Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 06:11 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,800,154 times

Advertisements

People will quibble about the word "lockdown." "What lockdown? We don't have any lockdown!" But the fact is things are not normal. Some states were quite draconian in their rules. People are not gathering together in the ways that humans have evolved to do. Those book clubs, Zumba classes, church socials, little league games, yoga classes...and countless in-person socializing...are the glue that holds civil society together. We don't realize it until it is gone, and people are so desperate for contact they flood the streets in protests for months...also riots and 'looting events.'

Except protests are not pro-social behavior. They are anti-social. They are not a healthy way for people to interact long term. While they may have a legitimate targeted purpose, they aren't a substitute for social interaction.

If you want to be with a large group of people, you can't do it at a concert, a sporting event, a State Fair, a movie, a 9/11 memorial, or a wedding.... You have to protest. That is not good for society.

Last edited by kmom2; 08-15-2020 at 06:19 AM..

Old 08-15-2020, 06:28 AM

13,642 posts, read 4,958,734 times
In my state they closed schools, restaurants and bars for a few months. With these restrictions we drove the number of cases down, so then were able to reopen with mask use and other precautions. Now, people in New England and New York are free to visit each other, but anyone coming from a different state is expected to quarantine. We’re back to dining out, going to the gym and going to church. I call that a success.

Meanwhile, it’s the idiots in southern and midwestern states that didn’t take this thing seriously that are now having big problems. If you think lockdown is destroying your lifestyle, you only have yourself to blame.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:31 AM

7,423 posts, read 3,567,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Incorrect. Capitalism is destroying America. The lockdowns without adequate aid to low income families but 3 trillion in corporate bailouts is merely accelerating it.
What does aid to low income families have to do with capitalism?

Old 08-15-2020, 06:33 AM

1,154 posts, read 367,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
People will quibble about the word "lockdown." "What lockdown? We don't have any lockdown!" But the fact is things are not normal. Some states were quite draconian in their rules. People are not gathering together in the ways that humans have evolved to do. Those book clubs, Zumba classes, church socials, little league games, yoga classes...and countless in-person socializing...are the glue that holds civil society together. We don't realize it until it is gone, and people are so desperate for contact they flood the streets in protests for months...also riots and 'looting events.'

Except protests are not pro-social behavior. They are anti-social. They are not a healthy way for people to interact long term. While they may have a legitimate targeted purpose, that purpose isn't a substitute for social interaction.

If you want to be with a large group of people, you can't do it at a concert, a sporting event, a State Fair, a movie, a 9/11 memorial, or a wedding.... You have to protest. That is not good for society.
I do see merit in your last statement, but I suppose I’m just a bit too old and tired to be able to sustain the anger necessary for protesting in the streets. At whom should I be angry? The continual sniping, whether from neighbors griping on Nextdoor about schools opening (or closing) to Carlson and other talking heads ranting about social breakdown, exhausts me. Nature is cruel. The uncertainty about the future is terribly frustrating. The loss of normalcy, whether or not by choice, is depressing. I can’t blame anyone for straining at boundaries, but this, too, shall pass. When I was younger, my MIL would repeat that saying over and over, and I would bristle, but she was right. There’s nothing to do now but wait it out.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:43 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,357,232 times
Quote:
Incorrect. Capitalism is destroying America. The lockdowns without adequate aid to low income families but 3 trillion in corporate bailouts is merely accelerating it.
Actually, it's the Leftists' passion for destroying or diminishing the normal (and entirely voluntary) interaction between rational individuals (AKA free enterprise and capitalism) that is weakening our nation.

and Korporate bailouts aren't "capitalism"; they're the favorite pastime of wannabee-influence-peddlers like Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer.

Conservatives know this; I know it; people like Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity know it for damned sure: but you don't -- or don't want to admit it.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:58 AM

45,251 posts, read 26,502,350 times
Quote:
Doesnt know what capitalism is and has more in common with Trump than they realize ^

Old 08-15-2020, 08:03 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,777,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
What lockdowns is Tucker talking about? In my state, the ones instituted in March are long expired.
They may have long-expired but many businesses are going under because they could not survive the lock downs.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:04 AM

1,231 posts, read 449,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Many regulations about staying away from people, marriages and funerals with only a few guests, etc, etc, etc. Now schools are having a hard time reopening. Depends on your locale but in many places it's mostly locked down on what people are use to.
There have been large weddings and funerals that caused huge amounts of people to become infected with Covid. Some schools reopened and lots of kids got sick. If your cool with that that is destroying America.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 AM

40,956 posts, read 49,260,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
They may have long-expired but many businesses are going under because they could not survive the lock downs.
Places like Bars, Clubs, Health Clubs, Spas are still shut down. Eateries are reduced capacity to 25-50%.

Hotel vacancy rate is 50-60%. Businesses depend on schools, concerts, football games, sports all shut down now.

There is still plenty of lock down going on.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:11 AM

34,256 posts, read 18,624,274 times
Quote:
Capitalism is a merit based system that promotes efficiency, hard work and INNOVATION. Without it we would be doomed to a meager, Soviet Union type existence and big, oppressive government which is what you Leftists want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies