Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 12:54 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
If you want to solve problems in US cities you need to look at those people running the cities and not just Washington.

LA and San Francisco are extremely wealthy and in California which has a massive GDP, whilst Washington State is also home to all kinds of tech companies as well as being the HQ of Boeing.

Chicago with it's stock exchange, has a status as an important financial centre, whilst NYC is one of the richest cities in the world.

We have all seen how areas of LA have been allowed to become third world ghettos and this is not a recent thing and the same applies to San Francisco and other cities.

My only surprise is that plague and medieval diseases haven't taken hold never mind Covid-19.

Trump has some power but this is balanced by the powers given to States and Cities and without addressing the problems at a local level through the support of Mayors then things are just going to become worse.

It's all very well attacking Trump and claiming it's because he claims credit for every good thing, however some of these city Mayors have acted in a childish and moronic manner in order to try and bring about maximum chaos.

It's little wonder that those who live in these cities are thinking of leaving.
Name a time LA didn’t have third world ghetto areas. Maybe between 1950-1960 the areas covered only 5% of the city but pre 1950 LA had third world areas and spot 1960 LA had third world areas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Los_Angeles

The argument that LA was at any point in time a safe haven with zero third world areas doesn’t gel with reality. Same with SF same eight nearly every American city. The only difference between these cities over the decade was where? the third world areas were and if they were increasing in size or shrinking in size.

LA is putting up record low murder rates not in 1950s but today same with NYC which in 2028 put up the lowest numbers seen in 70 years, and the next year put up numbers a little higher than that. 2020 has had a massive increase but it’s from the lowest numbers in 70 years. Even a massive increase means that NYC is seeing a routine year from 2000-2010, that how safe the city has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 04:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
It'll be fine.

NYC is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better now than in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
I hear it is a ghost town until after dark.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:05 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Well I think that is a big over stating it but I can see 10 years or so before it comes back.

If the WTC crumbling to the ground didn't destroy NYC... nothing will.

9-11 UNIFIED NYC................blm surely won't.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I hope New York City doesn't ever come back. It is a nightmare of unbridled authoritarian corporate and crony capitalism.

It has become a place where only the massively wealthy can survive comfortably, a fringe of the disenfranchised can wallow on SNAP and Section 8, and what remains of the middle and working class, those whose work is exploited by the wealthy, can only desperately cling to a life there before being forced to flee.

Add to that identity politics exploiters like Mayor DiBlasio and the self centerdness and ineptitude of several of its other ridiculously self-centered former mayors, democrat and republican, and you have a recipe for a world capital in decline.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:50 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
You can thank the brain dead Democrats for destroying NYC .....

Old 08-23-2020, 06:58 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Of course it isn't logical.

Think of how many of those cities had to come back after WWII.
If that didn't destroy them, why are people so eager to believe that current events will?

Is it anything more than wishful thinking on the part of those who hate our great cities?
I think not.
The cities that were destroyed in World War II were flattened by bombs dropped by outside enemies. Once the war was ended, and the bombers stopped flying, the cities could be rebuilt. But now, the cities are being destroyed from within, by their own feckless leaders and by looters and rioters and sky-high tax rates and the removal of police protection. How do you fight back against this?

I am conservative, this is true, but I love our great cities. In fact, I lived in one of them for 10 years. I hate to see what's been happening to them in 2020. New York may well survive and prosper, and I hope it does. But only someone wearing blinders can't see that the city is facing some serious trouble right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies