for thought.
Agreed that school closures create incredible hardship for two-income families who don’t have the luxury of working at home, which is why every family needs a plan B that they can deploy in short order. The quarantine procedures that many districts have in place right now practically guarantee that schools will reach a tipping point and have to close.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:40 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Georgia school district quarantines 925 students, staff after coronavirus reopening

https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgia-s...irus-reopening

there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies