Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 02:01 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,805,582 times

Advertisements

This has been my hunch. Some states may have this, but others don't. We only have a couple months to the election. The USPS is already a slow and antiquated system, one step above mailman on horseback. No one sends anything of value in the regular mail.

We can't get this up and running fast enough. We will end up with CHAOS in November. A contested election and a vicious power struggle. This is not what we need right now: months of fighting over the results.

And then whoever wins, their four years will be ceaselessly undermined by the opposition as illegitimate, thus ripping our country further apart.

This can be revisited for 2024, but not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 02:04 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,467,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
https://crosscut.com/2020/04/washing...uilt-overnight

https://mynorthwest.com/1893385/rant...mail-national/

Why didn't the democrats in congress start this in 2009 or 2010? They had FULL control over congress AND the white house and they could have. They want to push something that takes 5-10 years to implement safely and accurately in 5-10 WEEKS. They can claim its to keep people safe all they want but with early voting, absentee voting etc etc its already plenty safe for people with any immune system issues. My parents and grandmother early vote or absentee vote because its hard for them to leave the house at times or just for convenience, yet I ALWAYS vote on election day its my tradition. If democrats cared about people's safety we wouldn't have seen seniors shoved into nursing homes and left to die, this entire china virus thing has become a HUGE political football and the left thinks they can use a crisis to get something they COULD HAVE HAD when they controlled the entire government.

Thanks to the efforts of Washington Secretary of State Kim Wyman, we have a fully functioning and safe vote-by-mail system here. Is it perfect? No. We still have instances of fraud, however minimal. A national system will have the same fraud in the future. If you implement it for November, you’ll have a ton of fraud.
It doesn’t. Salt Lake County did a turnaround when they figured out the electronic machines were not going to be replaced because of the expense.

Took one election cycle and we were on board.

And I was a city clerk for a city in Utah.

So this line that it takes a decade is bull pucky. Absentee ballots have been around forever. It’s not much more than that.

And Utah learned from Washington and Oregon - because they sent people there to learn what it took to make the transition.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:29 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,772,052 times
OP, it sounds like you support full implementation of mail in elections if Democrats take the Senate and presidency. We can start the planning and implementation immediately. My state of Washington has been using mail in ballots for many years. You register at the DMV when you get your license, it's very convenient.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 8,238,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Reforming?

I first got a whiff that the Postal Service was being choked off from a friend who who lives in Lubbock. She said the mail man doesn't come every day - many missed days during the last few weeks.

You can't believe that it's just a PURE coincidence that the president is trying to kill the postal service at the very time when they will be relied on to transport a lot of votes against him for this election?

Do you?
6/20/20
Lubbock Became COVID-19 Hotspot this week
Account for time for more quarantines to trickle down to the workforce in order to control the infection rate along with it being prime vacation season for postal workers and there you go.

Los Angeles District was able to keep delivering everyday until about the 4th of July when the critical mass of people being out sick was hit. Nowmany of our customers were lucky to get just machinable, meaning no flat mail even if it was 1st class, or magazines and parcels two days a week as we work 12 hours on and off but finally are being limited to a 60 hour week which theoretically we can't exceed. On my last check stub, inside the period after the PMG announced to no overtime goal I have logged 64 and 62 hour weeks

Old 08-16-2020, 03:15 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,884,432 times
If the Repubs. (and American public) are too stupid, weak and lazy to resist this rushed, last minute, highly suspect and vulnerable mail-in voting plan for 50-million voters, then America may well deserves what we get. Why is it that the liberals seem to come-up with all of these 'crazy, end-run' plans to get rid of Trump ... and the Repubs., except for Trump, all seem unable to effectively respond? Where are the checks and balances?

I'm sick of the shenanigans of the far left and their media-minions, in their all-out efforts to destroy America, for any possibility of overturning the 2016 Trump election! IMO (and hope), the 2020 elections are going to send another loud and clear message to the left and media that their kind of un-American activity does not pass muster with the voting public!

Old 08-16-2020, 03:17 PM

6,382 posts, read 2,948,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
That's easy. They don't want a safe accurate way to vote. They want to win.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:02 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,467,008 times
VBM has been around for well over 15 years. Oregon started it in 1987.

Period.

https://multco.us/elections/brief-hi...te-mail-oregon

Washington State began in 1993. Colorado followed not far behind.

Republicans love it. Trust me - I know.

Utah started VBM when the tea baggers were getting a foothold in Utah - turning out Robert Bennett in the Senate.

Sent a red flag up that Republicans in the state were not voting in numbers they wanted to see.

Now they swear by it because VBM raised turnout by over 50%.

Vote by Mail is not a “leftist” “Liberal” conspiracy.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:40 AM

2,707 posts, read 1,039,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
OP, it sounds like you support full implementation of mail in elections if Democrats take the Senate and presidency. We can start the planning and implementation immediately. My state of Washington has been using mail in ballots for many years. You register at the DMV when you get your license, it's very convenient.
No I don't support it at all but I am saying if the dems wanted it they should have done it under Obama in 2009 and 2010.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,307,103 times
No it doesn’t. We went to the Moon in less time than that after declaring that we were going. We need a month or two TOPS!

Knock it off with the hyperbole. SMH

Old 08-17-2020, 09:51 AM

39,128 posts, read 51,420,287 times
How voting is done is a state function and not up to Pelosi or the Feds or Trump. The states can do this if Trump stays out of it and stops trying to sabotage and rig an election he can't win without cheating (again).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies